• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard pilot involved in crash to be charged with homicide

MasterBates

I'll go with "I have a hunch they want to make an example of someone to combat the rising mishap rate" until proven otherwise.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just to be clear, the guy hasn't been charged with anything. It's just an Art. 32 hearing. This may end up being a bit of CYA for him as well as for the USCG. Going through this proceeding and finding no fault may insulate him from further legal action in the future. I can't get inside the mind of the prosecutorial staff, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Brett

Pags

N/A
pilot
Very strange. If the JAG is finished, and it has to be by now, I believe that a FOIA request should get it and I would think the gov't plan would be obvious from it.

Based on lots of other mishaps/JAG reports I've seen it would have to be pretty gross or this will blow up in their face.
For info purposes for new guys, there are two investigations that happen every time that someone prangs a bird. The investigation everyone thinks about is the Mishap Report, or SIR in the Navy. This investigation is completed by the Aviation Mishap Board and is used to determine causal factors to prevent reoccurence. At the same time a JAGMAN is conducted to determine to see if there was criminal intent or to determine line of duty status.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does the USCG operate under the same concept of privilege as a USN/USMC safety investigation? We had a few Coasties at ASO school, but I don't remember them discussing privilege.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
And why no negligent homicide charge for the pilot? Is he to blame for his own death? Clearly things are kept hush for a reason but I sure hope there is a reason for this mess and that its not just to screw this poor dude's life and career.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
And why no negligent homicide charge for the pilot? Is he to blame for his own death? Clearly things are kept hush for a reason but I sure hope there is a reason for this mess and that its not just to screw this poor dude's life and career.

One report I saw about a month ago said the pilot was not being charged because he died. If he was living, he'd be up on charges as well.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
One report I saw about a month ago said the pilot was not being charged because he died. If he was living, he'd be up on charges as well.

I figured that would have been the case. Just seems like nothing good can come of this, hope this guy makes it out OK.

sardaddy

pilot
Does the USCG operate under the same concept of privilege as a USN/USMC safety investigation? We had a few Coasties at ASO school, but I don't remember them discussing privilege.
Yes. Privilege is just like the other services. The ADMIN investigation is similar to what you guys are calling the JAGMAN but the actual mishap investigation allows privilege for the crew.

As far as this particular investigation goes, the Admiral who decided it needed to be investigated further is a Highly respected aviator and is not known for thowing people under the bus. There is a reason for going this far. We just don't know what it is. I have heard rumors of why it is going this far and I am intimately familiar with the mishap location which make the rumors extremely plausible but since they are rumors they won't be posted here. I will say that I personally don't think this is a case of making an example of someone.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
What does the JAGMAN investigation say? What are the opinions and recommendations?