• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Death By PowerPoint

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
that was pretty short by flight brief standards. The worst I saw was a 196 slide NSI check brief

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
a 196 slide NSI check brief

I thought MINE was long at maybe 25. If you can't generate a product in the magic 6 hours, it probably doesn't belong as part of a brief. After all, you're supposed to be demonstrating what an ideal flight brief is. A 2 hour opus in 4 parts with bathroom breaks really isn't conveying what you mean to tell. The good stuff gets lost in the crap. Rule of thumb--it shouldn't take longer to describe an event than it actually does to do it.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought MINE was long at maybe 25. If you can't generate a product in the magic 6 hours, it probably doesn't belong as part of a brief. After all, you're supposed to be demonstrating what an ideal flight brief is. A 2 hour opus in 4 parts with bathroom breaks really isn't conveying what you mean to tell. The good stuff gets lost in the crap. Rule of thumb--it shouldn't take longer to describe an event than it actually does to do it.

Agree, mine was 63 slides, almost all imagery type slides. Some of the best section briefs I have ever sat through required little more than a map and two post it notes. The problem though is that now advanced quals and designations seem to require the PowerPoint Opus.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agree, mine was 63 slides, almost all imagery type slides. Some of the best section briefs I have ever sat through required little more than a map and two post it notes. The problem though is that now advanced quals and designations seem to require the PowerPoint Opus.

It pains me greatly when someone is giving a brief with eye charts full of text. I don't want to read 1000 words of text in a brief, that defeats the point. Lots of imagery makes me happy.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
It pains me greatly when someone is giving a brief with eye charts full of text. I don't want to read 1000 words of text in a brief, that defeats the point. Lots of imagery makes me happy.
Lots of text sucks...unless the briefer proceeds to read every freakin' word that is on the slide.

Then it is great!:timebomb2

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Lots of text sucks...unless the briefer proceeds to read every freakin' word that is on the slide.

Then it is great!:timebomb2

Oh Gawd, that is the 10 circle of hell being in one of those! If you're going to put all your speaker notes on a big screen behind you, sit the hell down and I'll deliver the brief!

Pugs

Back from the range
None
As far as mission briefings, if I can't put it on a kneeboard it's not worth knowing.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
No, but that would add to its veracity.:icon_wink

very similar pictures (sorry, had to look ...)
USCG_C130_Hercules.jpg

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as mission briefings, if I can't put it on a kneeboard it's not worth knowing.

CAS = kneeboard hell. I have to use my approach strap on my other leg to keep everything organized, as well as putting charts under my thighs on the seat.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CAS = kneeboard hell. I have to use my approach strap on my other leg to keep everything organized, as well as putting charts under my thighs on the seat.

Welcome to the club. WTF is your WSO doing back there? My standard has always been, if your pilot is wearing two kneeboards, you're not doing your job. :D

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome to the club. WTF is your WSO doing back there? My standard has always been, if your pilot is wearing two kneeboards, you're not doing your job. :D

Brett

Also wearing two kneeboards :) A lot of the cards I have for backup, as most of them are WSO responsibility, but there are still a few I use all the time, such as 9-line cards, charts, admin, etc.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also wearing two kneeboards :) A lot of the cards I have for backup, as most of them are WSO responsibility, but there are still a few I use all the time, such as 9-line cards, charts, admin, etc.

LOL Ah, to be a nugget again. I'll tell you what a senior LT told me in the RAG: There will be a time in the not so distant future when you'll be able to go out and do just about any mission your jet can do without batting an eye, or even thinking too much about it, or having to sweat about the planning that you fret over today. You'll just go and do it because it's what you do, and because you're good at your job.

Brett