• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crosseyed -fly?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Clearly, depending on the severity, it could be an impediment to safe flight.

Have you ever seen a child with an eye patch. They have what is called "Lazy Eye" where on eye wanders as the other is dominant. They patch the good eye to force the brain to recognize and exercise the weak eye. If they didn't eventually you would ignore what that eye sees, although the image is there. Sounds odd but is true.

This would be bad during ACM.
news.pagepublication.cross-eyed_man307.jpg

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I failed my depth perception test at MEPS and it disqualified me for pilot. I actually had it, went to a civilian doctor, got a letter and now I am waiting for OCS. In conclusion, you need it. The only type of flying that requires depth perception really is formation and refueling. I got this from a former Air Force flight surgeon and he said the FAA doesn't really make a big deal about depth perception, so a first class medical shouldn't be a problem.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
My airline hired a pilot with one eye. That is ... 1 (one) eye. How's that for depth perception ?? Well, according to the Feds "demonstrated ability" was the issue and evidently this pilot's monocular depth perception satisfactorily relied on learned cues --- such as the physical appearance of an object or the size and relationship of multiple objects.

Or at least that's what the FAA said ....

Isn't this a great country ??? I flew with .... her :)) ).... a couple of times.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Schnugg said:
Have you ever seen a child with an eye patch. They have what is called "Lazy Eye" where on eye wanders as the other is dominant. They patch the good eye to force the brain to recognize and exercise the weak eye. If they didn't eventually you would ignore what that eye sees, although the image is there. Sounds odd but is true.

"The doctor said both my eyes are lazy"

ralph.gif

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Tom said:
...I got this from a former Air Force flight surgeon and he said the FAA doesn't really make a big deal about depth perception, so a first class medical shouldn't be a problem.

I'm glad things were so easy for the AF flight surgeon. I suspect for the rest of us mortals, it's necessary for other things as well, at least until it's learned, as was discussed.

Cate

Pretty much invincible
bor0101 said:
i figure i should be able to fly helicopters(i thought those would be harder, because you have to worry about where you are all the time, while on a civlian plane you only care about landings).
I don't know if this caught anyone else's eye, but... if you really believe this, promise me you'll never, ever, ever try to fly a plane.

bor0101

Cate said:
I don't know if this caught anyone else's eye, but... if you really believe this, promise me you'll never, ever, ever try to fly a plane.
this was taken out of context.

thanks for the replies, so if you apply for military and fail depth perception, you can go to a civilian dr, and if he writes you a note, you're good? i probably wont be applying to the military anyway, because i'm sort of interested in medicine, and i wouldnt want to depend on whether people catch me cheating, or if my health otherwise fails-for example when i fly as a passenger in an airplane and i have a cold, it results in an ear infection-and im prone to those too. but it is very encouraging that a guy with 1 eye could fly planes for a living.... that means i can certainly fly privately. but now, perhaps i'll even apply some day into reserves.

actually i never had trouble learning to play sports or to drive. i moved to this country when i was 12 and when i tried to play baseball i had no trouble learning to bat. but when i once was playing catch and i wasnt paying attention a baseball hit me in the stomach and i bragged to my parents that my stomach was very muscular, they replied that my eyes were very defective. my eyes were supposedly like in that picture when i was little, but now they're supposedly 1minute outwards. a dr did this test when i was 16 to prove that my mom was right and i was defective(she passed that test in front of me and teased me). i think depth perception is either completely present or completely lacking-it means that you either see with 1 eye or with 2, cant be in between.

and yeah i can see how people lacking depth perception would be a burden in dog fights(though that story about a guy with waivers puts even that into doubt. after all most of your reactions in sports rely on your muscular memory, because you must decide quicker than you can process what you see), but that doesnt mean that they can't land a plane in a civilian airport!

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
bor0101 said:
this was taken out of context.

thanks for the replies, so if you apply for military and fail depth perception, you can go to a civilian dr, and if he writes you a note, you're good? i probably wont be applying to the military anyway, because i'm sort of interested in medicine, and i wouldnt want to depend on whether people catch me cheating, or if my health otherwise fails-for example when i fly as a passenger in an airplane and i have a cold, it results in an ear infection-and im prone to those too. but it is very encouraging that a guy with 1 eye could fly planes for a living.... that means i can certainly fly privately. but now, perhaps i'll even apply some day into reserves.

actually i never had trouble learning to play sports or to drive. i moved to this country when i was 12 and when i tried to play baseball i had no trouble learning to bat. but when i once was playing catch and i wasnt paying attention a baseball hit me in the stomach and i bragged to my parents that my stomach was very muscular, they replied that my eyes were very defective. my eyes were supposedly like in that picture when i was little, but now they're supposedly 1minute outwards. a dr did this test when i was 16 to prove that my mom was right and i was defective(she passed that test in front of me and teased me). i think depth perception is either completely present or completely lacking-it means that you either see with 1 eye or with 2, cant be in between.

and yeah i can see how people lacking depth perception would be a burden in dog fights(though that story about a guy with waivers puts even that into doubt. after all most of your reactions in sports rely on your muscular memory, because you must decide quicker than you can process what you see), but that doesnt mean that they can't land a plane in a civilian airport!
This tool is a troll...

EDIT: Well no shit he's banned...

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None
WTF is that? Isn't there a flight doc section on this forum?

It's the clinical term meaning you do not see out of both eyes at the same time, i.e. little or no depth perception. Also know as 'lazy eye'.

"Do you think you would be DQ for NFO if you demonstrated strabismus?"

No you won't. I have strabismus and as you can see I have wings. When you go get your medical they will try to make you take the depth perception exam, feel free to try, just make sure you tell them you are going for NFO beacuse it is not required on you flight physical.