• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Mirage

pilot
Are you sure about this?

According to this link, the President can do whatever he wants with classified info (except anything related to nuclear weapons):

If that's wrong then serious question - what is legally barring POTUS from going on TV and giving a press conference covering TS/SCI information right now, and with whom does the authority to declassify and disseminate information lie?

The news would never twist facts to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Never. And the fact that we now have stories of "mishandling classified information" by multiple senior political leaders on both sides of the house going back to Hillary as Secretary of State means they're all crooked and not that it's a matter of SOP for people in their positions.
Trump and Pence are regular civilians, like Biden was when he left office and stored those docs. So yeah, quite sure that was illegal. Which is why DOJ now has those docs.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Look, I agree at the base, but the double-standard crap gets pretty tiring especially now that people…including Seaman Timmy…have nearly instant access to information and have been raised in an environment where equal is supposed to be “equal.”
This isn't even on Seaman Timmy's radar. Not even close.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I'm nowhere near the investigation, but I'd imagine it has more to do with the clerks and aids who did the boxing and inventory than with either president.

I've seen a number of mishandling of classified info cases over 15 years, starting at the FRS. An FRS peer left an NTRP in his car for a week (we used to be able to transport them between buildings at HS-10), and he continued on to his fleet tour. Maybe an LOI, but no career effect. An aircrewman minding the library gave an ASW TPG instead of the SAR TACAID to a foreign national - oops. No mast, IIRC.

In the fleet, I saw LTs leave safes or vaults open and get LOIs, not separation or jail time. We also had an AW lose a laminated S/NF placemat out the cabin door in theater. I'm sure the CO wanted to crush him, but I don't think it went past a DRB there either (it was the CO's idea to laminate them...)

In the end, it's a spectrum of impact and intent when investigating these goofs, and I'm not worried that a small percent of sailors (or officers) are too politically biased or anti-authority to understand that neither POTUS nor ex-POTUS are likely culpable for the mishandling.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
This isn't even on Seaman Timmy's radar. Not even close.
Again, I mostly agree that Seaman Timmy doesn’t dwell on the issue or even considers it when reup time comes. But if you even slightly imagine that enlisted guys don’t feel the nature of the double standard then you need to spend more time in the work spaces.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Again, I mostly agree that Seaman Timmy doesn’t dwell on the issue or even considers it when reup time comes. But if you even slightly imagine that enlisted guys don’t feel the nature of the double standard then you need to spend more time in the work spaces.
I’d ask you to consider, between the two of us, who has actually been spending time talking to Sailors. This will give you a sense of which one of us has a better handle on what our Sailors value, worry about, and consider when reenlisting.

When was the last time YOU were in the the workspaces… or held a Captain’s call… or held a town hall event with our Sailors’ spouses? Come on dude. ?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I’d ask you to consider, between the two of us, who has actually been spending time talking to Sailors. This will give you a sense of which one of us has a better handle on what our Sailors value, worry about, and consider when reenlisting.

When was the last time YOU were in the the workspaces… or held a Captain’s call… or held a town hall event with our Sailors’ spouses? Come on dude. ?
You are being rather selective about what you are taking from my comments (especially since I agreed with you). I do not doubt your excellent captainness. But, in my defense, and while it has been a few years, I have had significant experience working with the “common folk” - so yeah, beyond the captain’s call and the fact that I was working with soldiers, I have done all of that…dude.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, it sure sucks when someone suggests that you’re out of touch with the deckplates when they don’t even know you IRL. ?
Sorry you took insult, it wasn’t intended and I certainly didn’t mean to imply “you” were out of touch.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

All do respect, cuz I truly believe you do your best to reach them, but when did junior sailors start openly bitch without reserve to a senior officer? A very small percent speak up about any thing at a forum where seniors are present. Try as they might, senior officers are probably never going to have complete knowledge of the deckplates. Even using the goat locker just introduces a filter.

As a reminder, the open, nearly free for all, no jeopardy forums at Tailhook (pre 91 anyway) is what made Tailhook great. Before "safe space" was a thing, I saw a LT walk up to the mic to bitch about the messed up re-winging of the Intruder. He said the "fucker" responsible for that should be fired. To which, the admiral responsible took the mic and they discussed it. When a junior feels free to call out a senior with expletive's
(professional or not) you know you have an open unfiltered channel.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry you took insult, it wasn’t intended and I certainly didn’t mean to imply “you” were out of touch.
I wasn't insulted... I just think it's an odd way to try to make a point. When you said..."you need to spend more time in the workspaces," who, exactly, were you implying was out of touch?

If you disagree with something I say, construct an argument that supports your own POV.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
when did junior sailors start openly bitch without reserve to a senior officer?
When did you gain insight into the rapport I have with my Sailors? I think you (and others here) would be very surprised at exactly how I opperate in that space.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I wasn't insulted... I just think it's an odd way to try to make a point. When you said..."you need to spend more time in the workspaces," who, exactly, were you implying was out of touch?

If you disagree with something I say, construct an argument that supports your own POV.
I meant the universal “you.” Less awkward than typing out “…if someone believes such and such then that person needs to spend more time in the workspaces.”

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When did you gain insight into the rapport I have with my Sailors? I think you (and others here) would be very surprised at exactly how I opperate in that space.
I don't. And as I said, I am sure it is as productive as possible. But I do know human nature. While you are demonstrably successful and excellent rapport with troops is generally key to success for leaders, human nature usually prevails. I don't think you are a big teddy bear. I don't think you are a patsy at mast. You wear four stripes. You can change the course of careers. That makes most sailors consider their words and actions carefully. If you know the key to that trepidation, congrats. That is your retirement gig, sharing your secret.

taxi1

pilot
@Brett327 you started out on the other side of the O-E divide, correct? That can’t hurt.

I grew up the child of an eventual Chief, heard plenty while at the pinball machine at the Chief’s club while dad hung with his pals (don’t tell mom where I took you, here’s a bunch of quarters hush money).

Last edited: