• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crosseyed -fly?

bor0101

Hi, if a person is crosseyed, i.e. "lacking depth perception", can he still become a military pilot? what about civilian pilot(i.e. do they even do this test if you just want to fly a private plane?)

bor0101

scotty008 said:
Do they even let crosseyed people drive?
of course. you cant really tell that im crosseyed just by looking at me. and i can play sports or drive a car as well as anybody, because it's 2-dimensional. But supposedly if i were flying i wouldnt be able to tell at what height i was(i.e. in sports i supposedly rely on some orientations or some memory). depth perception tests are done as follows:
either you put on some "3d glasses" and look at pictures and you're supposed to see that 1 of the pictures is standing out. or you put on some slides, dr flashes lights at you and you're supposed to notice them with both eyes. or he lets you look at a machine and notices that your eyes are either completely aligned, or a little crosseyed.

but i hope that such tests are at least not required for flying civilian aircraft?? i never flew a plane, but i ski and i sometimes jump as high as 10yards off the ground and i dont always land on my ass...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bor0101 said:
of course. you cant really tell that im crosseyed just by looking at me. and i can play sports or drive a car as well as anybody, because it's 2-dimensional.

Driving is very much depth perception. This is why women are statistically worse parkers. There was a study done where they tested the parking ability of women and men... women always did worse. Why? They discovered their depth perception, on average, is not as good. I can't make this stuff up.

either you put on some "3d glasses" and look at pictures and you're supposed to see that 1 of the pictures is standing out. or you put on some slides, dr flashes lights at you and you're supposed to notice them with both eyes. or he lets you look at a machine and notices that your eyes are either completely aligned, or a little crosseyed.

We all know the tests, we all had to do them. As far as for civilian flying, I can't remember what my 3rd class medical exam was like, I did it over 2 years ago... hopefully one of the IFS bubbas can chime in.

but i hope that such tests are at least not required for flying civilian aircraft?? i never flew a plane, but i ski and i sometimes jump as high as 10yards off the ground and i dont always land on my ass...[/QUOTE]

bor0101

Fly Navy said:
Driving is very much depth perception. This is why women are statistically worse parkers. There was a study done where they tested the parking ability of women and men... women always did worse. Why? They discovered their depth perception, on average, is not as good. I can't make this stuff up.

We all know the tests, we all had to do them. As far as for civilian flying, I can't remember what my 3rd class medical exam was like, I did it over 2 years ago... hopefully one of the IFS bubbas can chime in.

but i hope that such tests are at least not required for flying civilian aircraft?? i never flew a plane, but i ski and i sometimes jump as high as 10yards off the ground and i dont always land on my ass...
[/QUOTE]

no, driving is not about depth perception. you use various objects to orient yourself when you park, thats why you have the side mirror. and of course it's based on practice, just like hitting a baseball(you dont need depth perception for that either).

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bor0101 said:
no, driving is not about depth perception. you use various objects to orient yourself when you park, thats why you have the side mirror. and of course it's based on practice, just like hitting a baseball(you dont need depth perception for that either).

Drive with one eye closed and get back to me.

bor0101

Fly Navy said:
Drive with one eye closed and get back to me.
driving with 1 eye closed for me is pretty much the same as with 2 eyes, except i have a narrower field of view, i.e. with 2 eyes we all have peripheral vision which is good if you're looking for cops hiding in the dykes. but when looking straight ahead, i can calculate the distance to the car in front of me the same way whether with 1 eye or with 2.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Believe what you want, but as someone who routinely flew w/ little to no depth perception, ie on NVGs, it is very different. It requires you to relearn what the sight picture is supposed to be. So what? Well, it proves that you can learn, like you said, but it also shows that depth perception is required. Another example of this is at night. It's hard to tell how fast you're going at night because you don't have your center, focused vision working for you. Instead you mostly use your periphrial vision where you're rods are. I guess that's a little different, but you get the idea.

If you don't notice a difference driving w/ one eye closed or not (discounting periphrial vision for a sec), the that probably indicates that it has affected you, but you've learned to overcome it. I know it's a hell of a lot easier to parallel park when I look over my shoulder then use the 2-d rearview mirror.

bor0101

gatordev said:
Believe what you want, but as someone who routinely flew w/ little to no depth perception, ie on NVGs, it is very different. It requires you to relearn what the sight picture is supposed to be. So what? Well, it proves that you can learn, like you said, but it also shows that depth perception is required. Another example of this is at night. It's hard to tell how fast you're going at night because you don't have your center, focused vision working for you. Instead you mostly use your periphrial vision where you're rods are. I guess that's a little different, but you get the idea.

If you don't notice a difference driving w/ one eye closed or not (discounting periphrial vision for a sec), the that probably indicates that it has affected you, but you've learned to overcome it. I know it's a hell of a lot easier to parallel park when I look over my shoulder then use the 2-d rearview mirror.

thanks. so i guess i wouldnt be able to go into military aviation, but if i want to get a civilian pilot license to fly for fun, i should have no problem, right? That is because you claim that at night nobody has the depth perception, and since even helicopter pilots use NVG, i figure i should be able to fly helicopters(i thought those would be harder, because you have to worry about where you are all the time, while on a civlian plane you only care about landings).

my parents have called me defective. they knew i was cross-eyed since young age, and they always call me that. and if i told them "i hit a goal post while playing soccer", they would say it's because i'm cross-eyed. but in fact it was a very difficult shot, and eyesight had nothing to do with it. the same, if my mom rides in passenger seat in my car she always says that i'll hit another car because im cross-eyed, but it has never happened. people are so ignorant!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
bor0101 said:
thanks. so i guess i wouldnt be able to go into military aviation, but if i want to get a civilian pilot license to fly for fun, i should have no problem, right? That is because you claim that at night nobody has the depth perception, and since even helicopter pilots use NVG, i figure i should be able to fly helicopters(i thought those would be harder, because you have to worry about where you are all the time, while on a civlian plane you only care about landings).

Uh, no, that's not what I said. At night, your vision as a hole is greatly reduced. How much depth perception you lose, I don't really know. I'm sure feddoc will swing by here soon. I was just trying to equate the differences of having it and not having it. As for NVGs, civilians generally don't use them. Yes, I know there are exceptions, but the FAA is still trying to figure out how to regulate flying w/ them (are you flying instruments or VFR?). As for flying helos, you're right, they require a lot of depth perception/periphrial vision. I guess I don't really understand where you're pulling your reasoning from.

As for flying on the civilian side...I don't know. I can't remember what they test for on the physical. A romp through www.faa.gov and looking through the FARs would probably tell you.

bor0101

gatordev said:
Uh, no, that's not what I said. At night, your vision as a hole is greatly reduced. How much depth perception you lose, I don't really know. I'm sure feddoc will swing by here soon. I was just trying to equate the differences of having it and not having it. As for NVGs, civilians generally don't use them. Yes, I know there are exceptions, but the FAA is still trying to figure out how to regulate flying w/ them (are you flying instruments or VFR?). As for flying helos, you're right, they require a lot of depth perception/periphrial vision. I guess I don't really understand where you're pulling your reasoning from.

As for flying on the civilian side...I don't know. I can't remember what they test for on the physical. A romp through www.faa.gov and looking through the FARs would probably tell you.

ok thanks!

Cornellianintel

I think you guys have covered the subject pretty well so far, but as apparently the only other one on this thread with strabismus (clinical name for being cross-eyed) I can say that it should and will disqualify you from flying. On the other hand, it doesn't make you "defective" in some general sense of the word. Between 2-4% of all children in this country have the condition, and for the vast majority of us, our lack of binocular vision (using both eyes simultaneously to form a 3-D composite picture in our brains) is pretty much unnoticeable. I had binocular vision for about a year after my third and final surgery for strabismus, and honestly did not notice ANY difference in day to day life. The fact is, our brains are remarkable pieces of work on both a conscious and sub-conscious level. The same mind that actually shuts off your non-dominant eye for forward vision (so that you don't see double) creates dozens of ways to compensade for your lack of depth perception. For the vast majority of activities, in fact, your mind is trained to use size, orientation, etc. to gauge distance and such. I had no trouble learning to parallel park, and have had only one accident in my seven years of driving (two days after I got my license). The fact is, though, in a field as disorienting as flying, largely devoid of markers that your brain can use, your lack of depth perception will probably be painfully apparent.

Best,
Chris

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
In my first squadron (VP), we had a DH who had no depth perception. They discovered this when he was in flight school trying to CQ T-2s. The kicked him out of jets, gave him a multi-pilot aircraft only waiver and sent him to P-3s.

After his first tour, they relaxed the waiver enough where he did two single pilot tours in the training command. The first flying T-34s and the second hauling NFO students around in the T-2. He had no problems with either and said he even got to do ACM in the T-2. By the time he was a VP DH, all restrictions had been removed from his waiver.

Last I heard, he was flying for Delta. He had a FAA medical waiver based on "demonstrated ability" from his Navy days.

He said that he never really realized he had no depth perception until trying to CQ. The LSO were the ones who first suspected it. He said all through life, he had a difficult time at first with things like sports, driving, flying, etc. Than all of a sudden, everything would just come together and he would do great. After being diagnosed as having no depth perception, he realized the slow beginnings were his brain learning all the other cues necessary to figure out what was happening. Once his brain adapted, he had no problems. He even eventually CQed in a TA-4 just for the hell of it when he was a T-2 instructor (he knew the right poeple in the training command to make this happen - he spent half his career there - VP, T34s, CVN, T2s, VP DH, TW staff, T34 CO.) That was when they pulled the last of the restrictions on his waiver.