• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

commercial pilot shortage coming?

MasterBates

That 1000 FW PIC is not waiverable I take it.

I know it is what it is, but it does irk me that LT X's time in a Hornet counting from day 1 of the RAG, and mine not counting for shit until 3+ years into my time flying E-2s still pissed me off.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
That 1000 FW PIC is not waiverable I take it.

I know it is what it is, but it does irk me that LT X's time in a Hornet counting from day 1 of the RAG, and mine not counting for shit until 3+ years into my time flying E-2s still pissed me off.
It's this reason that a lot of guys like myself would rather not go back to the helo community, although it was awesome and I loved the people. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of decent paying flying jobs out there for guys with 2000+ rotary wing hours.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/story/2011/06/Demand-for-airline-pilots-set-to-soar/48661596/1

I'm sure many of you saw this article on the cover of McNews (eh hem, USA Today) yesterday. Not sure if its just a large print ad for ERAU or if there is any validity to it. Somehow I doubt there is ever going to be more jobs than pilots looking for them.?.

Comm Air guys - thoughts?
It is true there are a lot of retirements coming up. There are also guys still on furlough, plus the regional guys that may have numbers at the main line. They all get first shot at many of those jobs. Then there is the fact that the industry is simply a lot smaller then it once was and the US is a mature market with little new growth expected. Most jobs will come from retirements and those are completely predictable and easily planned for. The explosive growth will come from overseas, and the vast majority of that foreign carriers. Even the big main lines like Delta and AA do a relatively small percentage of their flying international, so growth in pilot numbers to cover increases in international flying will be correspondingly small. The real opportunities are in flying as an ex pat in developing markets and third world nations. Even now, my brother in law, USAIR retired, has had no shortage of overseas job offers. He is just coming off nearly two years flying for an Afghan airline and is now on his way to Bangladesh. Those kinds of jobs can be real sweet. Think Emirates, Cathay, ANA. Many are not. But they all likely require living an overseas ex pat lifestyle, schooling children in a foreign country, limit spuse employment opportunites, and little or no chance of spending 20 years and retiring from the same carrier. Many do not allow commuting. If you can, you are looking at hellish commutes and absences of two weeks or more at a time. You fly on a one or two year contract with no guarantee of renewal. Work rules can be very different than at a US carrier and not likely better. So yes, there is a coming explosion of pilot jobs. But most are for foreign carriers that require a major change in lifestyle and limited long term security.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It is true there are a lot of retirements coming up. There are also guys still on furlough, plus the regional guys that may have numbers at the main line. They all get first shot at many of those jobs. Then there is the fact that the industry is simply a lot smaller then it once was and the US is a mature market with little new growth expected. Most jobs will come from retirements and those are completely predictable and easily planned for. The explosive growth will come from overseas, and the vast majority of that foreign carriers. Even the big main lines like Delta and AA do a relatively small percentage of their flying international, so growth in pilot numbers to cover increases in international flying will be correspondingly small. The real opportunities are in flying as an ex pat in developing markets and third world nations. Even now, my brother in law, USAIR retired, has had no shortage of overseas job offers. He is just coming off nearly two years flying for an Afghan airline and is now on his way to Bangladesh. Those kinds of jobs can be real sweet. Think Emirates, Cathay, ANA. Many are not. But they all likely require living an overseas ex pat lifestyle, schooling children in a foreign country, limit spuse employment opportunites, and little or no chance of spending 20 years and retiring from the same carrier. Many do not allow commuting. If you can, you are looking at hellish commutes and absences of two weeks or more at a time. You fly on a one or two year contract with no guarantee of renewal. Work rules can be very different than at a US carrier and not likely better. So yes, there is a coming explosion of pilot jobs. But most are for foreign carriers that require a major change in lifestyle and limited long term security.

Feasible to get on with one of these, building time and applying to a US major?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Schoolbubba- Be glad to have ya (Nothing wrong with a Navy mafia running this place, be better than the current ex Air Force knucklheads in charge now;))

Phrogdriver- The short answer (IMHO), very feasible! It's all a numbers game. And that number is three letters ---> PIC. [one small caution, FEDEX has the US mail contract and a requirement is to reside in the US for the last 5 years]

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
[one small caution, FEDEX has the US mail contract and a requirement is to reside in the US for the last 5 years]
Really? A guy can be a US citizen, even a secret clearance, but that isn't good enough? I don't remember that being a requirement on my app, and at that time my airline was the biggest carrier of US mail.

MasterBates

I saw it on the FED EX App.. Scratched my head, and have been warned about it for looking at expat/contractor jobs.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Really? A guy can be a US citizen, even a secret clearance, but that isn't good enough? I don't remember that being a requirement on my app, and at that time my airline was the biggest carrier of US mail.
Yep! Not FEDEX's rule but the USPS. I know PAX carry mail too so not sure what makes us 'special'?

Note: Military orders oversees still count as residing in the US but anything EXPAT does not.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
That seems crazy. I can see a citizenship requirement to carry mail, maybe, but to say one can't live abroad? What is the pilot going to do with some mail pallets in the cargo bay, anyways?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I went to the website to make sure I wasn't talking out of my ass and I was not accurate (I do think it said 5 years when I applied) but here is what it actually says:

Candidates for jobs involving handling or access to U.S. mail cannot be considered for employment if they have resided outside the U.S., Guam or Puerto Rico for more than (6) six months during the last (5) years prior to today's date, other than the following verifiable exceptions: active duty in the U.S. Uniformed Service; trailing spouse or dependent of someone working for the U.S. government (military or civilian); missionary; student attending school in a foreign country; Peace Corps participant; employee of a U.S. based employer/company or other extraordinary circumstances.

Sorry for the misinformation!

You want to talk about USPS inefficiency. At the outstations, they have a Postal worker that watches the sort, sits in a van and watches the load, and then the departure from the gate. Doesn't do a single thing! Just watches in a heated/air conditioned vehicle. I was late out of the blocks once last month cause one of those fuckers lost a load slip. In MEM, there are a bunch of them all over. Sure they do just as much!

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Sounds as if contract work, e.g. DynCorp or Presidential, would be okay, just not full-on expat stuff.