• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard pilot involved in crash to be charged with homicide

sardaddy

pilot
I disagree. Mainly because I'm a rotorhead, not a tacair guy. Those altitudes are not unusual for RW, and the 3710.7U says "shall" fly at 3000 ft, conditions permitting. But it also says "wildfowl". I may be sea lawyering here, but try flying on the east coast and avoid the Wildlife Refuges (or fly at 3000 ft)... It can be hard, especially considering some of our ranges are knee-deep in a wildlife refuge. There are no "Wildfowl" refuges on the chart.

What if they were doing a rescue? Are we to believe that they need to maintain a 3000 ft hover? Shit, the instruction doesn't say crap about that.

I really think this is a dick measuring contest more than anything else.
The CG 3710 specifically addresses what you are talking about and says the following:

Environmentally sensitive areas will be properly annotated on pilot’s charts as required.When it is necessary to fly over such areas, an altitude of 2000 feet AGL shall be maintained except during emergency operations (e.g., emergency SAR, law enforcement, spill response, or during those portions of non-emergency missions requiring surveillance and identification (reconnaissance) of vessels). The amount of time spent at low altitudes should be limited to what is necessary to accomplish the particular emergency or reconnaissance operation. Routine training in and transits through critical habitat and high use areas shall not be conducted below an altitude of 2000 feet.
Oh, and we can't hunt from the aircraft either.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Wouldn't the HACs signature on the A-sheet imply taking responsibility for everything that happened on that aircraft?

To echo what others have said: not necessarily. Aircraft Commander is a leadership role, and that often time includes a lot of delegation. So (devil's advocate alone: NO implications about this case), if you delegate navigation/chart prep to your copilot, and his job is less than par... you are responsible for the whole flight, but if you miss a mistake like that (and... you end up dead) and your at-fault crewmember is still living... I'm sure heads will roll.

Hopefully they find out the facts and vindicate/punish as appropriate.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
To echo what others have said: not necessarily. Aircraft Commander is a leadership role, and that often time includes a lot of delegation.

3710 used to state that the duties of the HAC are:
1. Completion of the mission
2. Safety of the aircraft & crew
3. Train the crew.

If you sign for the aircraft, then your responsible for the conduct of the flight, to include the actions of the crew. If you delegate and they fu(k it away, you're still held accountable. Others may standing next to you while you do the carpet shuffle in front of the old man, but if you sign for the bird the you are ultimately responsible for what happens during the flight.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
So if you delegate navigation/chart prep to your copilot, and his job is less than par... you are responsible for the whole flight, but if you miss a mistake like that (and... you end up dead) and your at-fault crewmember is still living... I'm sure heads will roll.

and what if you don't die - what if you (the hac) survive? the aircraft commander is accountable. i reject the idea that there is transference of accountability based on survivorship. the aircraft commander is accountable.

phrogpilot73

and what if you don't die - what if you (the hac) survive? the aircraft commander is accountable. i reject the idea that there is transference of accountability based on survivorship. the aircraft commander is accountable.
Welcome to the new generation of the Navy.

"Yeah, I signed for the plane but it's not my fault, I told him to nav!"

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
3. Train the crew.

If you sign for the aircraft, then your responsible for the conduct of the flight, to include the actions of the crew. If you delegate and they fu(k it away, you're still held accountable. Others may standing next to you while you do the carpet shuffle in front of the old man, but if you sign for the bird the you are ultimately responsible for what happens during the flight.

So... everything is your fault up to and including dereliction of duty of a crewmember for legitimately NOT doing their job, at the risk of being called malicious?

phrogpilot73

So... everything is your fault up to and including dereliction of duty of a crewmember for legitimately NOT doing their job, at the risk of being called malicious?
You were the one that said it was merely a leadership position... That's the burden of command...

Dereliction of duty of the OOD who runs a ship aground? Ship's CO is relieved.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
3. Train the crew.

This is what I was getting at.

Brunes

pilot
You were the one that said it was merely a leadership position... That's the burden of command...

And if it's a malicious/gross negligence situation- The OOD is punished too. Maybe not as severely-but that depends on how they got into the situation.

Is that was happened here-No idea. But at some point there is a personal responsibility as well as the "I signed the line" responsibility.

You can't tell me you believe the President is responsible for this as CinC....but he is "ultimately" responsible for all armed forces actions.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

So why is the HAC at fault? Just relieve the squadron CO...