• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Confused

TheMattAttack

Hey all,

I'm not trying to bring up a huge fight between services. But I'm looking for a little insight. For the longest time I've wanted to fly Navy, until someone told me that the AF has more planes and they get treated better. They also said the perks of being in the AF are slightly better, one of which being the pay. I'm just looking for a some unbiased answers. Like I said, I'm not looking to start a giant fight between different branches of the military. Just curious and looking to hear a couple of the major differences. Thanks for any information you guys can provide.

Superclub

pilot
Not exactly sure about the actual figures, but I believe the Navy flies a larger number of total aircraft.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
SN or USAF? by Bob Norris

Bob Norris is a former Naval aviator who also did a 3 year exchange tour flying the F-15 Eagle. He is now an accomplished author of entertaining books about US Naval Aviation including "Check Six" and "Fly-Off". Check out his web site at his web site. Click Here. In response to a letter from an aspiring fighter pilot on which military academy to attend, Bob replied with the following.

12 Feb 04

Young Man,

Congratulations on your selection to both the Naval and Air Force Academies. Your goal of becoming a fighter pilot is impressive and a fine way to serve your country. As you requested, I'd be happy to share some insight into which service would be the best choice. Each service has a distinctly different culture. You need to ask yourself "Which one am I more likely to thrive in?"

USAF Snapshot: The USAF is exceptionally well organized and well run. Their training programs are terrific. All pilots are groomed to meet high standards for knowledge and professionalism. Their aircraft are top-notch and extremely well maintained. Their facilities are excellent. Their enlisted personnel are the brightest and the best trained. The USAF is homogenous and macro. No matter where you go, you'll know what to expect, what is expected of you, and you'll be given the training & tools you need to meet those expectations. You will never be put in a situation over your head. Over a 20-year career, you will be home for most important family events. Your Mom would want you to be an Air Force pilot...so would your wife. Your Dad would want your sister to marry one.

Navy Snapshot: Aviators are part of the Navy, but so are Black shoes (surface warfare) and bubble heads (submariners). Furthermore, the Navy is split into two distinctly different Fleets (West and East Coast). The Navy is heterogeneous and micro. Your squadron is your home; it may be great, average, or awful. A squadron can go from one extreme to the other before you know it. You will spend months preparing for cruise and months on cruise. The quality of the aircraft varies directly with the availability of parts. Senior Navy enlisted are salt of the earth; you'll be proud if you earn their respect. Junior enlisted vary from terrific to the troubled kid the judge made join the service. You will be given the opportunity to lead these people during your career; you will be humbled and get your hands dirty. The quality of your training will vary and sometimes you will be over your head. You will miss many important family events. There will be long stretches of tedious duty aboard ship. You will fly in very bad weather and/or at night and you will be scared many times. You will fly with legends in the Navy and they will kick your ass until you become a lethal force. And some days - when the scheduling Gods have smiled upon you - your jet will catapult into a glorious morning over a far-away sea and you will be drop-jawed that someone would pay you to do it. The hottest girl in the bar wants to meet the Naval Aviator. That bar is in Singapore.

Bottom line, son, if you gotta ask...pack warm & good luck in Colorado.

Banzai

PS Air Force pilots wear scarves and iron their flight suits.

links,
here,
on this site,
try the search button next time.

Air Force, Navy, or Marines

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TheMattAttack said:
Hey all,
For the longest time I've wanted to fly Navy, until someone told me that the AF has more planes and they get treated better. They also said the perks of being in the AF are slightly better, one of which being the pay. QUOTE]

Actually, Army has more aircraft (mostly helos) than USAF and more "boats" than Navy (albeit much smaller). DoD pay charts are the same for officers and enlisted so "they" need to check their sources. Only difference between services is aviation/community bonuses for staying in are service unique and can vary from community to community and year to year (so don't bet on the come on that). Depending on how deployments are set up, the P-3 may boast the best "compensation" hence its nickname of "Per Diem" Three.

That said, USAF has flying as its primary reason d'etre whereas Naval Aviation is but one community of several (Surface, Submarine and Special Warfare) and a supporting arm of USMC (Infantry rules). "Banzai" Norris says a lot in his passages above, but I wouldn't go USAF if I was to do it all over again. If you like golf and ironing your flight suit and living in a "corporate" PC environment with your future mapped out for you, go for Air Force blue. If you want to lead right from the start and have responsibility and challenges every day, opt for Navy or Marines.

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
Well, I once had a similar situation, but it was Navy v. Marine as opposed to Air Force. With about three days left until I had to make my decision, I started freaking out. Until that time I was 95% sure I wanted to go the Navy route, but the closer the hour for decision came the more unsure I was. I got two great pieces of advice. The first was this: "Joining a service is a lot like getting married. You have got to love what you are doing, or else you will be miserable, because like a wife, it will take a lot from you." The second was that the decision ought to be about culture-fit. Every service has a different culture. I know people who have flown with the Air Force, the Navy, and the Marines. All have been good people. When I thought about it, the peopel that I respected the most were Marines, and a lot of aspects of the Marine Corps seemed to be more in keeping with my own attitudes and ideas.

As a Marine SNA, I am convinced that the greatest thing I could do in life is to put ordnance on target for a Grunt on the deck, or CASEVAC a wounded Marine so that he/she can go home again. After all, it's not about you. It's about the Pfc's and LCpl's on the ground with an M-16 and 120 rounds of 5.56. In the Air Force, I beilieve that it really is about the pilots. After all, it is the reason that the whole organization exists. The Navy strikes me as a bit of a middle ground between the two. Naval aviation is a very distinct community but they recognize that they are part of a larger team.

Probably one of the biggest differences between all of the services is what you will be doing when you are not flying. From what I've been told, and I'm not saying this is accurate, if you are a pilot in the Air Force you will spend a greater part of your career in the cockpit. As a Marine, you might be a forward air controller calling close air support, or an exchange pilot with another country. You might spend the later years of your career doing something unrelated to aviation at all. Same with the Navy. I think you will only be in a flying status for about 50% of your first 12 years in or so. Again, I'm not sure how valid any of that is, as it's mainly from old career progression charts, heresay, and my perceptions.

Bottom line: Talk to as many people from different services as you can, consider what each one offers, and decide where you think you will fit in better. Good luck with your decision and your pursuit of your dream.

saltpeter

The pay is better in the AF, what? Pay is determined by congress, i.e. a certain rank is entitled to a certain amount of moila. COLA, probably puts Navy and Marine pilots ahead of AF guys state side, because of the cost of living near an ocean. AF guys stationed oversees make more than Navy guys on the boat, again because of the cost of living. The boat being very inexpensive and ergonomically attractive. As far as bonuses go, it's a crap shoot as to who makes out better, it depends on the time of day and the wind.

T37Driver

Lone Warrior
Whichever you end up joining...YOU WILL END UP LOVING. Every service has its own ups and downs. Generally I believe it's easier to get a pilot slot with the Navy than the Air Force. You have time to decide. Do as much research as possible. Try also going to an Air Force forum and see what they have to say. Their opinions may, and probably will, differ vastly than of the people here or let's say on an Army Aviation Forum. Their a lot of Self Pride and most everyone puts their service atop the other:D .

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I'm not a boat schooler I swear...
and the proper term is douche nozzle...

plus i jibed so much all night i was out of tact...

NavyLonghorn

I think the important issue is, what do you want to do?

You wanna fly heavys? Airforce has C-17's, C-5's, KC-10's. Some pretty nifty heavys.

Wanna fly fighters? Airforce has plenty, so does the navy.

Wanna be a homo? Join the airforce.

That about summs it up.

TheMattAttack

A friend of mine told me that the air force pays slightly better. Thus being one of the "perks" of the air force. Apparently pay is the same throughout the military depending upon rank. All in all, navy sounds like a better fit. After all, it takes some skill to land a carrier....

NavyLonghorn

The Airforce is more generous with their money, that is true. The bases are nicer, the equipment is newer, and they are more likely to give out certain allotments (e.g. all the Airforce kids got paid for Ivan)

That being said.. offer me double, im still stayin in the Navy.

I guess youve already figured out the payscale is the same though.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
A lot of their bases are also located in ****hole towns.

Bottom line- apply to both, and go with whoever accepts you. If you get accepted to both, go with the better deal for you (if you dont have any loyalties). If both deals are the same, figure out what branch seems like a better fit for you (ask youself where you see your self in 10-20yrs etc) and go from there.