• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CORTRAMID 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick Daly

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone else went to CORTRAMID 2003. I went east at Norfolk. I was Bravo Company, second platoon. Anyone have stories to share?

~Pat

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was there; however, I was the Aviation Coordinator (Yes, one of the Knucklehead LT's).....Did you get to fly? Did you learn anything and have a little fun while you were at it?
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
I was at East too... Golf Company, 2nd Platoon...

I've got too many stories to tell at once (and I've got to go study) but I have to say the ride in the T-34 was incredible.

If it wasn't for the pictures I took I'm sure my non-ROTC friends would never believe I'd done any of that stuff over the summer. Anyone claiming they rode in a T-34 & a MH-53, shot weapons and blew things up with the Marines, and spent time underway on both a surface ship and an SSBN just sounds like they're lying.

The consensus from everyone I've talked to is that CORTRAMID was awesome.

BFisher

Cessna 152 Ace
Is CORTRAMID the summer cruise I have been reading about where you do Aviation, SW, Subs and then Marines? It looks really fun! Did everyone get the T-34 ride?

rare21

pilot
Contributor
I remember when i went to CORTRAMID back in the day (like 5 years ago) me and a buddy were accused of signing some check in sheet a day ahead. Well we both knew it was total bs, but it was a mistake because the sheet was so jacked up and confusing so it was only a matter of time before this happened (and it happened many times after that). We told the LT coordinator that it was jacked up and the first words out of his mouth were "I designed that check in sheet." Me and my buddy just could not help but smirk and after we left we bust out laughing. Ahh what i remember from CORTRAMID.

Patrick Daly

CORTRAMID was awesome! I believe that everyone that passed the swim test was able to go up in the T-34. It was undoubtably the best part of the month for me, even as a Marine option. I went up with a female Marine Corps Captain, C-130 pilot. She gave me the stick for about 20 minutes and talked me through all the acrobatic stuff, lots of fun.

One of the sketchiest parts of the summer was during sub week. We were out on the USS Wyoming and they decided to give us a swim call on the first day. So they surfaced the sub, brought us topside and told us to jump off. After freezing my ass of in the middle of the Atlantic for about 5 minutes, I decided to climb the ladder and just chill at our "steel beach picnic." About 10 seconds after I climbed out of the water I heard a whistle blowing and the guys on watch were waving my fellow mids out of the water. Of course, being incompetent midshipmen (as all are at CORTRAMID), they proceeded to lackadaisically climb the ladder as if nothing were happening. It turned out there was a shark about 30 meters away, enclosing rapidly. So there was about 5 guys on the sub with m-16s pointed at the water ready to nail the shark. Quite a funny scene from my point of view. Damn good thing my buddies didn't get nabbed by that shark, although I'm sure it would have been obliterated into about 100 pieces by those m-16s had it gotten any closer (it was about 10 m away!) That was definitely a CORTAMID highlight.

For the LT who was running the show...it was definitely a great experience and we got some good prac app. but there was SO MUCH waiting around, especially during aviation week. SWO week also wasn't the greatest experience, I got on the USS Hayler, a DDG that was to be de-commed two weeks later...the enlisted personnel were pretty bitter that we were on board. Marine week was extremely motivating, the gunnies were funny guys, and we did so much cool stuff. And sub week was great, the capabilities of those things are truly amazing, and they have the best food I've tasted coming from the military. LTs did a great job...organized, funny, laid back, great guys.

Just have to give one more shout out to hotel company for getting busted drinking on VA Beach, and for our motivator in Bravo company who decided to moon a Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant, classic moves on both parts.

Anymore questions about CORTRAMID let me know, I had a great time!

4thgen

I went on CORTRAMID WEST and had a blast. From the other mids in my unit that went to EAST, WEST had a better time. But I guess it is a matter of opinion. Also, being a MO had its privilages. We got practically all the leadership positions and obtained special treatment during Marine Week (i.e. "taking hostages") We had two Navy mids that fell of, I think the USS Denver, or maybe that's because they were from Colorado and I was thinkin Denver when I think about them. Either way, it was really funny and they were made fun of everywhere they went. I really like the story about your swim call, Patrick Daly. We had something similar but it was with a giant ocean sunfish. I loved my CORTRAMID experience. It helped me to just about make up my mind on my MOS.

4thgen

Also, the CO of Cortramid West made sure each mid got a T-34 ride. The staff was outstanding. Also, most MO's got F-18 rides.

red_stang65

pilot
I went East; actually, Daly and I were in the same company, though I was in Alpha Plt. Words cannot describe the shear enjoyment that is CORTRAMID. Not only does it open one's eyes to the many different possibilities within the Navy--not only communities, but within each community as well--but it really humbles a person when shown the amazing capabilities of the Navy/Marine Corps.

4thgen, my roomate (a prior-enlisted MO) went West. From the sound of it, the F-18 rides were definitely something (ten mins. to get from Miramar to Nevada? Damn...).

4thgen

red_stang65,
What was the name of your roomate that went on CORTRAMID West? If I am correct in assuming who your roomate is, I believe he was 1st Platoon's Platoon SGT for Marine Week. The company gunney reamed him for wearing the digitals during CORTRAMID, even though he went to boot camp and earned those digitals.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
4thgen,

I was on West with you...I remember hearing about the knuckleheads that fell off of the Denver! To anyone: go WEST if at all possible. San Diego is awesome. Also while I was on Aviation week, I went up in theT-34, S-3, and P-3. I think I had the most flight time out of any Mid that summer, so needless to say, I lucked out. I was also lucky enough to meet the Vice Admiral in charge of 3rd Fleet and got my picture with him as well as command coin.

Nozer

4thgen

NozeMan,

Yeah we were talking about them at the airport on our way back home and it turns out the guy sitting next to us was one of the guys who fell off. He was like, "Yeah ... that was me." We all had a good laugh. What company were you in, Nozer?

Patrick Daly

Hey Coffman, happy to see someone I know on this site. How's the SD life? I miss you guys out there but moving to BU was definitely in my best interest, I'm loving it. I'm assuming the roommate you're talking about is Landis...how's he doing? Well I hope all is well out there, give my best to everyone in the SD battalion.

Pat

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
4thgen

I was in Golf Company. I was the CC for the first week of it.

Noze

4thgen

Noze,

Yeah I was in Foxtrot so we were paired up with Echo most of the time. I got PC the first week, which sucked 'cus I knew noone and tryin to take role of a buncha people you have no clue of who they are sucks. I am not sure if there was anyone from my battalion in Golf but I am almost positive there was. I am from Miami U. Cortramid was soo much fun, though. Especially Marine Week. Good friekin times.

Status
Not open for further replies.