• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

taxi1

pilot
As an aside, I’ve always spent the weekends out hiking, mtbiking, or gravel biking in the woods. They’ve been crowded since the pandemic hit, but every time you come up on someone they give you a look like they’ve just been burying a body. No one is glad to see anyone else. Sad stuff.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
As an aside, I’ve always spent the weekends out hiking, mtbiking, or gravel biking in the woods. They’ve been crowded since the pandemic hit, but every time you come up on someone they give you a look like they’ve just been burying a body. No one is glad to see anyone else. Sad stuff.
That might be a regional thing (hopefully). These days I find a lot of people give and return friendly greetings, or at the very least they smile back.

I just wish all of them would follow simple "slow- keep right" etiquette.

I hope that it's a silver lining in all this, how many people are rediscovering the health benefits of getting off your ass and getting even a little bit of physical activity. That is in places where walking outside hasn't been banned for the common good.

Treetop Flyer

pilot

146 out of 397 tested positive with no symptoms at one homeless shelter. It will be interesting to see how many eventually develop symptoms, and if this is common among the rest of the population.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I am not a dyed-in-the-wool Republican, but I have a lot of South Park-ish libertarian tendencies.

BLUF*: The flip side of that "need for increased social safety nets" coin is we need to take a serious look at government red tape vs. liberties.

There are currently a sh*t tons of regulations preventing someone from opening up a barber shop in their garage to help earn extra money if they are out of work. First, the barber shops are all closed by governors' orders. Second, there is probably some sort of license and inspection process to get approval, which isn't happening these days. Why can't that out-of-work barber shave a few heads to make an extra $50 or so a day to make ends meet, without worrying he/she might lose their barber license if discovered?

Okay, yes it could lead to accidental unsanitary conditions for customers, it's not great for social distancing right now, and it's maybe not enough money to replace a full time job and solve the root problem of un-/under-employment, but let the man or woman work and let their customers decide the risk. People are resourceful. They will find a way to survive. A lady in my neighborhood started making masks with colorful fabric patterns and selling them at $15 a pop, incl. delivery within 5 miles; she said she is selling about 10x masks per day and it takes her about 5-6 minutes per mask to manufacture and raw materials are about $3 per mask.

When I was a kid in the early 80's, you could take a case of candy bars (for boy scouts or little league baseball) to the 4H Fair or sell them door-to-door without getting thrown out or accosted by some local official. These days, we have cities and counties shutting down front yard lemonade stands for lack of a permit. I sort of get the whole craze around "SaFeTy!?>!?" e.g. using government's apparatus to protect diners against rats/mold in restaurants, but in many other areas I actually don't get it, and see this as the civic version of wearing a reflector belt just to run on a 800m track.

*because apparently we need a BLUF on AW.com now:rolleyes:
dude, we don't need to turn a pandemic into a discussion about whether or not you need government regulation. Take it over to the thunderdome where I've already articulated my viewpoint that it needs to be balanced. Because of government regulations I know that the meat I'm eating is beef, that my hot dog only has so many bugs in it and no cat, that people aren't filling my kids stuffed animals with crap from landfills, and that my barber is following health guidelines so I don't get some sort of disease while I'm getting my hair did. As a consumer I feel pretty well protected by all these onerous regulations that apparently are stifling innovation and I'm not quite ready to give up on those to save a buck.

I think the big problem is that no one at the state and local level have the right resources to go through every bit of life and figure out what can and can't be done. How many people should be allowed in the barber shop? Does the barber need an n95? Do I?

What if the people's "resourcefulness" they lead to an outbreak that kills some people because they didn't understand the risk? Can their NOK sue the asymptomatic barber that spread COVID because he was running a barber shop in his garage? Or does the govt shrug and say "tough?"

Now think about this and answer it like it's the real world and not some sort of libertarian dream world where people all act like Ayn Rand and have no feelings or remorse.

Now, what if the people come to a conclusion that unbridled capitalism isn't the way to go and that it failed them and the govt should do more to help them? Or that maybe they need a stronger central govt to keep pirate barbers in line and from causing outbreaks that put communities at risk because of the selfish desires of a few?

exNavyOffRec

Ford came out the other day describing some company wristbands for people to wear at work. (Ford the car company.) They buzz like a fitbit if two of them get too close to each other. There's some technical details to work out and of course how to implement the whole program in a production line environment. I thought the idea neatly sidesteps privacy issues. You throw it in the bin on your way out the door and you pick up a clean one when you clock in the next morning. I think the system could easily track and trace who got close to whom in the workplace, which would still provide valuable medical and epidemiological data without being a big brother 24/7.

I find this interesting, instead of buzzing maybe an electric shock if you violate on the third time? :D

taxi1

pilot
dude, we don't need to turn a pandemic into a discussion about whether or not you need government regulation. Take it over to the thunderdome where I've already articulated my viewpoint that it needs to be balanced. Because of government regulations I know that the meat I'm eating is beef, that my hot dog only has so many bugs in it and no cat, that people aren't filling my kids stuffed animals with crap from landfills, and that my barber is following health guidelines so I don't get some sort of disease while I'm getting my hair did. As a consumer I feel pretty well protected by all these onerous regulations that apparently are stifling innovation and I'm not quite ready to give up on those to save a buck.

I think the big problem is that no one at the state and local level have the right resources to go through every bit of life and figure out what can and can't be done. How many people should be allowed in the barber shop? Does the barber need an n95? Do I?

What if the people's "resourcefulness" they lead to an outbreak that kills some people because they didn't understand the risk? Can their NOK sue the asymptomatic barber that spread COVID because he was running a barber shop in his garage? Or does the govt shrug and say "tough?"

Now think about this and answer it like it's the real world and not some sort of libertarian dream world where people all act like Ayn Rand and have no feelings or remorse.

Now, what if the people come to a conclusion that unbridled capitalism isn't the way to go and that it failed them and the govt should do more to help them? Or that maybe they need a stronger central govt to keep pirate barbers in line and from causing outbreaks that put communities at risk because of the selfish desires of a few?
Fucking barbers

SlickAg

pilot
Sorry, one more. I read about it at first on The Daily Wire but I knew that posting that link would lead to certain folks on here dismissing it offhand because it’s from alt-right mouthpiece Ben Shapiro.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Solid point in a joke. If only there'd been some sort of regulations regarding wet markets and the well know risk of animal to human disease transmission that comes from them. But such regulations would really only hamper the little guy making ends meat by selling bat and pangolin meat to his neighbors. No problem could come from that.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Solid point in a joke. If only there'd been some sort of regulations regarding wet markets and the well know risk of animal to human disease transmission that comes from them. But such regulations would really only hamper the little guy making ends meat by selling bat and pangolin meat to his neighbors. No problem could come from that.
I heard squirrel is high in cholesterol too.

:D

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Standing by for the flames on posting this, but I think what he’s saying here illustrates nicely how a lot of us feel. And yes @Flash , he does use the term “media”, but nothing that he says here is wrong. You may not agree with his opinion, but you should check out the video embedded in the link. And what he says about Twitter users could just as easily be said about lots of the commenters here.

For context, this is outside a grocery store in Rockville, MD: median household income in 2015 was $100,239.

View attachment 25250View attachment 25251View attachment 25252

Hmmm, any particular reason they are only filming people from the waist down?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Hmmm, any particular reason they are only filming people from the waist down?
Cameraman was judging their footwear. At one point, you can see someone wearing pink Birkenstocks with non-matching ankle socks. The horror!