• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crossing the finish line... running, walking or crawling... (Reserve Retirement Process)

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
Excellent post. Thanks for the help.

What you stated regarding entirely Civ run organizations is spot on in my experience. I spent 7 years in two different orgs that were all civilian with no military except. Totally toxic environments that the senior leaders viewed as their own personal kingdom to do as they please. I'd rather go back to being an E-3 than work in those places again.

Would be funny to hear that you were working say for NSWC in Maryland ..

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
What you stated regarding entirely Civ run organizations is spot on in my experience. I spent 7 years in two different orgs that were all civilian with no military except. Totally toxic environments that the senior leaders viewed as their own personal kingdom to do as they please.
Did anyone do anything about it while working at these places? IG complaints have a way of substantiating toxicity but it takes a leader to file the initial complaint, whether anonymous or otherwise. In my example at the COCOM, no one thought that the person who was knocked off of their high horse would ever have anything done to them.

SELRES_AMDO

Did anyone do anything about it while working at these places? IG complaints have a way of substantiating toxicity but it takes a leader to file the initial complaint, whether anonymous or otherwise. In my example at the COCOM, no one thought that the person who was knocked off of their high horse would ever have anything done to them.
Some did. I know of two IG complaints that happened when I was there. Not sure what kind of discipline was given out but no one lost their job.

There was a command wide investigation at one place due to the "No Officer left behind" policy. Something like 50% of 14/15 jobs belonged to a retired O-5/6 and people complained that career civil servants weren't getting fair chances at promotion.

In terms of reservist being hassled, no one complained as far as I know. One guy took long term ADSW orders and another took Mob orders. Both found other jobs and never came back.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
To echo bubblehead .. if you're being harassed for drilling as a GS its up to you to enact the change and continue to push back.

It can be stressful but if you're hitting all your DPMAP elements there is nothing your supervisor can do. I actually just reached up through my region to ensure there would be nothing blocking me either.

I'm a recent select who is just now getting into the reserve world, but my region (SE btw) has a billet desginated specifically for furnishing guidance on reservist issues. I spoke to the LT in that position and they absolutely clarified everything I needed to know.

If your immediate chain isn't helping - keep working your way up I assure you it will be remedied as soon as it hits the right level.

Frankly I'm shocked you're even having any sort of issue, my region seemingly rolled out the red carpet for me. I think once your leadership finds out what you're up against things would change. Now if you believe you're getting passed up for promotions due to your reservist status either document, document, document and prepare for an IG interaction or keep your eyes glued to usajobs for a lateral or upward move.

To echo bubblehead .. if you're being harassed for drilling as a GS its up to you to enact the change and continue to push back.

It can be stressful but if you're hitting all your DPMAP elements there is nothing your supervisor can do. I actually just reached up through my region to ensure there would be nothing blocking me either.

I'm a recent select who is just now getting into the reserve world, but my region (SE btw) has a billet desginated specifically for furnishing guidance on reservist issues. I spoke to the LT in that position and they absolutely clarified everything I needed to know.

If your immediate chain isn't helping - keep working your way up I assure you it will be remedied as soon as it hits the right level.

Frankly I'm shocked you're even having any sort of issue, my region seemingly rolled out the red carpet for me. I think once your leadership finds out what you're up against things would change. Now if you believe you're getting passed up for promotions due to your reservist status either document, document, document and prepare for an IG interaction or keep your eyes glued to usajobs for a lateral or upward move.

Ok, with all this talk about IG complaints, I want to play a bit of devil’s advocate here: I think it is tough on an organization who hires a reservist. I know a different group in my organization who complained about a coworker who always seemed to go orders during inspections and they felt the reserves was this guy’s “real job” and he just showed up with us to pay the bills in between orders.

Again, I’m not trying to troll, and it seems like some of the behavior toward reservists has been atrocious, but I just wanted to point out that reservists need to try to keep both their employers (all three if you count the boss at home!). I know it’s kind off “brush twice a day” advice, but I think it’s to keep employers happy about hiring reservists. If I got an IG complaint against me, I probably wouldn’t retaliate against the employee, but I’d be a little fun shy about bringing on any more reservists.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
I would absolutely agree that communication is key and clearly establishing the orgs needs on both sides of the house (day job and reserve) should be conducted ASAP. All management teams within the government have the responsibility to properly mitigate prior to a team members departure for their reserve service. Additionally, the member has the responsibility to keep their chain informed and up to date.

As I understand it, its not simply a "welp gotta go folks" and you're gone for six months. Prior to a mob isn't there a work up? So far the only quotas I have are ODS and IPBC both of which my entire chain is already well aware of plus my entire FY21 DWE sked was already sent out. I also spoke with my shop and ensured they were able to remain available and wouldn't be on leave status during the period I was gone so services continued.

Now if the organization is outright disruptive to the member even after all of this and furthermore imposes time-sensitive commitments while they're in a drill period (per the situation listed above) - that's piss poor management and most likely a direct violation. These sort of managers 100% absolutely exist AND I believe without a doubt thrive on the notion that they dictate policy in "their" world.

I ran into this management issue with a PD grading where I was the lowest paid employee navy-wide performing my job. My former manager even went as far as to state that I would "never" get the PD grade I wanted because they personally wouldn't allow it. Let me tell you, a package sent to OPM which then went to a DoD level counterpart quickly changed that story, albeit it took two years for me to work it through the chain.

Reservists have these rights for a reason and government managers should absolutely be sensitive to that. In this specific case I would highly suggest massively documenting these perceived infractions and speaking first to your supervisor, local HR, and union rep (If you have a bargaining unit, you can check TWMS to see) .. and if that fails move up the chain until you eventually reach a wall. Then reach out to OPM who will absolutely react.

Sorry for the long post but one last thing - I wouldn't reach out to IG or OPM until I documented and exhausted all previous avenues leading to resolution. Save the big guns for last and prepare to lawyer up if need be.

SELRES_AMDO

Ok, with all this talk about IG complaints, I want to play a bit of devil’s advocate here: I think it is tough on an organization who hires a reservist. I know a different group in my organization who complained about a coworker who always seemed to go orders during inspections and they felt the reserves was this guy’s “real job” and he just showed up with us to pay the bills in between orders.

Again, I’m not trying to troll, and it seems like some of the behavior toward reservists has been atrocious, but I just wanted to point out that reservists need to try to keep both their employers (all three if you count the boss at home!). I know it’s kind off “brush twice a day” advice, but I think it’s to keep employers happy about hiring reservists. If I got an IG complaint against me, I probably wouldn’t retaliate against the employee, but I’d be a little fun shy about bringing on any more reservists.
Reservist should try to minimize the impact. But, if the person thinks the reserves is his real job then so be it. It's not a supervisor's job or place to determine that.

Assigning work to a reservist, or bitching about Vet preference , or complaining that people are going on reserve duty when you work for the Navy as a GS is complete and utter bullshit. Your government job isn't your own personal kingdom that you can run as you please. Not saying you work this way, but I know many GS-15s and SES that think of their assignment as their own little fiefdom and anyone who doesn't put the job 1st goes to the trash bin.

If you hired someone that is going on orders constantly then perhaps it is time the boss looks in the mirror and figures out why the person doesn't want to be there.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...complained about a coworker who always seemed to go orders during inspections and they felt the reserves was this guy’s “real job” and he just showed up with us to pay the bills in between orders.
Then don't hire Reservists.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...I know many GS-15s and SES that think of their assignment as their own little fiefdom...
Arrogant turds... And these are the same type of people who would never make it in the real world. Like I said, IG complaints against govvie's actually results in repercussions, assuming the complaint is substantiated.

Then don't hire Reservists.
Ok folks, I’m a reservist. I don’t hire anyone. I think it’s BS to hassle reservists. I’m on your side.

Regarding your “then don’t hire reservists” comment, I always tried to make my boss want, or at least not have a second thought, about hiring somebody in the reserves.

Sorry to have stirred the pot. It wasn’t intentional.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I have a friend who is considering taking long term orders as a F U to his current job (gov ctr), which he perceives as mistreating him.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
Ok folks, I’m a reservist. I don’t hire anyone. I think it’s BS to hassle reservists. I’m on your side.

Regarding your “then don’t hire reservists” comment, I always tried to make my boss want, or at least not have a second thought, about hiring somebody in the reserves.

Sorry to have stirred the pot. It wasn’t intentional.

I think you made a valid point!

The crux of this conversation though was a DoD civilian being harassed over his reservist responsibilities which ..is sort of mind boggling considering hes reserve leadership within the same agency.

Also it is accurate that some high-grade civilians often tend to "rule" with an iron-fist. Its sort of a mystery where it emanates from .. maybe too many war movies and too few years (or none) of active service?

Maybe its like the mustang effect .. for clarification mustangs are officers who were prior enlisted. Now mustangs tend to come in two varieties.. you've got mustang "A" who is an overall effective leadership (squared away - looks after his/her troops) due to their experience as a usually stellar enlisted member. Then you've got the dreaded mustang "B" ... this individual has risen through the ranks and is now out for blood, someone made them stand watch when they didn't want to or cancelled their leave and now ITS THEIR TURN!

Maybe these high grade civilians are following suite?

I have a friend who is considering taking long term orders as a F U to his current job (gov ctr), which he perceives as mistreating him.

Lol hopefully he has a job when he gets back, or isn't in a "right to work" state, otherwise the ctr will prob can him.