• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Depth perception mega thread

michaelaj

Depth Perception

Currently I am a 3/C midshipman in rotc...The problem I have right now is that I have poor depth perception. My number one career field is NFO. Though I believe it is disqualifying for naval aviator, is lack of depth perception disqualifying for NFO as well? I need to know this ASAP before I make any firm commitments to anything. Thanks a lot.

jooman360

failed depth perception test

Hi i am applying for navy pilot, NFO then Suppy officer. Sadly I failed the depth perception test, and my recruiter said I won't get another chance. Then I talked to an aspiring marine pilot and he said he was given another chance at the test, but that was the same day. Would the marines give me a chance to retake that test? And an NFO does not need to pass the depth perception test right?

MSkinsATC

pilot
I got a second chance about 6 weeks later after my optometrist said I had perfect depth perception. Not really sure what is going on now, but you should be able to get another shot at it if you want Pilot, just matters how much you want it and how much you are willing to fight for it.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Search around on here. There's a thread going on about this now.

What others have done is gone to a civillian doctor to get retested and then included that in their application...if they passed.

Good luck.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
How is this depth perception test performed? I'm curious as to how they do this.

They put groups of letters together like so:

A B C D E
A B C D E
A B C D E

..and then go line by line asking you which letter "stands out". Most of them are pretty obvious and will jump right out at you. For some reason however, I was tripped up on one or two and they just didn't "jump out" and my right away. I had to squint/look away and look back to figure it out. Slightly awkward.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Yep mine was like that except instead of letters, they used circles under lettered columns.

It's like those old magic eye images in the 90's

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
How did you do the test? Did you put your head in the thing and try to focus? That's what I did on the test when I was going through MEPS when I enlisted and failed it miserably. The guy told me I would never be a pilot with my depth perception. Before I applied to the Marine Corps for a pilot slot, I talked to an Air Force flight doc and she recommended that I not do it that way. She recommended to look into the device and quickly spot the circle that stands out without trying to focus and then removing your head and let your eyes quickly readjust by looking across the room, then look back in at the second line after a few seconds, quickly spot the circle again without focusing and look outside again...repeat for the rest of the test. Since I've done it that way, I've smoked it all 3 times I've done it as an officer. I hope you get another shot at it. That test is outdated and should be changed. Good luck.

nugget81

pilot
Try this:
MagicEye.gif

If you can see what it is, you're good to go. I swear I use the same technique for that test as I do for these things.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Try this:
MagicEye.gif

If you can see what it is, you're good to go. I swear I use the same technique for that test as I do for these things.

I have NEVER seen one of these things. I used to stand in the damn mall staring at them wondering what the hell everyone was looking at. Maddening.

On a related note, not once, since NAMI, have I "passed" a depth perception test. I NEVER see one letter that stands out more than another and my actual depth perception is fine. No idea, but maybe my mind doesn't appreciate the trick required to "see" these.

It's pretty amusing actually...I'll go in and tell the Corpsman that I've never really "passed" one of these...they administer it and I'll guess "Yeah, the third one stands out." and the Corpsman will say something to the effect of "What's that sir? The first one? Nice job".:D Total F-in joke once you get past that first one.

PA-28III

Pro-Rec SNA with BDCP
I passed the depth perception, but I have never been able to see the shapes pop out of those things. I’ve spent so much time trying to see those things with out any return!:icon_rage