• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Difficulty of flight school

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtdonovan03

how difficult is naval flight school academically? how many hours a night would one spend studing?

william donovan

BYSun

Perhaps long enough to know it is spelled "academically" :>

Sorry, but I couldn't resist the irony ~_^ But you ask a very good question, I have the physical fitness down pretty well (I think) but the academics is concerning me too. Not that I can't understand the various material, but the time constraint has got to be hellish. I mean, some of the subjects I find difficult to believe are effectively crammed into a week to a week and a half of class time.
Nontheless, I suppose part of the challenge will be to find a way. An officer has to be a leader, and sometimes the path is not clearly defined.

Bryce

In the end it all comes down to a simple choice, get busy livin' or get busy dyin' - The Shawshank Redemption

csnaer542

academically, the "firehose" method. They will throw a lot at you and expect you to know it in a very short period of time. I have been through an FAA 141 flight school. That is similar in respect to how much they throw at you and very little time to study until test time! The key is to find a good study rythm. Everyone learns differently, and you have to divide your time in ways to benfit you. Part of being a naval officer.

"Dreams do come true to those who dare to face the challenge!"

dhafeman

7-8 hours studying about airplanes? Who could possibly complain about that? It will be nice to study something practical for once after four years of theoretical crap like boundary layer theory. (i seriously had to take a class called that = no fun) Any other engineers agree with me on this one? I also went through a 141 school. Lots of studying, but the material can actually be understood by normal people, so if you have the love for aviation, I wouldn't worry too much.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Must agree with the "nice to study something practical for once.." comment. You're right, I felt the same way. Although, probably 2/3 of what you'll learn at API is BS, even the instructors will tell you so. It's funny when you're studying dated material and the instructor says "this is what you need to know for the test, but don't pay any attention to any of it because it's not true. Don't try to have an educated debate about any of it because it's wrong and it'll make you look like an ass." Although it was much easier and more interesting than 90% of what I was taught in college. Solo's are Fam13 -- last Fam flight before you start PA's or Form's in his case. I've got my last PA solo this morning and start Form's on Monday. That'll give you an idea how fast it comes: I started PA's on Tuesday and will finish them this morning. Can you imagine? I flew twice with an instructor then the third was a solo. They actually gave me a T34 to take out and loop/aileron roll/barrel roll/wingover! I only got to do each maneuver 3-4 times with an instructor before I got to do it by myself! That just amazes me. I flew with an instructor yesterday and grayed her out like 5 times, it was hilarious.
Anyway, yeah, it's a whole lot of studying. But, if you can get the pace right and study for 3-4 hours a night, it's hard to complain because you're getting to go on a 2 1/2 hour flight! If you've got a good onwing -- you're money.

jrklr

I'm with you dhafeman, I'm an ME at Cal Poly. I wish I was done with this science crap and able to learn about stuff I'm really interested in, like naval aviation. I honestly cant wait, not that engineering isn't interesting or anything (ha).

BeanFighter

pilot
Since your "hilarious" flight on the 3rd is well recorded it is not wise to post such on the web. Discression please, instructors like it.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Did I say something wrong?
tapedshut_125.gif

NOSWO

Naval Aviator, MH-60S Knighthawk
Solos and Night FAMs are the only "non stress" evolutions in primary, you ever notice that non of the bad stuff (engine failures, fires Chip Lights, etc...) happens when you are by yourself...IPs are just bad luck :)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
LOL, I must say that the first solo I flew was absolutely eerie. No one was yelling at me, the plane wasn't falling apart, and everything worked the way it should. An absolute blast, and I enjoyed each of those flights in primary.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
DO the IP's really yell at you in the cockpit? Just curious.

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It depends on the IP's teaching style, I only encountered two "screamers", and I yelled back at them. There are a lot of different teaching styles, and I noticed a variety of different approaches to get you engaged. But, to answer your question, no, the majority of them don't "yell" at you. But when it comes to procedures, and if you have your head up your ass, stand by....

jlinscott

Just curious, but how many hours are you at the training squadron before you can go and study for these 6-8 hours? For example, are you in class (or doing other duties) for 10 hours then go to the lounge (or home) and study for 8 hours, go home and sleep for 5 hours then go work out and then repeat? Or is there time to study between evolutions at the training squadron?

RC

Have a any of you guys on here in Primary heard about marginal students out of API(which have met all requirements and graduated) going up for PRB when entering Primary (before even starting) and being attrited because of marginal work in API? Anyone got any info on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.