• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CNATRA Bids Farewell to Orange and White Paint Scheme

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Since it appears color on airplanes doesn't help people see your aircraft better then does this mean that the CAG birds can be painted in full color again without having to go to gray for deployment?
I remember from my younger days the US Bicentennial paint jobs on military aircraft. They were nice and I’d like to see it done for the Semiquincentennial (that’s 250th).

IMG_1551.jpeg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since it appears color on airplanes doesn't help people see your aircraft better then does this mean that the CAG birds can be painted in full color again without having to go to gray for deployment?
When in the past 15 years has that ever been a thing?

My crew flew a fully painted CAG jet over Afghanistan.

robav8r

None
Contributor
No flight suits in the NCR isn't new, and isn't from CNO. In fact, they just changed the NCR uniform policy to allow Type IIIs instead of khakis. I'd personally rather where khakis than guacamoles.

I've avoided the "building" or any job in DC, but I'm fairly certain flight suits in NCR have been restricted to personnel flying that day for at least 10 years.
When I worked for NORAD/NORTHCOM in the Washington Office, I wore a flight suit occasionally, other COCOM reps did as well. This was circa 2016-2018. Never wore the guacs, just khakis otherwise . . .

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Several designs, including our CONA paint scheme which bears a striking resemblance to the winning design submitted by 28. Picture below.

My understanding was that there would be a “CAG” design and maybe a smattering of other non orange and white schemes. The one thing I begged my leadership to pass up was to not do away with the high vis scheme.

Attachments

• IMG_0802.jpeg
    IMG_0802.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 65

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Paint them like Guy Harvey sport fish.

But seriously, why are we not applying sponsorship logos to raise money for ‘hook, NHA, single-room lodging, $50k/year bonuses, etc. We already know up aircraft are brought to you by Bang energy drink and Zyn; might as well get paid for it.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Paint them like Guy Harvey sport fish.

But seriously, why are we not applying sponsorship logos to raise money for ‘hook, NHA, single-room lodging, $50k/year bonuses, etc. We already know up aircraft are brought to you by Bang energy drink and Zyn; might as well get paid for it.
Close, so very close…

IMG_1552.jpeg

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
When I worked for NORAD/NORTHCOM in the Washington Office, I wore a flight suit occasionally, other COCOM reps did as well. This was circa 2016-2018. Never wore the guacs, just khakis otherwise . . .
Yeah, I've seen them, but every time I went from Pax to DC, I was sure the policy was no flight suits outside particular areas (flight lines, watch floors, etc.)

The new policy of guacs off base is a relaxation of the previous khakis+ off base.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

Was absolutely a thing while I was going on deployment as the squadron MO, in 2019.

I forget who made the royal decree. As I recall, it was COCOM or someone high up aggressively interpreting some COCOM instruction. Either way, we were told from on high that all our jets had to be grey for deployment. Everyone was pissed, because we had an awesome looking CAG bird.

We painted that bird even better after deployment. But it was grey for cruise, because of some higher ranking fun sponge.

Mouselovr

Contributor
0603017_1-1024x770.jpeg
As a current primary student, this design would have my vote. Maybe then I'll see the other planes... if I look up from the PFD.....

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe then I'll see the other planes... if I look up from the PFD.....
In the old T-39 days, I may or may not have shacked one of my TOTs at VT-86 on a poorly-defined South Carolina radar target in a phase where you "weren't supposed to navigate visually on that leg."

Motherfucker, in combat, one peek is worth a thousand scans, and I didn't get caught.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Between this and banning flight suits in the NCR, seems like new CNO and her leadership team are really getting after the important issues
The flight suit policy is a long standing one. Effectively no change since I served in the NCR 10 years ago.

Reactions: IKE

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Back stick, back stick, forward stick, forward stick, left rudder, right rudder, left rudder, right rudder, pickle switch, trigger, generator reset.
This is the "how to make your NFO throw up" cheat code.

On deployment now. Can't speak for @sevenhelmet's experience, but we do still have painted CAG birds (although we're not doing "combat flights").

That being said, the glory days of paint jobs like in our JO tour are gone in VAQ. CVWP has significantly clamped down on how much paint we can put on our 500s. Partially to be more in compliance with the NAMP, partially because a few years ago another VAQ squadron damaged a vertical stab trying to grind off all the paint they had put on the tail, and partially because a couple of squadrons started painting over things that weren't supposed to be painted.