• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

costs per hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

airwinger

pilot
Anyone know what it costs the navy per flight hour for the T-2 and/or T-45 even the cost of flight school or better yet any links to official sites that have this info.
I heard a figure of $6000 per T-2 hour bandied about while one site claimed $500 for T-45C time.
semper fi,
airwinger

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Can't speak for those airframes, but I've heard (rumor only) that the T-1 goes for about $1500 per operational hour $$$!!!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
By cost per hour, are you referring to how much fuel is used per hour, and how much the fuel costs? Right now JP-5 is 93 cents a gallon, and an S-3B Viking operates at around $400/hr. Unless training planes are gas guzzlers or there's another cost associated with flight, those numbers look high.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Thisguy said:
By cost per hour, are you referring to how much fuel is used per hour, and how much the fuel costs? Right now JP-5 is 93 cents a gallon, and an S-3B Viking operates at around $400/hr. Unless training planes are gas guzzlers our there's another cost associated with flight, those numbers look high.

I think for the T-1 when I heard that quote it was meant with respect to what it costs to operate the Beechjet 400 which is the civilian T-1. With commercial gas going from $2.70 to $3 per gallon that would be a huge difference there alone. Add in all the extra maintenance training planes need due to the beatings those planes get and I'm guessing that shoots the price up a lot also.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I think you hit the nail right on the head. One of our birds that diverted had to be refueled and the receipt was outrageous. It was something like 2.20 a gallon. As for maintenance though, we don't figure that into the cost per hour, I think the huge discrepancy on the gas price is enough.

airwinger

pilot
Actually I think the most accurate cost per hour calculation would also include estimated lifetime hours of each jet, maintenance times, fuel of course, salaries for IPs and studs plus of course the cost of maintaining the bases. Pretty tough to do.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Well, knowing what I know, cost per flight hour is defined as 7B funds (fuel money) divided by flight hours. Ask your MCO to see a 15-day report when you get to a squadron, you'll see what I mean.

airwinger

pilot
Thanks for the help. Who is the MCO? Maintenance Control Officer?
The $6000 per hour was given to us by the Opso to make us work harder on the upcoming det to Key West. I want to push my "I believe button" but it does seem pretty high.
semper fi

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
MCO is the material control officer...yeah, I think your OPSO is blowing smoke. Working hard and key west just don't seem to go together... ;)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We've got apples and oranges here fellas. Thisguy is giving the Navy's definition of "cost per hour" while Airwinger was asking for something completely different. Airwinger, you are only going to get a very rough estimate on what it costs to operate these aircraft per flight hour. There are too many variables in place, some that aren't even quantifiable. Bottom line, these aircraft cost a bit more to operate than the C-172 up at the local airport.

airwinger

pilot
Thanks for the responses gents. I once came across an AF website that tagged F-15 training at $2.9 million, this in addition to the almost $1million for T-37/T-38. Just wondered how the Navy reported costs to the GAO.

Demento

Old Salt
Try the GAO web site, airwinger?

airwinger said:
Thanks for the responses gents. I once came across an AF website that tagged F-15 training at $2.9 million, this in addition to the almost $1million for T-37/T-38. Just wondered how the Navy reported costs to the GAO.

The total cost to train is comprised of an awful lot of costs.

Individual cost to BUPERS for the billet over the time of training.
The cost of the ground training.
The total cost of the simulator training
The burdened cost of each flight hour
The apportioned cost of the IP cadre

In zero based accounting, there is even one way to slice it where the overhead of running the base operations is spread over each trained pilot.

So, what level of resolution are you looking for?

A T-45's contract cost is aroung 2000 bucks per hour.
A C-12 about 600
A T-34 around 400.

What costs are you counting?

You can come up with a bunch of different figures if you add and spread out or ignore certain sunk costs, such as runway repair and maintenance, ground electronics support, etc.

Demento

andrew

If yall want all the fixed costs and variable costs for almost every civilian airframe you can think of go www.planequest.com and click on operating costs then select your airframe you can even adjust the figures.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Demento said:
The total cost to train is comprised of an awful lot of costs.

Individual cost to BUPERS for the billet over the time of training.
The cost of the ground training.
The total cost of the simulator training
The burdened cost of each flight hour
The apportioned cost of the IP cadre

In zero based accounting, there is even one way to slice it where the overhead of running the base operations is spread over each trained pilot.

So, what level of resolution are you looking for?

A T-45's contract cost is aroung 2000 bucks per hour.
A C-12 about 600
A T-34 around 400.

What costs are you counting?

You can come up with a bunch of different figures if you add and spread out or ignore certain sunk costs, such as runway repair and maintenance, ground electronics support, etc.

Demento

Do you have the BUPERS cost for the guys they send to Vance for T-1s?

Status
Not open for further replies.