• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Hair Warrior

Contributor

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
They make novelty flavored jelly beans including vomit and baby wipes, to name just a couple examples. They taste as bad as you think they would.

Now the fun part- if you work with someone who keeps a little bowl of regular jelly beans on their desk, mix a few of them in when that person is watching. Just a few, doesn't have to be a lot.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Do they make bat-flavored jelly beans?
According to Google... not yet.

Until someone invents those, you'll have to settle for ramen.

jZuJp1z.png

0 trans fat- fantastic!

antonkr

We should have. This would have been over by now if we had.

Time will tell, but by the end of summer, I predict one of the following:

1.) Over 240,000 dead, in which case I would fully admit that I was wrong.

or...

2.) A death toll less than 60,000, in which case we look like complete fucking morons for shutting down the entire country over a disease with a lower annual death toll than influenza (80,000+ last year).

I’m betting on the second one.
Influenza affects a much older population, and over a longer period of time, not over what at the peak has been a couple of weeks. The death toll being this low is precisely because we shut down everything. Things are starting to go back to normal, but the hospitals have been very overwhelmed around where I work. We've had nurses, and medics die, that outright never would have died from a flu. Guaranteed more medics and nurses will die from this then firefighters have died on 9/11. Shutting shit down was the right call, I cannot imagine how much worse our workload would be if we didn't.

SlickAg

pilot
I don't know why you have to act like a screaming duche to people who think critically about information presented, especially when you just went back and showed how your infallible professionals even disagree with each other and themselves from a few weeks ago.

The doctor's claims doesn't match the data. Do you have an actual scientific explanation for this? If not then stfu.

Personally, I've had two family members and an in law die from doctor misdiagnosis. They all knew something wasn't right with their treatment plans, but 'the doctor knows best.' It's an inexact science. Good luck with that mentality.
You spelled 'douche' wrong there bud.

I watched my father die in front of me, coding out, in a hospital, because doctors missed something they probably shouldn't have. I know a thing or two about the infallibility of the practice of medicine. Who has the moral high ground now?

If you're so sure of your analysis being better than that guy's, have you reached out to him and told him you've run his numbers and they don't match up?

mokdaa@uw.edu

There's his e-mail address. Fire away. Please let us know what he says.

taxi1

pilot

Professor Knut Wittkowski, former head of the Rockefeller University’s Department of Biostatistics, Epidemiology, and Research Design

Really wish we had listened to this guy’s advice over Dr. Fauci. The virus would have peaked weeks ago and the epidemic would have already been over by now. Our economy would be in much better shape as well.

Flattening the curve has also widened the curve.
He’s being disingenuous when he says he doesn’t know why we flattened the curve. It was because when we overcome our healthcare system with an unflattened curve people that would have been hospitalized and recovered would instead die due to lack of care, exploding the fatality rate.

When that happened, you think people would still be going out to restaurants? There’d be a real freak going on.

His idea of getting the resistant infected first, then working your up, makes real sense. Problem is with when kids get home from school each day.

I had the idea that we send all children off to summer camp for six weeks, to let them get their herd immunity.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
He’s being disingenuous when he says he doesn’t know why we flattened the curve. It was because when we overcome our healthcare system with an unflattened curve people that would have been hospitalized and recovered would instead die due to lack of care, exploding the fatality rate.

When that happened, you think people would still be going out to restaurants? There’d be a real freak going on.

His idea of getting the resistant infected first, then working your up, makes real sense. Problem is with when kids get home from school each day.

I had the idea that we send all children off to summer camp for six weeks, to let them get their herd immunity.

What the actual fuck are you talking about?

How would you know who is "resistant"? This thing has killed kids and otherwise healthy adults with no common factor that is yet understood. You're rolling the dice with people's lives if you deliberately expose people to illness, particularly with the knowledge that they have no immunity. This isn't the 19th century, and you will not have my children for your hunger games.

Aggressive testing and tracing to allow us to get at least portions of the economy back online. Continue developing treatments and vaccines. Getting a senior politician to STFU about unproven malaria medications would be nice; it's counterproductive.

Oh, and Happy Easter to you who recognize it. Happy Sunday to the rest.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How is that even still a Jelly Belly flavor? none of my family or friends like it that I know of, I don't like it, is there anyone that actually does, or did the popcorn mafia pay off someone at Jelly Belly?
Raises hand

Or does that mean I'm part of the Popcorn Mafia? Because if so, I probably should be getting a check, and I'll need to look into that.

taxi1

pilot

You're rolling the dice with people's lives if you deliberately expose people to illness, particularly with the knowledge that they have no immunity.

Aggressive testing and tracing to allow us to get at least portions of the economy back online.
First, there isn’t going to be a covid summer camp for kids.

Second, when we open up the economy, it is going to continue its crawl through the population, hopefully slowly, but likely inexorably. Until we get herd immunity or a vaccine.

The question is, how much control over that process do we want to exert? I’m with you 100% on testing and tracing, PPE, etc.

Are you suggesting closed schools until a vaccine?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
First, there isn’t going to be a covid summer camp for kids.

Second, when we open up the economy, it is going to continue its crawl through the population, hopefully slowly, but likely inexorably. Until we get herd immunity or a vaccine.

The question is, how much control over that process do we want to exert?

I don't disagree. However, I think we can and should exert plenty of control by keeping reasonable measures in place (e.g. distance between restaurant tables & bar stools, and in the checkout line, continue encouraging masks, voluntary quarantine, and hand washing). Again- aggressively testing and contact tracing known cases and quarantining hot spots if/when they crop up will go a long way toward minimizing future peaks until some combination of vaccination, treatment, and immunity from previous infection can be achieved.

It's not perfect, but it's better than either a.) Releasing all restraint, or 2.) Remaining locked down for months.

Treetop Flyer

pilot

How would you know who is "resistant"? This thing has killed kids and otherwise healthy adults with no common factor that is yet understood. You're rolling the dice with people's lives if you deliberately expose people to illness, particularly with the knowledge that they have no immunity. This isn't the 19th century, and you will not have my children for your hunger games.

Aggressive testing and tracing to allow us to get at least portions of the economy back online. Continue developing treatments and vaccines. Getting a senior politician to STFU about unproven malaria medications would be nice; it's counterproductive.

Oh, and Happy Easter to you who recognize it. Happy Sunday to the rest.
What taxi said. We cannot continue social distancing forever. We cannot stop the spread even with social distancing. Some young/healthy people will die and that’s tragic. They will also be outliers. How many lives have been saved due to the reduction in traffic fatalities due to shelter in place orders? Does that justify extending the orders?

The virus is here. It’s not going away until we get a vaccine or herd immunity. We cannot continue the current social distancing long enough to get a vaccine or herd immunity. With those facts in mind, we need to move forward minimizing loss of life and reopening the economy.