• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College Degree and School

dag27

Thank you all for the replies. I haven't made up my mind yet but will take all the advice into consideration.

Also, are there any folks on here who have gone through or are going through TPS that can offer any insight as to what its like?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Go watch "The Right Stuff". It is the opposite of that plus some math and a lot of how to write test plans and technical reports (very useful skills in the outside world). And just because it doesn't match the common perception of it doesn't mean it isn't a good school. The only downside to it is that fitting it into your career track can be tricky, so as always timing (and thus luck) will be a critical factor. I've heard guys aren't getting IA's during their test tours anymore, so if true that is a good thing as well.

dag27

Go watch "The Right Stuff". It is the opposite of that plus some math and a lot of how to write test plans and technical reports (very useful skills in the outside world). And just because it doesn't match the common perception of it doesn't mean it isn't a good school. The only downside to it is that fitting it into your career track can be tricky, so as always timing (and thus luck) will be a critical factor. I've heard guys aren't getting IA's during their test tours anymore, so if true that is a good thing as well.

The Right Stuff is a great movie! What do you mean by IA's?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Thank you all for the replies. I haven't made up my mind yet but will take all the advice into consideration.

Also, are there any folks on here who have gone through or are going through TPS that can offer any insight as to what its like?

Don't worry about that right now. If you do end up flying, nailing the timing on orders, getting selected, etc, that is still about a decade away for you (+/- a year or two depending on what you end up flying). Any insight beyond what is readily available in published books and magazines is going to be out of date by the time it would matter to you. I know a couple guys who have been there, and they generally enjoyed it but said it was hard work. Haven't picked their brains much beyond that, but their sentiments didn't surprise me.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Didn't do TPS myself, but fly at Pax for a VX squadron with a bunch of guys who did. Shitload of work...you're basically cramming a doctorate program. And it's not "The Right Stuff" anymore, if it ever was. Think less Chuck Yeager and more like the guys who test new cars for the big automakers.

Anyway, that gator's a long way from your canoe.

HalfBreed

None
Do most of the guys that get selected for TPS only do one squadron tour beforehand? Or do they build up some experience and do some non-flying duties before going?
There is quite a range of experience for those who get selected for TPS. Everyone has finished their first operational squadron tour. After that some get picked up immediately from their squadron, others do a few shore tours and get picked up as an O-4. This is Navy only, I'm not sure about the USMC, USA, USAF, or USCG though all are either an O-3, O-4, or CWO (USA only).

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
For the Navy, only 1510's can go as O-4's (though they have to complete by their CDR board); 1310's have to be able to make their DH tour which narrows their window to around midway through their first shore duty depending on their timing.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
Exactly. If I medical out or something, I was hoping to fall back on being an engineer. Anything to stay out of the cubicle!

Do you know how I know, you have not a clue about engineering? I was an engineer in my previous life and currently stay in touch with a few of my engineering buds.