• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard DCA

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Wow, I see a VT-6 IP on there that I didn't think I'd see. Not because he "shouldn't" be on there, just because I figured he'd move to his compound and make home-made diesel for the rest of his life.

MD2NZ

pilot
Sklee00-

When is your H-3 underpowered? I used to take off with 4500 lbs of gas, three flight docks, and a full crew... and that was after we all pounded muffalattas in Hammond, and nobody had taken a dump yet.

If you want to talk about underpowered, ask me about the Dolphin. Great helo, but it can barley lift itself vertically from a hover.

Exactly brother Lee, I've taken off with 4500 LBS of gas, three flight docs, and a full crew....and that was on a hot azz day after grubbing on lunch in Monroe, AL.

MD2NZ

pilot
Hc-144

Should a FW DCA commissioned in 2009 expect to be assigned Falcons/Hercs? It appears the Sea Sentry is still undergoing OTE, and won't be fully operational this year.

Any gouge/rumors out there?

On another note, how is USCG manning in the TRACOM right now? VT's hurting for USCG IPs?

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
Should a FW DCA commissioned in 2009 expect to be assigned Falcons or Hercs? It appears the Sea Sentry is still undergoing OTE, and won't be fully operational this year.

Any gouge/rumors out there?

On another note, how is USCG manning in the TRACOM right now? VT's hurting for USCG IPs?

Ocean Sentry will be operational next month in Mobile, and the SAR division there will be fully transitioned by the fall. Soon after will be Miami.

Long story on OTE is you want to call it that.

Commissioned in 2009 will probably be slated for Falcon's unless your really push for the Ocean Sentry out of Mobile. I know our division is working double time to qualify fixed wing pilots and stock up the units.

Not sure how we are looking for TRACOM, but if it's anywhere near the rest of the fleet, there is a demand.

Hope that helps.

MD2NZ

pilot
Ocean Sentry will be operational next month in Mobile, and the SAR division there will be fully transitioned by the fall. Soon after will be Miami.

Long story on OTE is you want to call it that.

Commissioned in 2009 will probably be slated for Falcon's unless your really push for the Ocean Sentry out of Mobile. I know our division is working double time to qualify fixed wing pilots and stock up the units.

Not sure how we are looking for TRACOM, but if it's anywhere near the rest of the fleet, there is a demand.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Coastie.

That paints the picture I was looking for. Had the impression they were transitioning folks from Falcons to Ocean Sentry vice hiring for those slots from the street (DCA). Just wanted to confirm.

I'll take what I can get, and don't want to be too picky. Wouldn't mind putting some of my 4 engine Lockheed knowledge to work on H model Hercs though. Still remember what an anticipator potentiometer does (and tons of other minutia that came with being a VP dude).

"I know our division is working double time to qualify fixed wing pilots and stock up the units."

Have you flown it yet? What are people saying about it so far?

-MD2NZ

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
Have you flown it yet? What are people saying about it so far?

-MD2NZ

I have not flown it yet but know lots of people who have. Seems like the general consensus is that it is nice to fly in a glass cockpit. The major drawback that most ex Falcon flyers have is that it takes a much LOOOONGER to get places. That will definitely take some getting used to.

Guard130Pilot

DCA Interview

Does anyone know what kind of questions will be asked during the DCA interview? Also where are the boards usually held?

Thanks

busdriver

None
CG question, unless I missed it, this hasn't been addressed: If I complete my 10 year commitment with the AF, I'll have about 12 years of service. With the CG still consider a transfer at that point? I know they knock you down to O-3, but I heard if you didn't have at least 10 yrs remaining you weren't even looked at?

sardaddy

pilot
CG question, unless I missed it, this hasn't been addressed: If I complete my 10 year commitment with the AF, I'll have about 12 years of service. With the CG still consider a transfer at that point? I know they knock you down to O-3, but I heard if you didn't have at least 10 yrs remaining you weren't even looked at?

The requirement is ten years or less of prior service. If you have more, it will depend on the board. Sometimes they grant waivers and other times they don't. Also, If you are a commissioned officer the highest pay grade you will enter the Coast Guard is an an O-2.

maxlife

Navy to USCG

How do Navy helo pilots do the DCA when one of the requirements is to have less than 10 years of federal service? Two years of flight school plus 8 years service commitment would put the average guy over the 10-year mark. I am sure that it has been done just don't know if I am missing something. Thanks.