• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Clearly an option piece. Not the same thing. And besides, that was before journalism took on the mantel of impartiality and purveyors of truth.
It wasn't in the OP Ed section. This is the front page of the paper.

But here's the point: all news is an opinion piece. Always has been, always will be. The choice of adjectives and adverbs can paint two very different pictures of the same factual event. Writers and editors know how to choose these words carefully to elicit a sense of emotion from the headline and piece, which is what sells.

I promise you can find similar pieces very easily after whatever landmark date you think the news became a 'purveyor of truth.' Hopefully without the infuriating substitution of f for s.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It wasn't in the OP Ed section. This is the front page of the paper.

But here's the point: all news is an opinion piece. Always has been, always will be. The choice of adjectives and adverbs can paint two very different pictures of the same factual event. Writers and editors know how to choose these words carefully to elicit a sense of emotion from the headline and piece, which is what sells.

I promise you can find similar pieces very easily after whatever landmark date you think the news became a 'purveyor of truth.' Hopefully without the infuriating substitution of f for s.
I am not going to argue the layouts and editorial philosophies of 18th century papers. But I will say that finding a modern NYT style oped page in a 18th century paper would be difficult at best. Point was that piece was opinion no matter where it is printed. Most COVID pieces were clearly not opinion. And most were not even factually wrong. Facts were editorially manipulated or excluded to present the worse case. And the 5th estate which prides itself on questioning the government to keep them honest and fair has not done so in COVID reporting.

I dont much care if this is the case in other cases or in history. I know it has. We are talking about COVID now. And the media has been horrible.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Yes. Linked below is a paper from 1790. (middle column first page - Congress gets paid too much and New England is too Arrogant).

The more things change...
Am I the only one impressed that pdf text recognition worked on that?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To paraphrase my freshman English composition prof, if you ask anyone the date the country went to shit, the date range they'd give you always turns out to be suspiciously close to when they personally entered puberty.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Most COVID pieces were clearly not opinion.
That's where you and I disagree. COVID-19 reporting, like all reporting, has a high inject of opinion.

What sounds more dire:

'NY sees record high 1000 new cases of COVID-19!'

vs

'1 in 10,000 NYers infected with COVID-19.'

Both are true statements. One gives people the impression of a big problem (opinion), the other is a benign statement making it sound like no big deal (also an opinion).

The media is a master at this craft. Always has been.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's where you and I disagree. COVID-19 reporting, like all reporting, has a high inject of opinion.

What sounds more dire:

'NY sees record high 1000 new cases of COVID-19!'

vs

'1 in 10,000 NYers infected with COVID-19.'

Both are true statements. One gives people the impression of a big problem (opinion), the other is a benign statement making it sound like no big deal (also an opinion).

The media is a master at this craft. Always has been.
Neither are opinion. They are facts. As I said, presented in a light that fits an agenda. Both are true. An opinion may be wrong or unprovable.

taxi1

pilot
Rapid cheap tests like this will be a HUGE game changer. Allow us to essentially get back to normal once use is widespread.

SlickAg

pilot
“The existing literature has concluded that NPI policy and social distancing have been essential to reducing the spread of COVID-19 and the number of deaths due to this deadly pandemic. The stylized facts established in this paper challenge this conclusion. We argue that research going forward should account for these facts when assessing how important NPI policy is in shaping the progression of COVID-19.”

Article about the paper and then the link to the paper below it. Plus some interesting data out of Minnesota.

BUT...just to be on the safe side, we should probably lock it all down and close everything forever, right Team Apocalypse?

jackjack

There were some concern about Victoria Australia and the recent spread of covid from quarantine. As you may know they implemented a lockdown a month ago.

As you would expect, this has greatly reduced the daily infection rate from 750 to under 100 per day.

taxi1

pilot
Article about the paper and then the link to the paper below it.
Interesting paper.

What it really says, is that the actions in the first 20-30 days were critical.

Simplifying, if you could suppress the growth rate during the first month so that on day 30 only 100 patients died, then you’d see a 100 or so die each day extending out.

If instead you screwed up the response and had 1000 dying on day 30, you’d have 1000/day extending out.

For areas that haven’t seen their first 25 deaths, when it comes, they need to respond aggressively.