• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor

Treetop Flyer

pilot
The meatpacking plants didn't shut down, but now we have empty shelves in the grocery stores. Testing shitshow and lack of PPE. Has Sweden had a similar experience?

I have no idea about the state of Swedish meatpacking or grocery stores. I can say the only empty shelves I’ve seen were from the initial panic and idiotic forced closures of restaurants.

taxi1

pilot
I have no idea about the state of Swedish meatpacking or grocery stores. I can say the only empty shelves I’ve seen were from the initial panic and idiotic forced closures of restaurants.
They're restricting the amount of meat you can purchase per visit where I'm at. An article...

Twenty workers have died and nearly 4,200 meatpackers at 115 processing plants in the United States are infected with the coronavirus, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control. The infection has closed dozens of plants where an estimated half-million workers process pork, beef and chicken.

The viral infection and subsequent closures are straining the supply of meat to market. Beef production is down 25% and pork has declined 15% from a year ago, according to figures from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

"We're starting to limit products to two packages of each type right now, at least for the foreseeable future," he said. Still, the short supply will mean higher prices.

"We’ve seen some pricing that’s gone up double what it was a week ago, so it gets to a point [where] we can’t absorb it any more," he said.

jackjack

How do you define “conservative” in this case? If by conservative you mean made up on the spot, then yes that’s a conservative estimate.
Well they say they have 23k cases and 2,800 deaths, So that's a death rate of 12%.
US has 1.2m cases and 60k deaths. So a death rate of 5%
Australia has a death rate of 1.4% and they say our numbers can be trusted, So I would call 1% conservative. What do you think the death rate per case is?

taxi1

pilot
Yes I did read the article, and others. The virus has impacted the food supply chain, which may lower demand on TP, so not all bad.

exNavyOffRec

They're restricting the amount of meat you can purchase per visit where I'm at. An article...
The stores I shop at as of yesterday have no restrictions, no increases in price, and they have been seeing a decline in demand so they ended up putting chicken and some beef products on sale, we picked up Tri-tip roast for 3.99 lb, and trimmed chicken breast for 1.99 lb

taxi1

pilot
Well they say they have 23k cases and 2,800 deaths, So that's a death rate of 12%.
Australia has a death rate of 1.4% and they say our numbers can be trusted, So I would call 1% conservative. What do you think the death rate per case is?
The thing is, there's CFR and then there's IFR. The IFR is lower, because it includes undiagnosed and asymptomatic cases.

jackjack

The thing is, there's CFR and then there's IFR. The IFR is lower, because it includes undiagnosed and asymptomatic cases.
Agreed and why I discounted the Aussie 1.4% to 1%. I don't think the US has 5%, I think that comes for lack of testing.

You could also come at it the other way. NY state has antibodies of 13%, so `1.3 M cases. Using their 20k death is 1.5% and statistically the same as australia

Any way you want to cut it. 1% is an underestimate of death rate.

Last edited:

A-Aron

Trying to get an accurate ratio of cases to deaths is futile. There are tens of millions all over the world who got infected but were never tested. This drastically throws off the numbers.

Edit: nvm. Pretty much what taxi1 said.

Last edited:

jackjack

You could also come at it the other way. NY state has antibodies of 14%, so `1.4 M cases. Using their 20k death is 1.4% and statistically the same as australia

Any way you want to cut it. 1% is an underestimate of death rate, per case.

Last edited: