• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Deployment video causing heat for Enterprise Skipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Hmm...serious doubts about his ability to command? I better go scrub my facebook page, all those squadron function pictures that I'm shithoused in could really come back to bite me in the ass if I'm ever a CO, at this rate.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Hmm...serious doubts about his ability to command? I better go scrub my facebook page, all those squadron function pictures that I'm shithoused in could really come back to bite me in the ass if I'm ever a CO, at this rate.

Scrub it before you look for a real job also. I know a lot of major contractors who will look at anything of yours online that they can.

phrogpilot73

Scrub it before you look for a real job also. I know a lot of major contractors who will look at anything of yours online that they can.
Not just major contractors, smaller contractors do it too. I'm pretty sure that the guys at EWTGLANT didn't scrub any of my stuff - since I deployed with one guy, one guy and I went to TBS together, and three of the guys (now civilians) were instructors when I went through the course. They already knew me and could vouch for me. I don't doubt that had they NOT known me - things might have been different.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If there's anything on your FB page that's open for the public to see other than your name and your profile pic, you fail at technology. Oh, and you can also check the box to keep the Google bots from indexing you. You can check another box so only friends can see that you're tagged in a photo. And if you're the type of person that friends hundreds of people you don't actually know in real life, well, yeah.

Set the privacy settings to "friends only" and only friend those you know or knew in the past. Watch what and where you post. It ain't rocket surgery.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

It always blows my mind. Many civilians think that it's not normal to get shithoused on a weekly basis. Or, for that matter, to fart in public or say "that's what she said" at work. Prudish freaks. Screw them.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
1. The XO/CO of the ENTERPRISE fucked up when he made the vids ... and, in point of fact, the choice of 'humor' displayed in the vids really wasn't all that 'funny' ... PLUS ... he left a trail and opened the door to put himself on report. I don't care whether or not YOU are an OUTSTANDING leader, an average one, or someone who's substandard but has been covering his/her shortcomings and hasn't been 'outed' as of yet. If/when you EVER do that (put yourself on report), you're a goddamn fool ...

DON'T EVER PUT YOURSELF ON REPORT.

As an aside, I never understood the mindset of 'leaders' who felt the need to be 'buddies' w/ the troops ...
there's something's missing here. You're either a leader or you are not. That doesn't mean you can't stand up for your guys -- to the death -- be friendly -- be interested in them on a personal/professional level -- and support them. I found my point of view validated over and over and over in many ways & on many days ...

Believe it.

2. You fellows who participate in 'social networks' are fools. Someday, it's going to bite you in the ass. These internet creations are UN-professional -- for professionals -- and they represent a desperate, needy, attention-whore segment of our 'society' ... they are NOT worthy of 'professionals'.

Believe it.

3. If you don't like the ever-changing nature of "what's acceptable conduct" in the USN ... then you need to consider other venues for a permanent vocation. THE NAVY ALWAYS EATS ITS OWN ... always has, always will. If/when the shit hits the fan -- THE NAVY WILL NOT BACK YOU UP. It hasn't historically, why do you think it would in a PC world ... ???

Believe it.

4. If you can compromise your innate instincts which brought YOU to the 'warrior' lifestyle in the first place, and
you can eat shit & howl at the moon ... then stay in, become a 'manager', and learn the joys (?) of the bureaucratic PC lifestyle in a blue uniform w/ gold buttons, by all means.

5. If you can't eat shit -- and won't compromise your basic instincts -- and you don't/won't howl at the moon -- then vote with your feet.

You cannot and WILL NOT change the 'beast' while you're in the belly of the beast. Those of you who think you can 'change the system' from within are dreamers, idealists, or just plain naive. To remain in the system when you don't agree w/ it shows your 'handlers' that you WILL go along, get along. You give them breathing space. That's all the further they think ...

The ONLY time you can make a difference AND change policy is when you 'get their attention' ... as in when 80% + of squadron LTs were GETTIN' OUT in the Carter years. The military-Regan years profited from 'our' taking a principled stand.

Believe it.

6. And ... you are welcome.

93651736.jpg

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
2. You fellows who participate in 'social networks' are fools. Someday, it's going to bite you in the ass. These internet creations are UN-professional -- for professionals -- and they represent a desperate, needy, attention-whore segment of our 'society' ... they are NOT worthy of 'professionals'.

Believe it.
Well, I guess we'd better shut AW down, then. After all, just your family and friends can see Facebook entries, if you secure it. The whole bloody world sees this place. And putting a name to a forum handle ain't hard if you try . . .

CAMike

None
Contributor
^^ Post 159- I suppose I'm a dreamer, idealist and general underdog fan in most things in life. BUT- when I posted the following on the Secretary of the Navy's Facebook site I was a little disappointed that no one did any follow up. Aviator, SWO - it doesn't matter, when one of us goes down, the TEAM needs to step up to the line and support that individual IF it's a virtuous cause. I see this as a virtuous cause. http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=355907587002&topic=15647

Are you willing to step up to the line and sound off? I fear for the future of Naval Aviation and Officer leadership if they FAIL to make their case in fear of __brand x_____. Get the point? Feet walking is one way but there are other ways, so I've been told.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apples & oranges. AW's it tight if one chooses to be 'tight'. If you go the 'extra mile' to post on social networking websites ... then all bets are off.
I'd say oranges and kumquats. FB is "tight" if one chooses to be "tight," too. The security options are there to be used. If you use it to keep in touch with friends and family, you can do that. And you can set it up so the rest of the world can't Google or see any of it. If you choose to be an attention whore and post pics of your drunken escapades and then friend all 500 people in your silly "mafia" or "farm" or whatever, then that's your own INFOSEC issue. If some knucklehead friend of yours puts you down on some dumb "10 facts I know about nittany03" app, you can block it so it doesn't show up.

And if Zuckerberg tries to redefine what "privacy" is and force me to "be more open," I'll can my account in a heartbeat. I don't show up on Google searches despite my FB account, and just like here, I think before I post online anywhere. I've been outed by my AW handle enough times in the real Navy, and know the AW handles of enough people in my community, not to put any stock in online anonymity.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'd say oranges and kumquats....anonymity.
Meh ... I've had 3-4 guys walk up to me over the last few years and say: "ARE YOU A4s" ???

I just say: "Huh" ??? ... and they walk away, looking sheepish while I fart in their general direction ...

p.s. I'm in the ******* section of names on the VA-128 tail @ the NUW O'Club bar ... :eek:

das

Contributor
Apples & oranges. AW's it tight if one chooses to be 'tight'. If you go the 'extra mile' to post on social networking websites ... then all bets are off.

A4s, grasshopper here. I have to disagree with you. This very forum can loosely be defined as a "social network"; posting here isn't substantially different than how many people interact on most "social networking" sites. Sure, it's a bit easier to remain quasi-anonymous on a web forum, but if anything, the comparison is one of different varieties of apples...

Social networks of various kinds bring great value to many in their personal and professional lives. Like anywhere, you have ego-driven attention seekers -- social networks don't have some kind of monopoly on this. They can be time sinks, and they can be useful. They are just tools; they are not inherently good or bad.

With the particular example of Facebook, it can absolutely be used securely and wisely, both privately and professionally...the idea here is one of benefits outweighing risks. The IC, DOD, Navy, and IDC senior leadership agree and have taken steps to exist in and accommodate these realms, officially and unofficially.

H60Gunner

Contributor
Anyone besides MB, HAL, Pickles, and fedoc can tell me my real name in a PM I'll give rep. (and mods don't count) ea6b you have my last name wrong. close but wrong, and good source that is me.

das

Contributor
Anyone besides MB, HAL, Pickles, and fedoc can tell me my real name in a PM I'll give rep.

That's not the point...you can choose to be private, anonymous, or both when using Facebook just as easily as a web forum.

(And it's difficult to be truly and permanently anonymous anywhere on the Internet, if someone really wants to target you in particular, but that's a different topic entirely...)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
have to disagree with you.......
That's O.K. ... no harm, no foul.

You guys who support/promote social networking websites are only focusing on ONE point in a 6 point post ...

I'll take an .833 batting average anyway, anyday ...

Plus ... you're wrong.
:)

The beat goes on ...

Status
Not open for further replies.