• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CNATRA Bids Farewell to Orange and White Paint Scheme

Meyerkord

pilot
BLUF: T-6B aircraft will have a dark-blue WWII-era style paint job, and all the advanced trainers will have paint that matches their fleet aircraft. Changes will take place gradually as each current paint coat reaches the end of its life cycle.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Got to hook last Wednesday and learned this… all the competitors for the T-45 replacement were painted orange and white. Nobody knew yet.

Kinda surprised the USN went for it- usually morale-based solutions that cost real money get shot down.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The interesting thing is that this matters enough to someone to spend tons of money to change what is an established practice for a whim.

Orange and white has been the color scheme for decades. What are we not changing with this money that we should?

I really see this as a leadership failure. Any argument against that is, "But our training airplanes look cooler now!" as if that was the problem to recruiting or retention.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The AF implementation on the T-6 is pretty good looking I think.

I think it's not a bad idea - and I think the orange and white livery ability to ensure visibility and separation is likely overestimated. It's the little things that drive a shift in mindset and culture and it sounds like big navy air leadership is thinking that way. I will give it a thumbs up.

Img_2023_08_30_23_05_29.jpeg

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
The AF implementation on the T-6 is pretty good looking I think.

I think it's not a bad idea - and I think the orange and white livery ability to ensure visibility and separation is likely overestimated. It's the little things that drive a shift in mindset and culture and it sounds like big navy air leadership is thinking that way. I will give it a thumbs up.

View attachment 38678

Painting the planes a pretty color will do nothing whatsoever to retain talent.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Uhhh why? I don’t know about the rest of you but I think that high-vis paint job comes in handy when you’re trying to spot everyone at the OLF.
When I was flying sailplanes with Coastal Soaring Association the orange and white paint scheme was awesome when trying to clear my flight path. The chicken ranch is an in house thermal spot.

You know what would scare the crap out of me? Trying to deconflict with a haze grey airplane that has a paint scheme designed to blend in with the sky.

I suppose what you don't know you don't know, but why would we want airplanes in high density areas to not be high-vis?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Between this and banning flight suits in the NCR, seems like new CNO and her leadership team are really getting after the important issues
Somebody get me a cloud…my fist is shaking and I need to yell…as average “Joe Citizen” I hated seeing officers from the Five Sided War Hut on the Potomac walking around in flight suits and combat uniforms. It’s an office, not a cockpit or trench, so wear your big boy office clothes. As a National Guardsman I was off and on active duty and I remember the decision to “show the nation we are a military at war” and wear combat clothes to, well, everything. It just made the services look lazy. If you work at an air station or base then wear the relaxed stuff all the time but at a fixed headquarters…dress the part.

Rant over and I already accept that my opinion has little value. Please carry on with your discussion over paint colors.