• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commission after NROTC

iceman2115

I heard that Naval Academy, NROTC, and other graduates get to select/list their top choices as to where they want to be stationed, e.g. type of Surface Warfare vessel or where in U.S./or round the world they are stationed. I was wondering if this is true first? If it is i was wondering if anyone recommends requesting a specific location or specific type of ship that might be better to serve on than another, for any reason? Additioanlly, how many carrer options are there? The only ones that I know of are SWO, naval aviator, fighter pilot, and submarine officer...I understand that there are specific sub jobs under these but are there any other main ones.

Kyoowashugi

. . . Additioanlly, how many carrer options are there? . . .

Your options out of NROTC are:

1.) SWO
2.) SNA
3.) SNFO
4.) Sub (Nuke)
5.) SWO (Nuke)
6.) Naval Reactors (very competitive)
7.) Medicine/Dental (even more competitive)
8.) EOD
9.) SpecWar (SEALs)

Oh, and Marine officer, but that's more or less a totally different program.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
...Additioanlly, how many carrer options are there? The only ones that I know of are SWO, naval aviator, fighter pilot, and submarine officer...I understand that there are specific sub jobs under these but are there any other main ones.

Oooookay....

I dealt with my blood pressure spike of the day this morning so I'll give you a pass on this one.

but it's generally not a good idea.. to... well... nvm

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Oooookay....

I dealt with my blood pressure spike of the day this morning so I'll give you a pass on this one.

I know, I know - I didn't know you could select fighter pilot out of NROTC either. I just filled out my service assignment sheet too, and didn't put it down.

Mavric09

Is that what she said?
I know for SWO's straight out of ROTC, you're ranked nationally against your peer group and they put you on a list and also put out a list of boats with openings and you wait until it's your turn and whatever's left you can pick up. Later in life and the other communities will get to fill out a wish list with 1st 2nd and 3rd priority, they try and fulfill everyone's first choice but (Needs Of The Navy) and you only get to delineate either platform or location as your top priority. What that means is if living on the west coast is more important, then San Diego or Seattle will be your top pick and they'll put you on whatever is available at that station. Or, if you just really want to be on a cruiser than they'll find an opening on one somewhere.

iceman2115

Oooookay....

I put fighter pilot down because that's what came to mind first when I was quickly typing out my question. Yes I do know that there are other kind of pilots and becoming a fighter pilot is very competitive. I am sorry if I offended other pilots, oh wait I'm not! It's not that serious so chill out. Furthermore, if you can answer the question please do because it would be greatly appreciated. However, if you would rather nit pick at minor irrelevant mistakes than feel free to move on! This is a FORUM hence it is informal...I don't waste my time revising my threads so as to make them politically correct and avoid offending certain identity groups in this case, i.e pilots.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
I put fighter pilot down because that's what came to mind first when I was quickly typing out my question. Yes I do know that there are other kind of pilots and becoming a fighter pilot is very competitive. I am sorry if I offended other pilots, oh wait I'm not! It's not that serious so chill out. Furthermore, if you can answer the question please do because it would be greatly appreciated. However, if you would rather nit pick at minor irrelevant mistakes than feel free to move on! This is a FORUM hence it is informal...I don't waste my time revising my threads so as to make them politically correct and avoid offending certain identity groups in this case, i.e pilots.

oh boy.. just quit while your ahead, it was a joke, and I wan't getting mad, or worked up. In fact I think I made it pretty clear that I was not getting worked up.

And YOU SHOULD BE conscious of who you offend, because chances are, at least one of the people on here may be sitting on your selection board, you are not as anonymous as you think you are.

so take your own advice and chill out, grow some thicker skin, and take a joke before all of the people who will be sitting in on my future boards get the impression that I am this angry all the time in real life.

torpedo0126

I'm not sure I understand your question? I can help you with some of it.

SWO--There is giant formula that will rank you against everyone across the nation (it should encompass your grades, PRT, etc). It will determine what you get to select. Basically (this is how they did it at my unit) they will sit the person down and call the detailer at a certain time. They will give you a list of openings (i.e. DDG out of Norfolk, CG out of Japan). Obviously the 'best' availabilities go first.

Pilot/NFO--not sure how the selection process works exactly but again they use the formula, including your grades, ASTB, evals AND PNS points (how the CO ranks you). This might just be based off the MIDN evals (the evals should rank you like a REAL FITREP). Later on as you progress through the pipeline your performance, preference and needs of the Navy will dictate your platform.

Sub--You will be screened based on the above mentioned formula, physic/calc scores, major. If you pass the screen you will be invited to have an interview with the flag officer in charge of nuke training (not sure of his name, rank or billet). If you pass that have your checking account info ready because you get a $15,000 bonus. You will go to power school after commissioning. I'm not sure how ship selection works after that, but I am sure it has something to do with your performance in power school.

SWO(N)--you go basically through the same process as above, except there is an added bonus...you don't have to go on a sub! After commissioning, you will first go earn your SWO pin and THEN go to power school. Your second tour will be on a carrier.

Reactors--You go through a TIGHT screening process. If selected you go through more intense interview process than the sub/SWO(N) one. However, if you are turned down at reactors, your reactors interview will count toward a sub interview if you so choose. After commissioning, throw your uniforms away because you will wear a suit and tie to work. Also, I'm pretty sure there is a limit as to how long you can stay in the Navy. They will send you to grad school as well.

Medicine--There are several different avenues to becoming a doctor but I will tell you the one most people want. There is a national scholarship with 25 slots yearly. The Navy will pay for your medical school after commissioning. You will retain your rank, pay, everything. Not sure on the service requirements. What often happens though is that 1) you don't get the scholarship but you get into med school and 2) you get the scholarship but you don't get into med school. Happened to a few people when I was in college.

EOD/SEALS--Very unsure as to the process...but if your recommended you will be interviewed and have to pass their dive/SEAL physical fitness test. From what I have heard, you get ONE shot (enlisted can go back) at BUDS. Officer attrition is something like 98%...lots of academy guys make it through.

EDO--Not sure how you work this one out initially, but after commissioning you will go get your SWO pin and then go to EDO school. Lots of cool things to do in this field including working on space stuff.

Sorry if this is poorly written...played hockey today and I can barely keep from falling over.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I'm not sure I understand your question? I can help you with some of it.

SWO--There is giant formula that will rank you against everyone across the nation (it should encompass your grades, PRT, etc). It will determine what you get to select. Basically (this is how they did it at my unit) they will sit the person down and call the detailer at a certain time. They will give you a list of openings (i.e. DDG out of Norfolk, CG out of Japan). Obviously the 'best' availabilities go first.

Pilot/NFO--not sure how the selection process works exactly but again they use the formula, including your grades, ASTB, evals AND PNS points (how the CO ranks you). This might just be based off the MIDN evals (the evals should rank you like a REAL FITREP). Later on as you progress through the pipeline your performance, preference and needs of the Navy will dictate your platform.

Sub--You will be screened based on the above mentioned formula, physic/calc scores, major. If you pass the screen you will be invited to have an interview with the flag officer in charge of nuke training (not sure of his name, rank or billet). If you pass that have your checking account info ready because you get a $15,000 bonus. You will go to power school after commissioning. I'm not sure how ship selection works after that, but I am sure it has something to do with your performance in power school.

SWO(N)--you go basically through the same process as above, except there is an added bonus...you don't have to go on a sub! After commissioning, you will first go earn your SWO pin and THEN go to power school. Your second tour will be on a carrier.

Reactors--You go through a TIGHT screening process. If selected you go through more intense interview process than the sub/SWO(N) one. However, if you are turned down at reactors, your reactors interview will count toward a sub interview if you so choose. After commissioning, throw your uniforms away because you will wear a suit and tie to work. Also, I'm pretty sure there is a limit as to how long you can stay in the Navy. They will send you to grad school as well.

Medicine--There are several different avenues to becoming a doctor but I will tell you the one most people want. There is a national scholarship with 25 slots yearly. The Navy will pay for your medical school after commissioning. You will retain your rank, pay, everything. Not sure on the service requirements. What often happens though is that 1) you don't get the scholarship but you get into med school and 2) you get the scholarship but you don't get into med school. Happened to a few people when I was in college.

EOD/SEALS--Very unsure as to the process...but if your recommended you will be interviewed and have to pass their dive/SEAL physical fitness test. From what I have heard, you get ONE shot (enlisted can go back) at BUDS. Officer attrition is something like 98%...lots of academy guys make it through.

EDO--Not sure how you work this one out initially, but after commissioning you will go get your SWO pin and then go to EDO school. Lots of cool things to do in this field including working on space stuff.

Sorry if this is poorly written...played hockey today and I can barely keep from falling over.

Wow, I never knew any of that. I always assumed the NROTC types said Reactors instead of Subs/SWO(N)... I had no clue. What is the service time for that? We have nothing comparable to that at the Academy that I know of...

Ricky Bobby

I would suggest NOT insulting and lecturing the people you are asking for help. Just doesn't seem smart to me.