• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

commercial pilot shortage coming?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Sounds as if contract work, e.g. DynCorp or Presidential, would be okay, just not full-on expat stuff.
I would suspect so. I have a friend who flew for a Suadi prince, month on and month off. Kept his residence in the US and had no problems getting hired.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
You have a comment about your link, or are we supposed to do it for you?

It's not even relevant to the thread topic.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Autopilot use linked to stick monkey skill atrophy. (As Squorch likes to say, "Film at 11.")

MightyMax56

Plopter Pilot
pilot
At the bottom of the article "
Airline training programs are focused on training pilots to fly with the automation, rather than without it. Senior pilots, even if their manual flying skills are rusty, can at least draw on experience flying older generations of less automated planes.
Adding to concerns about an overreliance on automation is an expected pilot shortage in the U.S. and many other countries.
U.S. airlines used to be able to draw on a pool of former military pilots with extensive manual flying experience. But more pilots now choose to stay in the armed forces, and corporate aviation competes for pilots with airlines, where salaries have dropped.
Changing training programs to include more manual flying won't be enough because pilots spend only a few days a year in training, Voss said. Airlines will have to rethink their operations fundamentally if they're going to give pilots realistic opportunities to keep their flying skills honed, he said."

- Im assuming that this is only good news

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Lucky for me, I fly a fly by cable (not wire), 50 year old airframe. Can you say marketable?!

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
Lucky for me, I fly a fly by cable (not wire), 50 year old airframe. Can you say marketable?!

You forgot to mention the autopilot on that fly by cable airframe that hasn't worked since the end of vietnam. -you're welcome from the AE shop.

MasterBates

Yep. No shock there. Get shit pay, and get either shitty pilots or people who are using it to build hours to jump to majors. (there are exceptions).

Never mind maintaining standard of living, I could pay my mortgage and maybe my utilities on regional pay, and my house is small/cheap for the area. Food and gas and a car would have to come from a side job.

MightyMax56

Plopter Pilot
pilot
Do you think the FAA is going to have to make a minimum wage policy or is it just going to be a trail and error of having more crashes and looking like an ass to see the obvious signs of the problem?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
They'll never put in a minimum wage policy. Minimum wages won't do any more to improve aviation than they have improved counter service at McD's.

They could conceivably increase hours minimums and such. That might actually make sense. Of course the airlines would still cry poverty over even that. Didn't they change the ATP license requirement at the regionals following the Colgan crash? Could one of the commercial guys help me out on that one?

yak52driver

Contributor
They'll never put in a minimum wage policy. Minimum wages won't do any more to improve aviation than they have improved counter service at McD's.

They could conceivably increase hours minimums and such. That might actually make sense. Of course the airlines would still cry poverty over even that. Didn't they change the ATP license requirement at the regionals following the Colgan crash? Could one of the commercial guys help me out on that one?

There was talk from the FAA that right seaters on regionals would soon need an ATP to sit in the seat, but I don't know if it has passed yet. Lots of push back from the regional carriers because they can hire someone with little real experience for $15/hr. One airline I read about actually charged right seaters about 20K for the "education" and experience they were getting rather than pay them, and people were paying it! In my opnion that is very F'd up.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

How do you look at "quality" hours though? 2000 hours of VFR instruction in a 172 isn't really much better than 1500. I'd rather have the guy with 800 who has 1/2 of that in actual IMC, or aerobatics, or anything else other than straight and level flight. How do you quantify the value of someone's experience? I think there has to be a way to do that.

I guess there is the idea that the 2000 hour guy has seen more than the 800 hour guy- but have they really?

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
How do you look at "quality" hours though? 2000 hours of VFR instruction in a 172 isn't really much better than 1500. I'd rather have the guy with 800 who has 1/2 of that in actual IMC, or aerobatics, or anything else other than straight and level flight. How do you quantify the value of someone's experience? I think there has to be a way to do that.

I guess there is the idea that the 2000 hour guy has seen more than the 800 hour guy- but have they really?

You're talking about numbers that are pumped out by insurance agencies. Who knows what kind of formula they're using but there is more than likely a threshold that trends have shown is an acceptable risk for airlines. There is also more than likely a similar threshold in Naval Aviation as well.