• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Corpus question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniH

Jennifer
Hey everyone. My husband will probably be starting API in a couple of weeks and then we'll be going to Corpus for Primary. Can anyone give me any rental information (apartments or preferably homes). We'd like a 3 bedroom (2 kids) and it needs to be within the BAH (which is about 800, I think). Any ideas
idea_125.gif
? It doesn't have to be grand, just clean
thumbup_125.gif
and in a good area.

Jennifer
icon_smile_wink.gif

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I used apartmentguide.com and got a real good idea from it. I know for single guy the BAH is about 650.

anything on Staples St. is pretty nice, well newer anyway. I have a couple of firends who live on the island, they like it as well. Also the base just completed and entire new phase of family housing. They look really nice. I have 2 friends who went that route with their families, and they are quite pleased!

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
Hey Jennifer! Glad to see you're coming this way! WOOHOO!
bouncy_125.gif
As far as BAH it is actually $999 for here (with dependents). So, you have a little more than you thought- which is really nice!

As far as good places- I haven't heard great things about Flour Bluff- it is actually close to the base- but not really a good neighborhood. Greg and I drove through there when we first were looking- and let's just say- we haven't been back since!
boggled_125.gif
It really wasn't somewhere we'd want to live. But unlike P'cola- CC has an expressway to get to the base- and it is fast! It only takes about 10-15 mins. Have you talked to the housing office about living on base? I know that they just built a ton of new housing- so I'm not sure if that is something you'd be interested in.

I'll PM you soon- with more details!! Feel free to email me! We'll have to get together when you get here!
bouncy_125.gif

Heather

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Live on base. I did and it was great. Kids everywhere, security, exchange and commisary all close by. Plus the flight line is only a min or two away. The new houses are awesome. I have 2 kids and we got a 4 bedroom. Wouldn't have lived in town for free. Being on base was a heck of alot better than being in town.

Dave

JenniH

Jennifer
Dave, is it easy to get on base housing if it's not a PCS move? I guess I've been under the impression that they won't consider you for that if it's temporary. That would be a lot easier! We'll check on that!

Also, my husband is and O-1 so our BAH is 811. We've checked out apartmentguide.com and see several places, but sometimes the pictures look better than the place is ;)

Jennifer

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Primary flight training is a PCS move. So, you are able to get a house on base. Its not that hard to do. They may tell you that they do not have any houses. However, just stay after them. The houses are there. By getting a house on base you pay the housing office your BAH. That covers your house, water, electric and waste. All you pay extra is phone and cable. Def. the way to go.

Dazve

crimson

hello and good evening!

my SO and I are going to move to Corpus for Primary as well and though the post have been informative I was wondering if anyone had any insight into places to live that would be on the beach, but easy to get to the base and on the road to kingsville. i will be working in corpus and kingsville so that is important to us. plus, he thinks he'll do Intermediate in kingsville. though i guess that is up in the air.
blindfold_125.gif

we want a 2 or 3 bdr ( i have to have a study and a place for my books) and be on the beach in a community that is made for young professionls rather than families. we are thinking 1200 dollars, but are willing to go a little highter. is that possible? or are we out of luck.
boggled_125.gif

thanks!

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
On the beach and Kingsville? No such animal. The beach in Corpus is the Island (San Padre or Mustang). It's about 10 min or so to the base. It is East of NAS Corpus so you would pass the base and the city of corpus on your way to Kingsville. There are a couple of Condo/Apartments on the islands as well as private homes for rent. Look at the Corpus Newspaper online under the real estate section.

Dave

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
if you have the time to commute to kingsville, LIVE IN CORPUS. Kingsville had a dair q, gas station and the base....
Oh yeah, and the mesquitos somehow mutate into teridactiles somewhere between corpus and kingsville. They then migrate to kingsville! LOL

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
Good point Dave. You can check out info. at www.callertimes.com and/or www.apartmentguide.com or www.apartments.com. Also there is www.corpuschristi.com. Hope this helps! Let me know- I can help with any info- I live here! Just email me!

Heather
apple_125.gif

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I agree with Dave, we have base housing here in Corpus. A week from leaving Pcola we called down here and faxed my orders, and just walked right into a house. We tried to get housing at Pcola, but according to the folks who run the housing office, PCS orders or not-you have to be stationed there for at least 6 months to qual for base housing. We had housing at Quantico also, and my wife wouldn't have it any other way. We lived up there during the whole "sniper" attacks. Being on base, we didn't have to worry about it, and having a commissary and gas station on base, we didn't have to leave until that whole thing was over. Anyway, I think it's good for the family, but to each their own...

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
As for as good 3 bedroom places in Corpus, I just moved here a few weeks ago. Either live on the Island off Whitecap Dr. or for good apartments try Baypoint Apartments or Camden Breakers. A decent 3 bedroom apartment in a good area will run about $1000-$1200 a month. A 3 bedroom house goes for anywhere from $900-3000 a month. I would suggest at least looking at the areas prior to picking a place. Crime down here is very high. Vehicles are broken into on a regular basis and stolen almost as often, so you want to try and live in a nice area. All of the island is good as are places on Saratoga. Also, there is no more Intermediate training. It has been combined with Primary and you do it all at once and select your platform right after and then go to advanced.

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
I have to disagree with Lowflier as far as 3 bedrooms. We have a great 3BR, 1600 sq' and a back yard- for only $850. We aren't in the ghetto- we are only 2 blocks from the bay! It is nice- there are $400,000 and above houses only 2 blocks away! So, you can find them- but they are hard! We did run into those prices that Lowflier mentioned- which scared us- then we had good luck!

If you want detailed info on how our move to CC was- check out the 'Moving to Corpus Questions' forum under the Spouse's Corner- I have some great info there! Anyone has any questions- let me know!

Heather
apple_125.gif

jthorp

E5B,
how in the heck did you get on base housing at Quantico? We would have loved to live on base. We were there during the sniper thing, too, and living off base was so freaky!! The only time I felt safe was on base. And every time my husband went out in to the field for a couple of days the sniper would hit the morning he left. I knew wives who literally did not leave their houses for three weeks.

Heather,
in one of your entries, you said you looked into Armon Bay. It seems like a pretty decent price and close to base-what was it like? We're moving out there in a couple of weeks (C-130 school!!) I don't know if we'll get a chance to shop around before we go because we want to go on a cruise between schools. I'm also pretty interested in Baypoint. It looks really nice. Also, did you see Walnut Ridge at all? The only reason I'm intereseted in it is for the free tanning bed!
eyebrows_125.gif
pitiful, I know.

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
No, not pitiful- resourceful! lol
bouncy_125.gif

I did look at Armon Bay- from the road- lol. We couldn't afford what they had available- but I have been by Walnut Ridge- if I remember- they aren't bad- and Baypoint...hmm...sounds familiar as well. You're coming here? Cool!
bouncy_125.gif
Email me and I can give you more details. Good luck with the move- and congrats again on the selection!

Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.