• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO in CEC FY13 Board, chances?

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Howdy! I know I am relatively new to this board but I have been reading it for a while picking up a lot of great information. At this point though I just need an unbiased opinion on my chances of being selected at the October board for the CEC.

I am 28 years old, have a BE in mechanical engineering from an ABET accredited school, a BA in mathematics from the same school, and a MS in mechanical engineering from an Ivy League university. Since I have graduated I have passed the FE (am now an EIT), am a LEED AP BD+C and hopefully as of this weekend will also have my ACG Commisisoning Authority certification. Due to moving around a bit (my husband is AD Navy, a SWO), I have finally met the work requirements to take the PE for my state of residence and will be taking it in April 2013. I have 4 years of work experience in the building/construction industry. I have done mechanical design, energy modeling/sustainable design, and commissioning.

As of right now I have submitted my application (APSR) have had previous employers/supervisors submit their recommendations (DD-370), am scheduled for my CEC interviews and MEPS for next week. Is there anything else I can do to prepare for the Oct. board? Is there anything I can do to make my application stronger? I have heard that it is quite competitive and this is something for which I have been working for a very long time. Anyone want to guess on whether or not I have a chance of being selected?

Is anyone else here applying as part of the October board? Any advice?

For items such as application strength, I can't really speak to that as my experience is out of date. Recent applicants and the recruiters will have to chime in on that (I assume you have already asked your recruiter these questions?).​
The Navy has been spitting out ENSs like crazy the last year, with my Battalion having around 15 of them. Try to setup an interview with someone who is already part of the Reserve NCF, as that is where you will be heading to. This isn't to say other CEC Officers aren't able to determine a good applicant, but because new ENSs typically go to a Reserve NMCB...not to Public Works or ROICC job. Also this so you will have a better idea of what will be expected of you and the workload involved. The Reserve NCF takes a ton of time/work, and you must be prepared (and willing) for that. I typically do 2-3 hours a day for the Navy and making calls and sending emails all throughout the day (even at my day job). Workoad increases as we approach mobilization/FTX.​
You are also coming in at a time where the Reserves is starting a major drawdown and they are decommissioning a lot of units (half of the Reserve Battalions and at least one Regiment). Every new ENS is able to determine their own involvement, which can be good/bad. If you approach this as another 'one weekend a month/two weeks a year'...this isn't the job for you. Too much goes on in the Battalion to only do work when the Navy pays you, and this concept has been hit and miss with our new ENSs.​

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Thank you so much, FloridaSeabee for your insight. I truly appreciate your honesty about the drawdown, that is perhaps what is worrying me the most. I know how difficult it will be to earn a commission given the reduction in forces. There simply aren't going to be many positions open for new reservists.

As for my approach to this? I know that the Navy is a harsh mistress who requires a lot of attention. I am truly looking forward to putting as much time as necessary towards getting the job done, whatever that job. Back when I was in college/grad school, I kept dreaming of the day when I would be working in the 'real world' and I could leave work at the office. Once I got out into said real world, I discovered that there is no such thing as leaving work at the office. If I want to get the job done and have it done right, my work needs to come home with me. Whether that means making phone calls, doing paperwork, studying for my next credential, or simply trying to keep up with the latest in industry standards it doesn't matter that what my 'scheduled hours' might be, I will do the work and I will do it to the best of my abilities. Should I be selected I plan on bringing that same attitude with me into the Battalion.

Now I guess I just need to wait and worry...and keep working out!

exNavyOffRec

Here is some data for you, reserve CEC DCO goal for FY13 is 32, 11 spots are taken so they are on track, the biggest thing you have going against you from what I can see is lack of a PE, the last board if they didn't select someone it was for a big reason, so if you have a good GPA you should have a good shot, and if you don't get picked up this time try again when you pass the PE.

PenguinGal,
I'm in a very similar situation. I'm an electrical engineer taking the PE in October. I started my packet last September and was supposed to be commissioned last Feb. Then the Navy stopped all new commissions for FY12. I've been sitting around ever since. I'm told by my recruiter that I've already been selected and that I will recieve my commissioning documents in October but I'll believe it when I'm getting sworn in.

Thanks, but after being enlisted for 10 years I've learned to never believe what the Navy tells you until it actually happens. And even then, doubt what you see.;)

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
My application package is complete. I am still dealing with some MEPS paperwork issues but that doesn't need to be resolved before the package goes to the board. Now I can't wait until 1 October when it can be officially submitted for the board! I am so excited right now. :D

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
My recruiter just told me that my medread has been cleared and I am good to go to attend MEPS. Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I should be there on Thursday. Best part? I have lost enough weight that I won't need to be taped! (I easily cleared tape but was a couple of pounds over before.)

Now, I just need to find out if my OR has submitted my package....

Good Luck PG! I get sworn in next week. It's been a long 14 months of paperworka and waiting. I'm sure I'll see you on the other side real soon!

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Just heard a rumor about a CEC DCO board meeting in December. As I heard it from the accessions officer, I am hoping that this is good intel! Super excited. My recruiter will be submitting my package in a couple of weeks (beginning of November) and then it becomes a waiting game!