• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cold War revisited

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I imagine that the historical significance would not have been lost on the Marine aviator.

Yikes. I assume Russia eventually got them repaired and extracted.

Any other good Russia-in-the-Arctic stories from the Cold War?
I know a Marine hornet guy that had to divert to Midway. They went as a section of F-18D’s and he said other than all the birds there were a few female biologists there to study the birds and they had an impromptu party.

My story isn’t a divert, as we were intended to land there, but we spent about a week on Wake Island on our way to Japan in December 2011 because of a problem with the island’s fuel. December 8th (across the dateline from Hawaii) was the 70th anniversary of the first Japanese attack on the island and we spent it snorkeling in the shallow lagoon over the wreck of a Japanese bomber.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Indeed. But in 1958? Maybe Avro Shackleton?
That is a RCAF Lancaster 10AR. The fuselage was extended and additional gear was added for area recon. Along with the US they took part in “ferret operations” to snoop out the capabilities of Soviet radar. The USN used old PBY4 Privateers and the USAF used old B-29’s and newer aircraft. About 200 men died on those mission as the Soviets shot down.

You can read a bit about it here.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know a Marine hornet guy that had to divert to Midway. They went as a section of F-18D’s and he said other than all the birds there were a few female biologists there to study the birds and they had an impromptu party.

My story isn’t a divert, as we were intended to land there, but we spent about a week on Wake Island on our way to Japan in December 2011 because of a problem with the island’s fuel. December 8th (across the dateline from Hawaii) was the 70th anniversary of the first Japanese attack on the island and we spent it snorkeling in the shallow lagoon over the wreck of a Japanese bomber.

We had a crew divert to Midway when they lost an engine on the way to Wake from Hawaii. They called the airfield and on approach and landing had at least half a dozen bird strikes, then they ran over a one or two as they taxied to park. They come to find out later that when they called the field before they landed a couple of guys hopped into a pickup truck then drove down the whole length of the field to throw gooney birds into the back of the pickup to get them out of the way.

The plane up being stuck there for 3 weeks, most of the crew left after a week but the flight crew was stuck for another 2 because of the complicated logistics of getting a replacement engine to the island (via a USCG C-130) and the fact that the first replacement engine didn't work.

We stopped at Wake several times but they were usually short, just an hour. But I was on a NALO one time and the XO of the VR squadron was one the pilots and he wanted to swim at Wake, so we stopped for ~6 hours so we could all go swimming. Two vivid memories from that stop were the beer vending machine that I showed off to my fellow squadron mates who flew in right behind us and couldn't drink while I partook and one of the maintainers who took off her pants to go swimming in her thong, I departed quickly at that point.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

When I worked for the American Battlefield Protection Program I worked mighty hard to convince my boss we needed to do an evaluation of Wake Island to define the battle. He never went for it...was always stuck on the Civil War. We did do Saipan and Guam.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
When I worked for the American Battlefield Protection Program I worked mighty hard to convince my boss we needed to do an evaluation of Wake Island to define the battle. He never went for it...was always stuck on the Civil War. We did do Saipan and Guam.
Wake is really cool to explore. Tons of evidence of the battle, ruins of the Pan Am clipper base, etc. Got stuck there on the way to Japan and on the way back so probably a little over two weeks there total. There were a shitload of rats the first time, so many that it was more remarkable to say where you didn’t see a rat than where you did. No rats the second time, just poison everywhere that they had scattered from the air. I haven’t been back since but I hear the rats are still there.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I got bored, and I see there are some burn marks visible on the runway on Wake that look like the very distinctive hot nozzles of a harrier. Our maintenance officer needed to do a high power and without an actual high power ramp, the runway can do in a pinch. The AF wasn’t pleased about the runway. Remember that @STOVLer?