• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"In light of the coronavirus pandemic, much of the SERE instruction was already being conducted online"

I can think of a few parts of SERE that would have sucked less if it were online...
Yes, the RTL would have been MUCH easier through online teaching. How would that work? Would you have to punch yourself while hanging out in smallest kitchen cabinet while playing "Boots" over your Hi-Fi system? :D

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Yes, the RTL would have been MUCH easier through online teaching. How would that work? Would you have to punch yourself while hanging out in smallest kitchen cabinet while playing "Boots" over your Hi-Fi system? :D
The online SERE 100 training is a good start. Slow...painful...barely relevant...software sucks (like a bad version of Minecraft)... It should almost qualify as a substitute for some of the less agreeable parts of SERE. :D

Imagine this scenario: "Would you rather do SERE 100, IA training, blah blah blah or attend SERE again?" Pause...pause...pause...thinking...
"Ummm SERE? Wait, no, I'll do the online training. "

SlickAg

pilot
This excerpt is from a 2016 study done by a Fellow of the Royal College of Dentists of Canada to determine the effectiveness of face masks in a dental environment. If this clinical-based, scientific study determined that they’re not effective in that setting, what exactly has changed in the past four years that makes them necessary for everyday wear.

“The primary reason for mandating the wearing of face masks is to protect dental personnel from airborne pathogens. This review has established that face masks are incapable of providing such a level of protection. Unless the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, national and provincial dental associations and regulatory agencies publically admit this fact, they will be guilty of perpetuating a myth which will be a disservice to the dental profession and its patients.“

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
This excerpt is from a 2016 study done by a Fellow of the Royal College of Dentists of Canada to determine the effectiveness of face masks in a dental environment. If this clinical-based, scientific study determined that they’re not effective in that setting, what exactly has changed in the past four years that makes them necessary for everyday wear.

“The primary reason for mandating the wearing of face masks is to protect dental personnel from airborne pathogens. This review has established that face masks are incapable of providing such a level of protection. Unless the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, national and provincial dental associations and regulatory agencies publically admit this fact, they will be guilty of perpetuating a myth which will be a disservice to the dental profession and its patients.“

I'll see your 4 year old study, and raise you a 2020 study from the National Institute of Standards and Technology specifically concerning the ability of cloth/cotton masks to block Covid-19(like) particles:

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2020/07/cotton-is-best-for-homemade-masks-study-suggests/

BLUF (Emphasis by me):
“The bottom line is that none of these fabrics are as good as an N95 mask. Still, cloth face coverings can help slow the spread of coronavirus,” said study author and fellow NIST researcher Christopher Zangmeister. “We hope this research will help manufacturers and DIYers determine the best fabrics for the job and serve as a basis for additional research.”

Link to the study if you care to spend the cash.

taxi1

pilot
“The primary reason for mandating the wearing of face masks is to protect dental personnel from airborne pathogens."
In this case, it is to protect us from your pathogens, not you from ours. If we all wear them, we are all protected.

Here's a recent (within the last week or so) peer-reviewed article.

Our analysis reveals that the difference with and without mandated face covering represents the determinant in shaping the pandemic trends in the three epicenters. This protective measure alone significantly reduced the number of infections, that is, by over 78,000 in Italy from April 6 to May 9 and over 66,000 in New York City from April 17 to May 9. Other mitigation measures, such as social distancing implemented in the United States, are insufficient by themselves in protecting the public. We conclude that wearing of face masks in public corresponds to the most effective means to prevent interhuman transmission, and this inexpensive practice, in conjunction with simultaneous social distancing, quarantine, and contact tracing, represents the most likely fighting opportunity to stop the COVID-19 pandemic. Our work also highlights the fact that sound science is essential in decision-making for the current and future public health pandemics.

SlickAg

pilot
I'll see your 4 year old study, and raise you a 2020 study from the National Institute of Standards and Technology specifically concerning the ability of cloth/cotton masks to block Covid-19(like) particles:

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2020/07/cotton-is-best-for-homemade-masks-study-suggests/

BLUF (Emphasis by me):

Link to the study if you care to spend the cash.
You’d think something so groundbreaking and conclusive would be in the public domain.

Any major non-Australian networks covering this groundbreaking study yet?

SlickAg

pilot
In this case, it is to protect us from your pathogens, not you from ours. If we all wear them, we are all protected.

Here's a recent (within the last week or so) peer-reviewed article.

Perfect.

So in LA, they issued a mandatory face mask order on June 18th. And now they’ve halted their reopening because the cases are going out of control. But if everyone has been wearing face masks for two weeks and they’re so effective, how come the cases have gotten so out of hand?

It’s almost as though most of the viral transmission is occurring where people aren’t wearing face masks. Say...at home or something...

So we need to just lock everyone down again for two weeks to flatten the curve again?

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
You’d think something so groundbreaking and conclusive would be in the public domain.

Any major non-Australian networks covering this groundbreaking study yet?
My god the hypocrisy: so unless the "mainstream media" is covering this study then this study has no merit?? The media is either a reliable source or it isn't, pick one.

SlickAg

pilot
Why didn't you google on "face mask efficacy"? You'd have gotten tons of hits answering your question, and no links to an obscure oral health magazine article that doesn't even directly address the issue at hand.

Hey dude, I have a finite amount of google searches to dispense, frankly, and generally don't waste it on things that I don’t care about like face mask efficacy. I'm also aware that a lot of what happens on Internet forums is an outrage generating machine. I try not to get sucked into it.

Sound familiar?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The argument is that school should be conducted virtually vice in person. So they'd still be working.
Only in theory.

I have three elementary school age children. All the Karens whined that their children got too much screen time and it was too hard to work with their own children. One of their teachers did a good job with this despite the whines. For the other two, work was cut down to about 2 hours a day. School is normally 6 hours long (taking out lunch).

My wife had to find home schooling materials to ensure they actually learned and finished their grade level math and science work and fill in the other 4 hours. The teachers couldn't be bothered to do more than post some materials on Sunday evening and make some 'hi how are you' videos every so often. Not even optional materials. And you can forget any effective education in art and music. The teachers were very obviously putting less than part time effort into education.

Other parents went the opposite way and didn't even make their kids do anything. Among the three grades there were about 1/4-1/3 of the children who finished all their assigned work. There's no accountability for that.

This is a district with normally a 7-8 elementary school score.

If they were in HS taking more advanced technical classes, we'd be screwed. If online education worked at a grade school level, the system would have shifted on its own before COVID.

Last edited:

SlickAg

pilot
My god the hypocrisy: so unless the "mainstream media" is covering this study then this study has no merit?? The media is either a reliable source or it isn't, pick one.
What’s hypocritical? If this is such a definitive answer I’m surprised that the major outlets haven’t picked up on it yet. I posted a link to major study that should be out soon regarding the efficacy of masks specifically guarding against SARS-covid-2. Doubt it will get much coverage.

But I think you know my feelings about the mainstream media. Remember when the rage on here was people saying that people who posted links from Fox News and The Daily Wire were just redhat MAGA cultists? Maybe you don’t remember. I doubt you’d participate in something like that.

Anyway, it’s almost as though they (the MSM) want all the outrage to keep festering until they get worse and worse and worse until...a certain presidential election?