• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College completion options leading to flight school

FLY_USMC

pilot
If you don't end up flying or working for the FAA/NTSB, an aero sci degree is going to get you flipping burgers. And if you don't study a whole lot of aviation safety or airport management or something, you will be hard pressed to find a good job at the FAA/NTSB.
I've decided I'm not going to respond anymore since I just learned that since I'm not going to get my lifelong dream job with the FAA/NTSB...........btw WTF are you talking about.......it's not worth living anymore. Get a degree, nobody cares what it is, if you can afford to fly, do it, it helps.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I've decided I'm not going to respond anymore since I just learned that since I'm not going to get my lifelong dream job with the FAA/NTSB...........btw WTF are you talking about.......it's not worth living anymore. Get a degree, nobody cares what it is, if you can afford to fly, do it, it helps.

I was speaking outside the realm of Naval Aviation. Obviously with a history in Naval Aviation, there are plenty of opportunities for us on the outside (even you NFOs):icon_tong.

If you want to study aero sci, go for it. If you want a degree to get you a commission and a pilot contrat, it may not be the best choice for you. I know a friend with an aero sci degree who didn't want to fly and ended up going to law school because he could literally do nothing else with it.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I have a friend of a friend with a business degree who is selling crack to kids.....must be that ALL people with that degree have to sell crack to kids.

But I must say, if you get a degree in flying, then decide you don't want to fly, maybe you should have thought a little harder about it BEFORE you got it.

But I actually do have a friend who has an aero degree and is making buku bucks for Boeing...so maybe said friend above needs to stop sucking....
I'm just saying !!!! :)

Top_Gun_101

Fly GA
i wore an Officer Combination hat at the NEX the other day & i felt :icon_love......

did someone around here went thru STA-21 and became a pilot ???

Ufoz8mycow

Awesome.
I dont think anyone mentioned it yet but you also have your age issue to worry about. Isnt 27 the cut off age limit for people wanting to go to flight school?? So if something happens and you dont finish that degree in the window you left yourself you might end up getting screwed. Hard.

getmeinaf18

Online Degree for PLC

I am looking into getting a degree at the University of Phoenix for Marine Corps PLC eligibility.

My USMC OSO told me that if I wanted to do that, that I would have to complete at least 40% of the courses on-campus. It was the first I heard of that, so I checked into it and can't find anything about it.

Also, I asked University of Phoenix addmissions about combining online and campus courses to complete a degree, and they said I couldn't do that. They said I have to pick either an online program or an on-campus program for all of my classes.

Any input?

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Sounds accurate for PLC. Ask your OSO if there are any on-campus requirements for OCC (I doubt there are).

Of course, if you can afford it, going to a no-shit college can only help you out in terms of getting selected and competing with your peers. A lot of the dudes you'll meet in flight school will have gone to top/middle shelf schools and have engineering degrees, etc.

~Night school/Online Sociology Major