• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

SlickAg

pilot
Geez, Harvard must let anyone teach there these days...?

“Under the vaccine scenario, the right strategy is to protect the elderly and other high-risk groups until they are protected by herd immunity, while the younger generations keep society afloat. Under the second scenario of natural immunity, the right strategy is to protect the elderly and other high-risk groups until they are protected by herd immunity, while the younger generations keep society afloat. If these two strategies sound about the same, they are.”

“Sweden never closed day-care centres or schools for its 1.8 million children ages one to 15. Of these children, zero died from Covid-19. The total number of cases is unknown, but the reported number is 468, which is 25 per 100,000. Of these 468 children, eight were hospitalised in an intensive care unit. This means that, whether schools are open or not, children are less at risk from Covid-19 than from influenza, which kills an average of 40-50 children in England and Wales each year. In contrast to influenza, schools are not driving the Covid-19 pandemic, and in Sweden, teachers had the same Covid-19 risk as the average risk among other professions.”

SlickAg

pilot
I’m a little surprised that a contributor at The Atlantic is capable of admitting this:

“My husband and I can work at home, and we can afford some assistance with child care. The huge number of parents who must work outside the home, parents who can’t afford any child care, and parents who don’t feel comfortable managing a sitter’s viral risk alongside their own are in a far worse situation. But no one’s situation is good. Kids like Raffi—who seem predisposed against online learning—are going to turn the fall into a battle. While I won’t go so far as to preemptively throw in the towel, I’m not sure how long or how hard I’m prepared to fight.”

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I’m a little surprised that a contributor at The Atlantic is capable of admitting this:

“My husband and I can work at home, and we can afford some assistance with child care. The huge number of parents who must work outside the home, parents who can’t afford any child care, and parents who don’t feel comfortable managing a sitter’s viral risk alongside their own are in a far worse situation. But no one’s situation is good. Kids like Raffi—who seem predisposed against online learning—are going to turn the fall into a battle. While I won’t go so far as to preemptively throw in the towel, I’m not sure how long or how hard I’m prepared to fight.”

I find their lack of faith disturbing.

SlickAg

pilot
Franklin Templeton’s findings following a research project on behavioral response to COVID-19: “we find a gross misperception of COVID-19 risk, driven by partisanship and misinformation.”

It is shocking that six months into the pandemic so many people still ignore the basic mortality statistics, with perceived risk driven by political leanings rather than individual age and health. Misperceptions of risk distort both individual behavior and policy decisions.”

“The first round of our Franklin Templeton–Gallup Economics of Recovery Study has already yielded three powerful and surprising insights:

1. Americans still misperceive the risks of death from COVID-19 for different age cohorts—to a shocking extent;

2. The misperception is greater for those who identify as Democrats, and for those who rely more on social media for information; partisanship and misinformation, to misquote Thomas Dolby, are blinding us from science; and

3. We find a sizable “safety premium” that could become a significant driver of inflation as the recovery gets underway.”

“Six months into this pandemic, Americans still dramatically misunderstand the risk of dying from COVID-19:

1. On average, Americans believe that people aged 55 and older account for just over half of total COVID-19 deaths; the actual figure is 92%.

2. Americans believe that people aged 44 and younger account for about 30% of total deaths; the actual figure is 2.7%.

3. Americans overestimate the risk of death from COVID-19 for people aged 24 and younger by a factor of 50; and they think the risk for people aged 65 and older is half of what it actually is (40% vs 80%).
These results are nothing short of stunning. Mortality data have shown from the very beginning that the COVID-19 virus age-discriminates, with deaths overwhelmingly concentrated in people who are older and suffer comorbidities. This is perhaps the only uncontroversial piece of evidence we have about this virus. Nearly all US fatalities have been among people older than 55; and yet a large number of Americans are still convinced that the risk to those younger than 55 is almost the same as to those who are older.”

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Franklin Templeton’s findings following a research project on behavioral response to COVID-19: “we find a gross misperception of COVID-19 risk, driven by partisanship and misinformation.”
Social media blows things out of proportion. In other news, the sun rises in the east. More at 11!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Social media blows things out of proportion. In other news, the sun rises in the east. More at 11!
Except it wasn't just social media. It was your nightly news, both cable and broadcast, that amped up misrepresentations about the often unreliable data put out by every state, several fed foreign agencies and dozens of competing Academics.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Except it wasn't just social media. It was your nightly news, both cable and broadcast, that amped up misrepresentations about the often unreliable data put out by every state, several fed foreign agencies and dozens of competing Academics.
Yea, they always do that. Then most people under 50 and everyone under 40 ignores them.

Social media is what got most people to panic.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yea, they always do that. Then most people under 50 and everyone under 40 ignores them.

Social media is what got most people to panic.
I know, I guess it is too much to expect the traditional media to be more responsible and investigative?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I know, I guess it is too much to expect the traditional media to be more responsible and investigative?

Yes. Linked below is a paper from 1790. (middle column first page - Congress gets paid too much and New England is too Arrogant).

The more things change...

Attachments

• service-sgp-sgpbatches-batch_dlc_himalayan_ver02-data-sn83030483-print-1790040701-0001.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 15

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes. Linked below is a paper from 1790. (middle column first page - Congress gets paid too much and New England is too Arrogant).

The more things change...
Clearly an option piece. Not the same thing. And besides, that was before journalism took on the mantel of impartiality and purveyors of truth.