• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Difficulty of flight school

Status
Not open for further replies.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I have not. It sounds like your only getting part of someones story. If you pass api then you passed. I dont think that the wing is going to attrite someone before they even start training. Now, if a person starts ground school and tanks the first couple of tests or bombs his CPT's, then they may look back and see if he has a problem. So, I would be willing to bet that you arent getting the whole story if someone told you that. I know a guy that barely made it through ocs (academically), and the same at API. He's barely passed the ground school here and even tanked a cpt and got a ready room down. He is still in training. So.....If looking at his situation compared to the story you have given, it just dosent jive.

Dave

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
Do you guys in Primary get to fly in IMC(clouds)? I heard all of the training is done VFR, if that's true when do they let you punch wx.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I think everyone is different when it comes to required study time. My old roomate had a lot of problems in primary. IMO, he studied way too much and was not mentally prepared for the flight. He usually only had 2-3hrs of sleep. That's not enough for a beginner. He learned his lesson after 3 downs in Primary
bigeyes2_125.gif
Unfortunetly he was booted with three flights left in advanced helo's for roughing up an IP after a flight. Long story on that one.

I was lucky or at least just took things in stride. I spent at most 2 hours studying for a flight, sometimes much less. I didn't do stellar in flight school (52 NSS in primary/50 in advanced) but not bad either. The FRS was a bit more difficult and that's where the real studying begins. The FRS steps it up a notch and I remember having academic problems at first in the FRS due to my not so intense study habits. I can always tell right off the bat those students who have poor study habits. Many come to see me (I'm the Student Control Officer for VAW-120)when they earn that pink sheet and I give them the lecture. Anyway, like someone said, you need to find what best works for you and stick with it. If it takes 6 hours to prepare for a flight, so be it but don't put yourself in a hurt locker with lack of sleep either. Just be prepared and as well rested as possible.

FRS Flight Instructor

beau

I would have to agree with bunk about sleep and being perpared. When I was going up for all of my check rides for all my Civy ratings i made sure that I was both Mentally and Physically prepared. Physicall by getting plently of sleep and food/water. Mentally by knowing the knowledge and (most importantly for the flight) chair fly exactly what you think the flight will be like and think out loud (talk your self through everything). Hell talk through everything in the flight as well, so at least they know your have been praticing (right or wrong)....my two cents.

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

phrogs

Originally posted by hennekecfi
Do you guys in Primary get to fly in IMC(clouds)? I heard all of the training is done VFR, if that's true when do they let you punch wx.

Most of Primary is VMC, but there are instrument flights towards the end which can be in actual instrument conditions.....On the return trip of my cross country (went to Boston)2 of the legs were almost entirely in the clouds. Fighting "the leans" for most of it
spin_125.gif

Phrogs 4 Ever!!!!

LadyJayUSN

Said beau
I would have to agree with bunk about sleep and being perpared. When I was going up for all of my check rides for all my Civy ratings i made sure that I was both Mentally and Physically prepared. Physicall by getting plently of sleep and food/water. Mentally by knowing the knowledge

...now, now beau....don't forget we took Commercial Ground together AND we shared the same instructor....don't be tellin' these folks little white lies about your great study and sleeping habits...
drunk_125.gif

haha...congrats kids on your recent commissioning and selection to flight school...

<I SWIM 'CAUSE I'M TOO DAMNED SEXY FOR SPORTS THAT REQUIRE CLOTHING>

aviatormo

RC,

I know that 2 of my friends had to go to a PRB before starting primary. It was because their NSS scores were fairly low although they too made it through API. I think (my opinion based on what my friends told me) that the purpose is for the board to discuss their concerns and to let you know what is expected of you at primary. I don't expect that you will be attrited unless you don't perform down the line. I will be starting primary in 1.5 weeks at Whiting so I will see you there, if that is where you are going for primary.

Moses Smith

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
someone said it'll be different for everyone. That couldn't be more true. Some guys read something once and own it. Some guys, like me, have to go over it for a while, maybe get in the sim and do it a few times no matter how simple it seems. It's all about muscle memory. When the airplane seems to be flying itself and you're free to think about the task at hand you're starting to get it. I didn't study enough early on in primary but I fixed it and got jets. It gets easier as you go as well. I guess the brain is like any other muscle, the more you work it the stronger it gets. It's kinda' like there's a place in your brain for the OCF procedure and when you move on to another platform it's easy to just slide the new procedure in there. It probably took me a few hours to memorize each procedure in primary, but very little time to do it in the RAG. Also each community is different. I've heard horror stories from buddies of mine who got helos about briefing so long that they just had to cancel the hop and do it the next day. That's fuggin' crazy, we brief for an hour, maybe two if it's an early flight in phase and then we go flying. In Kingsville the instructors seemed to do most of the talking. Hate to toot my own horn but I was first in my class in VT 6 and first among marines in my winging class and I had all kinds of free time for golf, car work or whatever I wanted to do. Consequently, I've gotten my first choice in every choice I've had to make. the first one was jets, the second one was Hornets. I took advantage of my time in flight school because I knew it would be the last time where my sole purpose in life was learning to fly. After the RAG, you get a job, and OBTW, you get to fly sometimes. live it up gents, there's alot to be said for being well known in the O'club, especially in Kingsville. If the instructors know you and they've partied with you they'll undoubtedly give you the benefit of the doubt if you're not 100% up to snuff on some brief item. You want to be one of the boys is all I'm saying, not some pansy who's always in a hurry to get home... It makes more difference than you think. Unfortunate perhaps, but true in my experience.

stay motivated

beau

sir,

thats good advise on the personality side of things. I know your not saying that Naval Flight Training is a popularity contest, but I understand what you mean by being one of the boys/girls :). I guess what your saying is dont burn bridges, because personality will follow you through your career?

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Shaggy

Someone above said it is similar to an FAA 141 flight school. I go to Embry Riddle and am an areo sci major. I can tell you it is not hard at all. They have thrown a lot of stuff at us and said the beginning is the hardest and it gets easier which it does, and the begining is really not hard in the first place. I have the academic part down as far as prop planes go (will have private, insturment, commercial, and multi). Also will have a lot of basic flight knowledge down too.

But then again my school trains the Airforce pilots, so im sure the naval flight will be a good deal harder :p

Embry Riddle student, Daytona campus - delayed entry for Marine Corps enlistment (f18 mechanic in reserves until college ends) - after officership hopefully a flight block

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think it is a broken record, and has already been stated AD NASEUM, but here goes... Do your best, talk to your peers and those ahead of you during training, and find what study habits work the best for you. As chip mentioned, if you aren't out and talking (networking for you civilian folks), then you are missing something. Whether it is talking to IPs in the rdy room and getting answers, to downing some cold tasty ones at the Oclub, you need to be out there and a part of the community. No one wants to see you fail, and all through training and in the Fleet, anytime I had a question or needed assistance, there was someone on hand to help. We are a community of extroverts and type A personalities, competition is good, and being there for your friend and sharing your knowledge/experience is the keys to success. It started back in the days when I was going through VT6, and I have quite honestly, rarely (if ever) came across someone or a situation where there wasn't help available (from the maintainer on the hangar deck that knows the engine better than you EVER will, but would love to help you learn it, to the intel weenie that has the tactical info you need to shine on your board). I just don't think the inDUHvidual that sits in the BOQ, or back at the JO bachelor pad, and doesn't socialize and seek out friendships, is going to be as professionally competent and useful as they could be.

Make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.