• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COST OF TRAINING Naval Aviators?

hscs

pilot
One other cost to think about is how much we spend every year to get our prospective department heads current after being out of the cockpit on their disassociated tour. It would be close to $250k for an HS/HSC bubba. Is that "getting out of the comfort zone" really worth that?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
Couldn't part of that cost be attributed to training/maintaining readiness of the surface assets as well?
It is, except for the carrier. That falls under NAVAIR. However, doing plane guard doesn't do anything for the surface fleet other than raise the hair on the back of the CO's neck and make the life of the OOD miserable making sure the carrier doesn't turn in front of him at any minute

S.O.B.

pilot
One other cost to think about is how much we spend every year to get our prospective department heads current after being out of the cockpit on their disassociated tour. It would be close to $250k for an HS/HSC bubba. Is that "getting out of the comfort zone" really worth that?

How about the Aviator that we spent X# of millions to train being out of the cockpit for a year and 1/2 on an IA, or the TPS grads that are being sent, I'm sure it doesn’t cost much to train those dudes.

hscs

pilot
^ couldn't agree more -- I figured that TPS guys were off-limits, but talked to two friends on Friday who either have been or currently on the bubble for an IA.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Reminds me of a saying we were taught plebe summer at the Boat School: Yea, it's a $100,000 education, but it is shoved up our ass a nickel at a time.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
I've often wondered how annoying/difficult it is for the plane guard ship to keep position. Looks like a pain.
I wouldn't say it's difficult. Somewhat annoying? Yes. Obviously you're at the mercy of the wind and the carrier is gonna go where the winds are. Whenever the carrier changes course for winds, the plane guard station moves with it. So you have to reposition. When the sun goes down you lose that visual reference so it's a bit more a pain and nerve racking. It really helps to have good comms between both ships and a proactive carrier OOD.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How about the Aviator that we spent X# of millions to train being out of the cockpit for a year and 1/2 on an IA, or the TPS grads that are being sent, I'm sure it doesn’t cost much to train those dudes.

Sorry, I don't have a lot of sympathy for TPS guys.........while I am sure most are good guys most of the ones I knew did not pull their weight to begin with.......:eek:

S.O.B.

pilot
Sorry, I don't have a lot of sympathy for TPS guys.........while I am sure most are good guys most of the ones I knew did not pull their weight to begin with.......:eek:

It’s got nothing to do with sympathy, you could train 20 SWOs or even invent some type of general duty officer for the cost of training a Test Pilot. It’s just a waste of money and I would imagine retention is going to take a hit.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It’s got nothing to do with sympathy, you could train 20 SWOs or even invent some type of general duty officer for the cost of training a Test Pilot. It’s just a waist of money and I would imagine retention is going to take a hit.

Waste (or waist) of money or not they are still Unrestricted Line officers and should have to take the pain just like everyone else.

Part of the reason for this attitude is that most of the TPS guys in my squadrons had a sense of entitlement already, 'Why should I do such pedestrian things that all the rest of you are doing' attitude that rubbed me the wrong way. I know of other guys who have gone through TPS and they have a much better attitude but there are plenty of other people who have special skills or have had extensive training/education (think PG school, etc) and they are not excused from IA's. They signed the dotted line like everyone else.........

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
^ couldn't agree more -- I figured that TPS guys were off-limits, but talked to two friends on Friday who either have been or currently on the bubble for an IA.

Thought I heard only SFTIs are off-limits to IA billets