• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard pilot involved in crash to be charged with homicide

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Not knowing anything about the incident, all I can say is that I hope justice prevails.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only survivor, the copilot, is being charged for a mishap? I know nothing of the incident either but it certainly gives me great pause at first glance, I hope it isn't the start of a trend. Are there any publicly available details of the mishap yet?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Maybe it's justified, if he no-shit did something consciously negligent, e.g. crashed while flathatting, not just bad stick work. If it's a run-of-the-mill f-up or flight that ended badly, then it's BS.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Since all the other witnesses inside the aircraft are dead, I think taking the 5th would pretty much seal reasonable doubt.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Since all the other witnesses inside the aircraft are dead, I think taking the 5th would pretty much seal reasonable doubt.

Unless there is a cockpit voice recorder, which from understanding USCG helos have...

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
The only survivor, the copilot, is being charged for a mishap? I know nothing of the incident either but it certainly gives me great pause at first glance, I hope it isn't the start of a trend. Are there any publicly available details of the mishap yet?

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...rash_it_just_went_down_and_hit_the_water.html

The mishap occured last July, Flash; the crew was ferrying the helo to Sitka, flying VFR at the time of the accident when they hit wires. I've heard the wires were marked clearly on the chart.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There must be an extremely egregious element of this mishap to be pursuing this course.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
There must be an extremely egregious element of this mishap to be pursuing this course.

Concur.

We have no idea what really happened here. Either there is a great deal more to this that we are unaware of, or the justice system will figure that out in due course.

Nothing to freak out about at this point.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Wouldn't the HACs signature on the A-sheet imply taking responsibility for everything that happened on that aircraft?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Concur.

We have no idea what really happened here. Either there is a great deal more to this that we are unaware of, or the justice system will figure that out in due course.

Nothing to freak out about at this point.
Yeah, if they feel it's worth pursuing a Court Martial, then there must have been some info that the JAGMAN found out (seperate investigation from mishap).
Wouldn't the HACs signature on the A-sheet imply taking responsibility for everything that happened on that aircraft?
Signing the A-sheet doesn't relieve the rest of the crew of the military and CRM obligations.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
We have no idea as to the reason behind the charges. He could have had drugs or alcohol in his system for all we know.