• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commission after NROTC

torpedo0126

Wow, I never knew any of that. I always assumed the NROTC types said Reactors instead of Subs/SWO(N)... I had no clue. What is the service time for that? We have nothing comparable to that at the Academy that I know of...

I believe the service time is 5 years...I will post some more info about it this weekend. I am on leave and meeting up with a friend who is commissioning into reactors.

To give an example of the screening process for reactors...this guy is absolutely brilliant either a 3.8 or 3.9 GPA engineer at a top ten university (according to US News). Battalion Commander, high evals, all that stuff. Reactors people initially called back and said no because his engineering discipline was manufacturing. His LT called back and convinced them to give him an interview...he selected after that.

He's actually planning on borrowing Service Dress Whites for commissioning because they told him there is no point to owning any uniforms except maybe Blues for possible formal functions.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I believe the service time is 5 years...I will post some more info about it this weekend. I am on leave and meeting up with a friend who is commissioning into reactors.

To give an example of the screening process for reactors...this guy is absolutely brilliant either a 3.8 or 3.9 GPA engineer at a top ten university (according to US News). Battalion Commander, high evals, all that stuff. Reactors people initially called back and said no because his engineering discipline was manufacturing. His LT called back and convinced them to give him an interview...he selected after that.

He's actually planning on borrowing Service Dress Whites for commissioning because they told him there is no point to owning any uniforms except maybe Blues for possible formal functions.

So they do actually commission and are actually in the Navy post graduation? Do they just work at civilian nuke plants or what the heck do these guys do?

torpedo0126

So they do actually commission and are actually in the Navy post graduation? Do they just work at civilian nuke plants or what the heck do these guys do?

To answer your 1st question...

They will never go to sea and work with other military and civilians. I don't believe they get the nuke pay incentives, but don't quote me on that.

Basically they are engineers working on designing and implementing reactors and their various subsystems. You actually find out the division you will be working in before you commission.

Its pretty antithetical because ideally you've been training on developing the skills needed to be an unrestricted line officer...