• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Depth perception mega thread

jet_ifr

try the See Clearly Method

http://www.seeclearlymethod.com/

BTW: I am in no way affiliated with, endorse or promote the use of the See Clearly Method, I just use it and it works.

I fly. Me pilot?

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
just got my eyes tested by an opthmologist.
20/30! Anyways, he said that using the computer a lot can cause myopia and astigmatism.
He said closing my eyes and doing clock exercises and rolling them around can help alleviate it. Also, doing quick near and far glances can help visual acuity. I'd feel funny following this advice from the internet, but this was an actual eye doctor... so can't hurt right?

bigolieturbo

Blurry 20-20 and depth perception

I was told recetly while going through the normal physical that I have blurry 20-20 vision and that is the reason I failed the depth perception test. which dot is nearest to you. I have passed other Depth Perception tests but just not the one at MEPS. Has anyone else had this problem and what do you do?

kevin

if you let your eyes relax and dont "try" to see the dots, it usually becomes clear which dot is "moving".

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
remember those magic eye posters (from Mall Rats the movie)

If you treat that test like you do those pictures, it is really easy. Whereas if you stare at the circles and try to focus on each one, it is near impossible.

kimphil

Stop masturbating; it will make you go blind.
magnify_125.gif

Raptor2216

Ummm..I had the same thing happen to me. I have perfect vision and i failed the stupid depth perception exam at MEPS...so I went to an optomitrist and had my eyes re-checked out..turns out there wasn't anything wrong with my vision. The exam is sort of flaud I guess. Go to a private doc and have them do the depth perception exam..i'm pretty sure you'll pass.

usmctanks

I heard a rumor that after TBS they make you re-take your flight physical. During this physical they washout a huge percentage of candidates for the most minor things. However, during my physical at Whidbey Is. the flight surgeon said this initial flight physical was the only one that counts. Does anyone know the real deal?

E6286

OCC 191 Select
For anybody worried about the Depth Perception Test

Okay guys. If you had trouble with the depth perception test at MEPS you know you can go to a private optometrist for a private consulation. My advice is to go somewhere that uses the RANDOT depth perception test. It is easy. The navy requires 40 seconds of arc and I test to 20 seconds of arc this morning which is significantly better than what is required. I also asked the Optometrist why the one the Navy uses is so difficult and he said that those machines they use can sometimes cause the eye to error. It is not uncommon. Therefore, if you have trouble at MEPS don't sweat it. Later. Ed

Shadow9660

DEPTH PERCEPTION QUESTION PILOTS/NFO's

I recently took my flight physical and scored fine on color vision, and my acuity is ok (going for NFO anyway)...but I seemed to have trouble with the depth perception test in seeing those "o"s that stood out. I know this is DQfying for Pilot (not for NFO) according to NAMI's site, but is there different types of depth perception tests used? Also will PRK help this at all? I researched it a little, and supposedly people with depth perception problems have trouble with their eye's "working as a team", i.e. hitting/catching in baseball....but I did great in little league and have good hand/eye coordination, no eye diseases.... any body have any personal experience or info on this subject? Thanks.

usmcecho4

pilot
the test you took is wierd. I took it and was wondering what the hell was happening the whole time...goofy glasses and everything. There is a different test where there are metal strips that are placed in front of you and you have to tell which of the three strips is that farthest away. It is much easier than the other test and you should look into it if you can.

kill,
usmcecho4

c17wannabe

I had problems with the Air Force and Navy depth perception tests. There is a trick though. Get good at the "Magic Eye" pictures, because they use the stereo vision method to work. If you can see the 3-D pictures in the Magic Eye, you can use the same technique to see the circles. I went from seeing one line, to seeing every section perfectly. Good Luck! :)