• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Pro-Rec, now what?

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
I am starting to realize that I really don't have any clue what to expect from the next couple of steps in this process. I am hoping that light could be shed by the wise men and women of AW.

Three weeks ago I received an email from my OR saying that I had been professionally recommended. The OR then said that a billet would need to be found. All of this then leads me to my first round of questions.
1. It appears that before I can get my COMDOCS I need to have a billet ready and waiting for me. Is this accurate?
a. If so, are there geographical restrictions as to where a billet can be found? I have heard of people in San Diego drilling in Seattle, WA and so it seems somewhat flexible.
b. How far out do billets 'become available'? For instance, I know on the AD side PenguinGuy was able to start looking at open billets anywhere from 3-12 months out from his date of detachment. Is this similar to how it works on the reserve side? Would my OR be seeing billets open right now or would the OR be looking at billets not opening for 3-6 months? A combination of the two?
c. If not to question 1, what needs to happen before I get my COMDOCS?
d. If a billet is not found/available within a certain time frame, can I lose my pro-rec status?

2.I am already PQ from MEPS and have a secret clearance. Will this speed up the time needed for COMDOCS?

3. Perhaps more of an opinion question than the others, but is it better to attend DCOIC as soon as possible after commissioning or to drill for a few months before attending? I know that regulations state that it must be completed within the first 12 months but that is a long time!

4. Can certain paperwork type stuff be accomplished outside of the NOSC and actual unit drilling? For example, if my husband's command allowed it could I do my PFA with them and simply have the results uploaded to PRIMS or wherever it needs to go?

5. Even though I will be attached to a SEABEE unit and thus working towards my SCW pin, there are PQS requirements that are general Navy type. Can I reach out to SW/AW officers local to me to sign off on these items? Or would that be a command specific question?

6. What is the usual time before actual commissioning and first drill/DCOIC?

7. What can I expect between now and commissioning?

8. Aside from studying up on my community's history, structure, and goals, the Big 4, and getting myself in shape, what can I do to prepare myself mentally and physically for my new role in the USN?

9. Am I getting ahead of myself with some of these questions? Do I need to dial back my enthusiasm?

I know that this is a lot of random questions, but even 3 weeks later with no further communication from the OR I am still incredibly excited! I cannot wait to begin my career with the USN. I am also really looking forward to any answers or advice in general that can be passed on to a future DCO. :)

BackOrdered

Contributor
I think you are getting ahead of yourself. If I were you I would ask the recruiter for a DCO mentor and go from there.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Considering my recruiter hasn't responded to any emails or phone calls for the past 3 weeks...getting the OR to help me find a mentor seems like a rather difficult task. I will try though. Thank you tiz!

I can help with the general Battalion items, not so much anything that deals with the recruiter as its been a while.

It appears that before I can get my COMDOCS I need to have a billet ready and waiting for me. Is this accurate?
a. If so, are there geographical restrictions as to where a billet can be found? I have heard of people in San Diego drilling in Seattle, WA and so it seems somewhat flexible.
b. How far out do billets 'become available'? For instance, I know on the AD side PenguinGuy was able to start looking at open billets anywhere from 3-12 months out from his date of detachment. Is this similar to how it works on the reserve side? Would my OR be seeing billets open right now or would the OR be looking at billets not opening for 3-6 months? A combination of the two?
c. If not to question 1, what needs to happen before I get my COMDOCS?
d. If a billet is not found/available within a certain time frame, can I lose my pro-rec status?

a. They will send you to the closest NOSC that has a Seabee Detachment. Not every NOSC has one. My closest NOSC is Pensacola, but I gotta trudge all the way to Tallahassee.
b. Typically, you will not have a billet when you first join the Reserves. This does not mean you don't get paid. You will be 'IAP', (In Assignment Processing). This is OK as an ENS. Not OK as a CDR. Every year the CEC Detailing office will send out a Duty Preference Worksheet that every CEC Officer will fill out and send back with what billets you want. If you don't have a SCWS, don't count on going anywhere but your home Battalion (i.e. the Battalion that in in your geographic area).
c. No idea, something your recuiter would know.
d. No. You will be IAP for a bit, and thats ok. Your billet can follow around as you change NOSCs, as that billet is tied to you, not necessarily your geographic location.

Note: Keep in mind that the NCF is undergoing a MAJOR reorganization in the Reserves and a lot of things are still being hammered out. Some things above MAY change as a result. Keep in mind that you won't get brushed aside nor loose your status nor loose your drill pay as a result. There is a LOT that is up in the air right now. Let your recruiter do their job and get you setup at a NOSC (which will dictate your Battalion). Make sure you call your new XO and S3 and introduce yourself. Go from there.

Perhaps more of an opinion question than the others, but is it better to attend DCOIC as soon as possible after commissioning or to drill for a few months before attending? I know that regulations state that it must be completed within the first 12 months but that is a long time!

Get it done as soon as you are able. I hear that the classes fill up quickly and be flexible with the dates as you may not get your rockstar choice of dates. If you are setup as a Det OIC, you will be responsible for admin stuff and DCO is a good introduction to it.

Can certain paperwork type stuff be accomplished outside of the NOSC and actual unit drilling? For example, if my husband's command allowed it could I do my PFA with them and simply have the results uploaded to PRIMS or wherever it needs to go?
Typically, yes, but there can be caveats with that depending on the NOSC. My home NOSC is Tallahassee, and I would run my PFA with the Battalion in Jacksonville. The Battalion CFL would give me a signed piece of paper with my scores/results and I would either turn that into my home NOSC, or into my Detachment CFL. They would put in the scores for me. For a lot of admin stuff you do at home, you can do Non-Paid Drills, which still count for points...a good thing.

Even though I will be attached to a SEABEE unit and thus working towards my SCW pin, there are PQS requirements that are general Navy type. Can I reach out to SW/AW officers local to me to sign off on these items? Or would that be a command specific question?
Short answer - No. They are not SCWS qual'd officers (even if they are, the home Battalion may not allow it to protect the integrity of the qualification). You have three PQS' that you need to accomplish 1) Common Core, 2) NMCB Specific, 3) NCF Officer. There are some general Navy questions in them, yes...but its part of the SCWS PQS. Those all need to be signed off by SCWS qual'd personnel...of which you will have plenty at your home Detachment. When you sign your PG13 for your SCWS enrollement, your command should give you all the guidance you need.

Aside from studying up on my community's history, structure, and goals, the Big 4, and getting myself in shape, what can I do to prepare myself mentally and physically for my new role in the USN?
One thing I would suggest is to get ready to spend a LOT of time on the Navy. You will be taking calls at work, during dinner or even vacations and doing work at all hours of the day/night. Every so often, you will enjoy the fun that is a Field Training Exercise....

Am I getting ahead of myself with some of these questions? Do I need to dial back my enthusiasm?
I prefer enthusiasm, as it can be directed/guided. Its when people are inherently lazy...thats an issue as its harder to correct (if at all) and we do have them. Stay engaged. Hopefully you will be setup with a good Chief (and Wardroom) to guide you. I remember what its like to first come onboard, and I was lucky to have an outstanding Chief to guide me.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Thank you Floridaseabee! I was hoping that you would be around and able to answer some of my questions. Thank you so much!!

No issues, and glad to help.

There is a LOT more surrounding the above topics, but don't sweat them right now, as everything will be out of context and too much information right now. As long as you stay engaged, suck up as much knowledge as you can, and LISTEN (i.e. short on talk) .....you will be fine.

Let me know what other questions you have. I just recently transferred out of the NCF to do a staff job, but was in the same Battalion for over 7 years. It was extremely busy from the moment I arrived, to the moment I left.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Thank you again! As it turns out my OR is on leave for the next week or so. Hopefully once back in the office the OR will have more information for me as to when I can hope to get COMDOCS and commission. I will very likely be contacting you with more questions, Floridaseabee!

exNavyOffRec

The OR then said that a billet would need to be found.

There should have been one identified before you submitted, the submit and find a billet later process changed about 2+ years ago, this is nothing you were supposed to do but something your OR and/or processor was supposed to do.

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
There should have been one identified before you submitted, the submit and find a billet later process changed about 2+ years ago, this is nothing you were supposed to do but something your OR and/or processor was supposed to do.

I don't want to hijack PenguinGal's thread, but this raises a question for me. My recruiter recently submitted my application materials for the September IDC board, and in our conversation prior he mentioned that the post-pro-rec process was basically (1) get a physical, (2) get a security clearance, and (3) find a billet. Now, I believe the submission deadline for this board isn't until August, so maybe I don't have anything to worry about, but is this something I should ask the recruiter about?

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
I don't want to hijack PenguinGal's thread, but this raises a question for me. My recruiter recently submitted my application materials for the September IDC board, and in our conversation prior he mentioned that the post-pro-rec process was basically (1) get a physical, (2) get a security clearance, and (3) find a billet.

Hijack away! :)

I have to say that based on my experience, 1 and 2 aren't always post-pro-rec items. I had my MEPS experience last October and submitted by SF86 in January/February with my package. I was also sponsored for a clearance through my civilian employer in March and so YMMV with respect to actually having the investigation open and completed. Still, I know of at least 1 other DCO pro-rec (Hi, Bam Bam!) here on AW that was not taken to MEPS until after he got his pro-rec. Maybe it is a NRD specific SOO?

As to the billeting? Well, NavyOffRec gave some insight above.

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
You did MEPS before you got pro-rec? That seems odd to me, but I don't have any military experience (yet), so what do I know?

I'm inclined to follow the recruiter's lead here, but if/when I get pro-rec I don't want to suffer delays due to things I could have done now while I'm waiting for the board.

exNavyOffRec

It is not uncommon to get a physical done before the application is submitted, but so many of the designators have a very low selection rate that a recruiter may not want to do that.

Having a billet identified prior makes things go smoother, and it isn't that hard, but many recruiter try to take shortcuts, NRC at one time wanted all application submitted to have billets identified, maybe they have backed off a bit.

VR-AM2

I was pro-rec'd in March and comissioned this month. I went to MEPS the week after the board. It was no problem getting an appointment. I was assigned a billet in my final select letter. That letter specified my designator, rank, unit name, UIC and several other numbers I don't know what they are. The service agreement I had to sign also specified the unit I am to affiliate with once my training is complete. The processor in the recruiting office just emailed me the document and asked me to send him a signed copy.

Btw, the processor is the person to talk to. He/she most likely knows more about your package than the recruiter. At this point the recruiter's job is done. You were selected and now it's just paperwork that the processor is taking care of.

Congrats on your selection and good luck.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Thanks, VR. I have a couple of other outstanding questions with the OR that will hopefully be answered with "you should be talking to the processor, here is his number." Luckily, my recruiter should be back from leave this week to give me that information! I don't actually know who my processor is. Doubly complicated since I moved out of the NRD since my package went to board and I am not sure if I am going to be working with the processor from my previous location or my current location. Hopefully my OR will tell me!

Congratulations on your commissioning, Sir!

exNavyOffRec

VR has a good point, the processor in *most* NRD's handles everything once the APSR is completed.

They could do a few things, transfer your information to the new NRD or request the closest NRD to do a courtesy swear in.