• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Anyone currently smart in the mortgage realm think now is a good time to lock in a decent (but not as good as two weeks ago) rate? Or would you wait and ride it out for a couple of months? I'm leaning towards waiting...

Sonog

pilot
Anyone currently smart in the mortgage realm think now is a good time to lock in a decent (but not as good as two weeks ago) rate? Or would you wait and ride it out for a couple of months? I'm leaning towards waiting...

I had this conversation with a friend who is a mortgage loan officer two days ago and he said short answer no. The mortgage market isn't as immediately affected by Fed interest rate as most people would think. He made it sound like right now is nothing special in the world of mortgage interest rates.

exNavyOffRec

I was just talking to my neighbor about this yesterday when I ran into them at the grocery store, they started their refinance 6 weeks ago and finalize it this week. I have been looking at refinancing and the bank I have will refinance at a good rate compared to someone coming to them for a initial mortgage. However I already have a very good rate and by using the mortgage calculators I would only save around 5K in interest for the life of the loan, I will be going over the numbers this week with the bank to see if I should refinance now, later, or not at all.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I had this conversation with a friend who is a mortgage loan officer two days ago and he said short answer no. The mortgage market isn't as immediately affected by Fed interest rate as most people would think. He made it sound like right now is nothing special in the world of mortgage interest rates.

I mean, two weeks ago I was quoted a 2.75% rate of a 30 year VA Loan with no points buy down (My house should be ready to close in early June). Friday they seemed to jump like crazy- the no points value was at 3.625, and the points buy down to 2.75 was around $6700.

Sonog

pilot
I mean, two weeks ago I was quoted a 2.75% rate of a 30 year VA Loan with no points buy down (My house should be ready to close in early June). Friday they seemed to jump like crazy- the no points value was at 3.625, and the points buy down to 2.75 was around $6700.

I don't think he was denying that rates are low right now, but it sounded like he didn't think they would continue to drastically drop.

I had an opportunity to refi 8 months ago 4.6 to 3% on a 30 year so I jumped on it and haven't really been looking at the market too closely since

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Rates suck right as compared to a few weeks ago.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Also in the camp of rate eyers. I close in late May, so my rate lock-in window starts shortly. Was really hoping for sub-3%, but trust my broker to play the game and decide whether to wait a few weeks. I've heard from two other home buyers that their brokers are saying to wait a few weeks for both (a) economy to get worse, and (b) lending company backlogs to clear out. Read a news article that advertised rates artificially increased due to high demand and paperwork backlog.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I got pretty lucky refi'ing a (nearly) brand new 30-year VA from 3.375 (already a good rate) down to 2.75 a few weeks ago. All closing costs credited. Dumb luck.
I almost got the same deal on a new loan (locked in at 2.75 with no fees or points), but the sellers decided that they didn't want to move so they backed out. I'd be closing this week if that happened.