• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College completion options leading to flight school

FLY_USMC

pilot
Let's be honest, we all got our random degrees just so we could party during college and fly when we got out. Why go through 4 years of Aero Engineering arse pain when you can go to NPS for a year after getting selected to TPS, and leave with a masters in Aero Eng and become a test pilot?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let's be honest, we all got our random degrees just so we could party during college and fly when we got out. Why go through 4 years of Aero Engineering arse pain when you can go to NPS for a year after getting selected to TPS, and leave with a masters in Aero Eng and become a test pilot?

True dat!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
When people say that a degree is "worthless," what exactly do you mean by that? Every degree has worth because you are expanding your mind through education. The value of that is incredibly important and significant.

As far as which degree is going to earn you employment: Having spent the past two years in the private sector, I can tell you that there is a lot of myth there. The vast majority of people do not work in the same field as their degree. For example, my friend's father has a MS in Engineering, and he's the editor at a local paper. I have a Bachelor's degree in Biology, and I'm working in a customer service department. I also teach at a test prep company, and passed up the opportunity to become a lower-level manager because they know I'm applying for OCS (and wrote me a damn good LOR). Additionally, many jobs will list that a college degree is required, but they don't care which one.

Typically, companies will hire a college graduate at an entry-level position making around $30,000- $40,000 per year. It does not matter what you majored in, this is by and large the starting salary for a 22 year old college graduate. All that shit that you were fed when you were young that you're going to go to college, get out, and suddenly hit the motherload was a lie. Many companies also promote from within for lower level management, which is as about as far as you'll get with a bachelors unless you start your own business. You need a graduate degree to qualify for the positions that pay the big bucks at the corporations. But with that knowledge, why not be your own boss and start your own company?

Really, unless you have a specific profession in mind (ie doctor, lawyer, teacher, graphics designer), then your major is relatively unimportant. Even if you do have a profession in mind, most professions require a graduate degree, and most graduate programs will take a wide variety of degrees so long as you took the pre-requisite core classes. This is something you should talk about with your college academic advisor so that you get the specifics.

In short, employers want to know that you can do your job, and that you will be reliable. That is why they interview you. Personally, I think that the fact that most companies will only hire college graduates to do relatively simple jobs is a huge sham. However, as I said before, expanding your horizons through education is never a bad thing.

I guess that's a really long way of saying: major in whatever you enjoy studying, just be sure to cover any core classes for prospective future graduate programs.

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
Somewhere someone automatically started incorporating an Aero Science degree with the money hungry whore that is Embry Riddle. There are other schools out there that are much more affordable and don't suck you dry...
QUOTE]

The point is that if you want to fly for a living there may come a time in your life when you are unable to do so. People get sick or hurt, or they get furloughed/fired from their airlines.

So, rather than working at your local McDonalds because you have an aero sci degree, why don't you give yourself a plan B and get a business degree. This seems a lot smarter than assuming you're going to be perfectly healthy your entire working life. Shit happens, so plan for it.

Believe me, I used to be an aero sci major. It was a blast, but you can't do anything with it BUT fly. It was also really expensive, and I didn't even go to ERAU.

Either way, I think it's a much more prudent move to give yourself the ability to do somthing (at a professional level) other than fly if somthing happened to you.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
So, rather than working at your local McDonalds because you have an aero sci degree, why don't you give yourself a plan B and get a business degree.
Read above: a business degree is not going to get you any higher pay or open up any more opportunities than an Aero Engineering degree.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Is Aero Science just learning to fly, taking a few extra classes and calling it a degree? I'm reading this and in my head I'm equating it with aero engineering. So what is Aero Science as you know it?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Sorry, it's now edited. Could have been basket weaving, though, because the point is still the same: If you have a career goal that requires a specific degree, then get that specific degree (which is most often a graduate degree). For undergrad, just go for what you like and cover your core classes for any future prospective graduate degree.

Cobra Commander

pilot
Is Aero Science just learning to fly, taking a few extra classes and calling it a degree? I'm reading this and in my head I'm equating it with aero engineering. So what is Aero Science as you know it?

I'm talking about where you learn to fly and they throw in a couple of classes. They ususally have classes at the end where you do CRJ ops and get sim time(airline bridge).

Aero engineering is hardcore edumucation. You can get a sweet job with a degree in that.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
OK. I don't think I agree with you, but I don't want to punch you in the mouth now.

FLY_USMC

pilot
I have a Business minor, happy?

Experience gets you jobs, paying $10000 for some bullshiat CRJ Ops class does not.

Do not argue with me, I know everything.

:tongue2_1

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Here is a link for the ERAU Aero Sci program:
http://www.erau.edu/db/degrees/b-aerosci.html

They basically take this material and expand it into a 4-year program. I was wondering why everyone kept comparing Aero Sci to Aero Eng, definitely not comparable. I have only bought one book in the last 3 semesters and I have gotten two 4.0's. It isn't a difficult major and shouldn't last four years.

Cobra Commander

pilot
I have a Business minor, happy?

Experience gets you jobs, paying $10000 for some bullshiat CRJ Ops class does not.

Do not argue with me, I know everything.

:tongue2_1

1) Yes. Other people should have to suffer through boring business classes not just me.

2) Completely agree

3) Yes sir. Back to my corner. :D

FlyBoy819

I wanna go Fast!
Somewhere someone automatically started incorporating an Aero Science degree with the money hungry whore that is Embry Riddle. There are other schools out there that are much more affordable and don't suck you dry.

I’m attending Henderson State University, majoring in Aviation. It is probably a lot cheaper than Embry Riddle. Tuition is around $2,500-$3,000 a semester, but that doesn’t include flight time which is about $130 an hour with an instructor.

In, I believe it is this months, AOPA’s Flight Training magazine there is an section that list all of the colleges in America that offer degrees in Aviation.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I was an aero sci major so if you have more specific questions, feel free to pm me.

Here is my .02cents. As said before, get a degree in something that you want to do. Aviation has been a part of my life since the day I was born so when it came down to picking a major, I couldn't think of anything else. It is a risk due to being a one sided major, but most know this and make plans to get masters in different fields. I had a couple of friends from erau who got degrees in aero sci, didn't continue to the airlines, got working on their masters and now have jobs lined up in non-aviation fields (and are making a sh!tload more than their friends in the regionals...)

Did it help having a aero sci major in flight school? Hell yeah. Did it make the difference in me getting jet grades? Hell no.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If you don't end up flying or working for the FAA/NTSB, an aero sci degree is going to get you flipping burgers. And if you don't study a whole lot of aviation safety or airport management or something, you will be hard pressed to find a good job at the FAA/NTSB.