• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
It was a referance to the nazi meme implying contact tracers were nazis. I do not think contact tracing is a nazi tactic. One of us gets a below average in communications.

My bad. I thought you were insinuating that contract tracing was inherently nefarious. Maybe you could have clarified that in your post. I guess you were just doing that "Many people are saying" thing.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I'd be interested in a substantive answer to the question. How does one square the argument that covid-19 isn't a significant threat to most of the population with the measures taken to eradicate it among the TR crew? If it's not that big of a deal, why not just let the ship get underway and let the virus do its thing?
I think a confined environment like a ship is a little different than normal society so taking more action is appropriate. Plus early on we didn’t know as much about the virus.
What Treetop said. Plus there are a lot fewer medical facilities available on a ship and you can’t just get more help readily.

Also, on land society can continue to function when people are sick. There is always someone else available to do the job. Not so on a ship with limited numbers.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Intercept links to SAM.gov procurement activity. I agree the spin is a bit much, but the procurement actions are real (albeit small-dollar).

I'm shocked, just shocked they would do something like that. Useful idiots is a term that comes to mind when I think of that site.

W/r/t Joe Rogan's idea, the larger point is that:

3) The federal government currently doesn't show much urgency on preventing obesity, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes; more could be done to talk about the long-term benefits of diet, exercise, sleep, and sunlight - three of which are free.

4) People should make their own decisions about diet and exercise (personal accountability), but some people simply don't know how to be healthy/ don't understand the consequences, and could use some advice.

Huh, maybe try and start early with that? Maybe with school kids? But I thought that was some sort of Democratic plot to communize our kids or something like that.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Forced lunch changes that don’t take into account differences in dietary needs didn’t go over very well, I guess.

Education and message emphasis is different than forced feeding. I would also target it at the 25-70 age range. By 25, people start to be more adult about things. Over 70, who cares, live your life. If you’re already fit, or you know the right way to eat but don’t care, do whatever you want - bc it’s not mandatory.

But all the govt lecturing on hand washing and mask wearing needs to go along with some pretty blunt talk about how obesity, type 2 diabetes, and vitamin D deficiency seem to be part of the equation.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
What Treetop said. Plus there are a lot fewer medical facilities available on a ship and you can’t just get more help readily.

Also, on land society can continue to function when people are sick. There is always someone else available to do the job. Not so on a ship with limited numbers.
It's not just the TR and deploying units, though. The restrictions implemented in March remain in effect today because the DoD is still HPCON C-. Some highlights:

-There is still a stop movement of all PCS in effect - not just to/from the NY/NJ/CT area.

-Sailors who live on base are not allowed to leave base. Sailors who live off base have been ordered to go nowhere except work, home, and shopping for essentials.

-Many Sailors who live aboard ships are not allowed to leave the ship.

-Everything outside the NEX and Commissary is closed because they aren't mission essential.

-Leave outside the local area requires FO approval (again, not just NY/NJ/CT).

This is aside from at work distancing measures like mandatory masks, reduced manning, mandatory 14 day quarantine for coming in contact with a PUI or prior to underway, etc.

So the question of why we're still doing all of these measures until at least July 1 with a low risk population and no phase out plan communicated is a fair question.

On a lighter note...

Last edited:

magnetfreezer

As a non-controversial OBTW, we are currently testing metallic copper spray paint to verify the copper makes it anti-viral. Cool way to treat surfaces if true.

Buy your cans now.
Watch out though, people will take it beyond surfaces
5af.jpg

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
It's not just the TR and deploying units,...words....Terminal Lance....
Typical DoD over reaction. I can understanding locking down those that are about to deploy for a few weeks prior but guys on shore? Nope.

The rest of the world adapts as facts become know and circumstances change. DoD? Not so much.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Typical DoD over reaction. I can understanding locking down those that are about to deploy for a few weeks prior but guys on shore? Nope.

The rest of the world adapts as facts become know and circumstances change. DoD? Not so much.
And like the rest of America, they aren’t ”really” following the rules.. Lots of Navy folks (Active duty) have been in my local gym since it reopened...