• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Community select numbers for NFO's

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
So I've searched and can't find exactly what I am looking for, but what I am wondering is out of a class of NFO's at primary how many are typically selected for each community? I assume its alot like the pilot situation, but if someone could confirm where most folks go and where most folks don't I would appreciate it very much.

r/
Josh

jbelsha53

USMC NFO
None
Don't pay attention to him ;)
It varies week by week, depending on what the FRSs need, etc. There's no real way to know til you select.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
When I went through, the slots were like this (can't remember the numbers)

1. P-3s/ E-6s: Really hard to get
2. E-2s: Hard to get
3. Jets: Everyone else

Also, the class you start out with is not necessarily the class you graduate with. Weather, med downs, failed flights, etc. will have guys rolling in and out of classes all the time.

The VTs will try to hook guys up with slots. If they know a class has five guys who want X but there are only four slots that week; while the next class only has one guy, they'll roll back one person. That's what happened to me, I wanted E-2s so I was rolled back a class while a guy who wanted jets was rolled into my slot.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Red2 said:
When I went through, the slots were like this (can't remember the numbers)

1. P-3s/ E-6s: Really hard to get
2. E-2s: Hard to get
3. Jets: Everyone else

Also, the class you start out with is not necessarily the class you graduate with. Weather, med downs, failed flights, etc. will have guys rolling in and out of classes all the time.

The VTs will try to hook guys up with slots. If they know a class has five guys who want X but there are only four slots that week; while the next class only has one guy, they'll roll back one person. That's what happened to me, I wanted E-2s so I was rolled back a class while a guy who wanted jets was rolled into my slot.

Thanks man, thats what I was hoping to get for info, I really appreciate it.

r/
Josh

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ip568 said:
All former enlisted in my class wanted P-3s (hint, hint).
Which just means they're too dumb to know any better. ;)

Brett

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
JoshDavid said:
Thanks man, thats what I was hoping to get for info, I really appreciate it.

r/
Josh

I would take that with a grain of salt, however... for about a year around the time I was going through intermediate there was a big-time E-2 draft and a lot of people being forced to go through there... very few Navy types made it across the street to VT-86. Around when I went through API, word was that folks were all busy fighting over P-3 slots. Changes all the time...

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
TurnandBurn55 said:
Around when I went through API, word was that folks were all busy fighting over P-3 slots. Changes all the time...

Now they hardly give out any panel nav slots. They are trying to start a test group to go straight to the FRS from Primary, but who knows how long that will last.

Like you said.......changes all the time.

TurnandBurn55

None
Yeah, the would make sense... I'm not sure I quite understand why they select E-2 NFOs alll the way at the end of intermediate either (seriously, do you need VNAVs and FORM flights for that?)

But the NFO TRACOM is always in a state of flux. Having the Air Force stick their ideas in as well doesn't help either (B-1 guys wanna learn air-to-air, too!!!)

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
But the NFO TRACOM is always in a state of flux. Having the Air Force stick their ideas in as well doesn't help either (B-1 guys wanna learn air-to-air, too!!!)

I'm at 86 right now and am in the first class of what they call the Universal-Hybrid Syllabus. Basically we only do two Low Levels and now do four or five reattack sims and two reattack flights before selection. Then at selection, the AF guys that get the BONE get softwinged then and there, the USN/USMC Strike guys start T-2's the next work day and the S/F guys do there typical start-up the next work day.

A little off topic but thought it would help.

Blackout

Whoa thats crazy... So are the radar nav hops gone..? Did they still keep the fighter strike hops? It seems like that would really streamline the syllabus. I thought those AF Strike guys were getting winged fast before, but it seems like they would be flying through the door now.

TurnandBurn55

None
No, I think what he's saying is that the major changes to the universal syllabus include 2 low levels instead of four, and re-attacks for all prior to selection.

Still got RNs, fighter-strikes, and I guess fighter-comps (though I missed out on that change in the syllabus)

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
Burn is correct. Everyone does strikes and comps now, along with the reattacks. Keep in mind the Navy strike guys will have some air-to-air capability soon. I just got winged recently, actually I am the last above below syllabus guy ever.

As for the original question about slots. The way it went for us was those who wanted E-2Cs got them, the highest ranked that wanted P-3s got them, and everyone else got jets. As a side note funny how so many academy guys DORed when they didn't get P-3s. Great patriots there. Now when you get to VT-86 what you get depends on the whole anthro thing now. I got Strike/Fighter cause of the restrictions, and unfortunately most of the slots for Strike/Fighter go to antrho guys. No worries for those who get stirke though, I hear the Growler is going to be an intense kick a** NFO platform.

Would love to hear some input about how to succeed in the FRS from the guys doing it right now. I am headed to VFA-122 tomorrow.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What happens to DORs these days? To the curb or to another community?

Status
Not open for further replies.