• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dear Boss, I quit! A letter to Air Force leadership....

Pags

N/A
pilot
Sounds like someone thought he was going to spend his time gunning commies from the skies and feels that his skills are wasted in having to support the wars. Boo hoo. Maybe this guy can fight Mr. UAV.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Sounds like someone thought he was going to spend his time gunning commits from the skies and feels that his skills are wasted in having to support the wars. Boo hoo. Maybe this guy is Mr. UAV.

Fixed it for ya...

hscs

pilot
This douche-nozzle lost me when misspelled the Secretary of Defense's name...A SECDEF who love some of his calls or hate them...was a class act who gave a shit for his troops.

"CAS is king, and my Chief publicly endorses Gate’s decision to kill the F-22 because Airpower is really just airborne artillery...
Is that the same F-22 that the current SECDEF put restrictions on where it can fly?????

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Sounds like someone thought he was going to spend his time gunning commies from the skies and feels that his skills are wasted in having to support the wars. Boo hoo. Maybe this guy can fight Mr. UAV.

This is probably a bit of an oversimplified and cynical summarization....? If you're telling me that you can't empathize (even just a little bit) with a lot of what the dude has to say... Well, congratulations - you're officially part of the problem. Again, his delivery/execution is poor - however the sentiments are probably quite common.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
What sentiments? That "airpowER" is being shunted aside in favor of capabilities in low-intensity conflicts and that this is somehow bad?

Pags

N/A
pilot
This is probably a bit of an oversimplified and cynical summarization....? If you're telling me that you can't empathize (even just a little bit) with a lot of what the dude has to say... Well, congratulations - you're officially part of the problem. Again, his delivery/execution is poor - however the sentiments are probably quite common.
I tend to agree with Brett, which I think officially makes me part of the problem around here. This guy seems to be pissed that he didn't get any AA kills and had to move mud and then pissed that his service can't buy him all the cool toys he wants. I don't know if he missed the budget cut memo, but all the service chiefs are in the unenviable position of having more problems than money.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
If you read Punk's War you'll see the exact same sentiment as the "Dear Boss" author has.
Ward Carroll was just a wee-bit smarter, rather than release it on the internet, he published the sentiment and made $$$.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Sad to say, but when money gets tight it makes more sense to just barely train and equip the forces you have--scraping that tactical hard deck but not quite letting them decay into "hollow forces"--rather than shrink your forces and spend the same money on much smaller but very well prepared forces. This all assumes that when the need arises, there will be money and time to quickly get them up to speed again, and that in the meantime that too many good people haven't quit.

Of course, figuring out exactly where that line is, now that's the trick, isn't it?

Pags

N/A
pilot
If you read Punk's War you'll see the exact same sentiment as the "Dear Boss" author has.
Ward Carroll was just a wee-bit smarter, rather than release it on the internet, he published the sentiment and made $$$.
I recently re-read this book and the fact that JOs from 10yrs ago have the same gripes as JOs today struck me. You read other Naval historical fiction like the Caine Mutiny and it seems to be a truism across the ages. Leadership is never perfect, the new guys always suck, there's never enough money, and there's always some sort of admin chcikenshit to deal with as opposed to war fighting.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm convinced that very little of substance changes in big institutions. It's the perspectives of people as they get older that change. Maybe it's because the organization places different expectations on them, or that they're exposed to aspects of the organization they weren't aware of when they were more junior. Perhaps it's just human nature to look back at one's past through the lens of nostalgia and remember only the good parts. When that doesn't jibe with the reality of the present, it's interpreted as everything in the organization going to hell in a hand basket. Might be an interesting research project.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
What sentiments? That "airpowER" is being shunted aside in favor of capabilities in low-intensity conflicts and that this is somehow bad?

//translation// I have no patience for jet guys who complain about ANYTHING. Now that I've kicked that over that wasp's nest, keep reading... ;)

The parts of the letters that resonated most (with me) were the excerpts about fundamental leadership failures and community culture shifts - to the point where he may not sense that he and "his" organization share similar values and priorities.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I'm convinced that very little of substance changes in big institutions. It's the perspectives of people as they get older that change. Maybe it's because the organization places different expectations on them, or that they're exposed to aspects of the organization they weren't aware of when they were more junior. Perhaps it's just human nature to look back at one's past through the lens of nostalgia and remember only the good parts. When that doesn't jibe with the reality of the present, it's interpreted as everything in the organization going to hell in a hand basket. Might be an interesting research project.

Interesting you bring this up - one of the first slides of my mandated character and integrity training yesterday posed the question "isn't it hypocritical of us [retired admirals who profited from designing and convincing CNAF that this was needed] to condemn the same kind of behavior we embraced as JOs?" There really wasn't a good answer - except: tough shit - times change. Well done admirals, money well spent - eh hem, made.

phrogpilot73

I want me to find out who this idiot is, and invite him to a typical Navy/Marine base. Then I'd show him our 20-40 year old aircraft. And our pathetic (in comparison) facilities. Then I would ask him, does it make sense why you guys had the most to cut? Maybe there's a lot of unnecessary fat associated with your service?

Then I read this sentence in that disgusting spew of "I'm so important":
None of the other services can do their jobs without us.
And I realized it would be lost on him. I guess the initial push into Afghanistan was impossible, because it was the 26th MEU and the 15th MEU with support from only organic USN/USMC assets that was able to establish the first US land base in Afghanistan. This guy was probably still discussing the finer points of 1v1 with the Taliban Air Force while we were failing to do our jobs without them. What a choad.