• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

Ventus

Weather Guesser
pilot
Yup

Are there many/any helos that can fly in icing conditions?
Idk if any Marine pilots can speak more to this, but back when I deployed on Special MAGTF with a VMM squadron, I had to forecast for alternate flight paths to specifically avoid icing because at the time (2017-2018) there was an issue where if you attempted to use anti-ice....it would catch fire...

Mix of both. Usually on the CVN for transits and then shore basing when feasible.

Does anyone know how the logistics of this will work? I imagine before, you wouldn't need a det organic to the carrier for the C-2 because of parts commonality with the E-2 squadrons (ex. if you needed an engine swap). But now that they're switching airframes, doesn't that mean a whole lot of extra space allocated to spare parts/maintainers is needed aboard ship? Or will some squadrons just have to be cross trained?

Not sure how the COD squadrons worked in terms of moving all of their personnel/parts/equipment with the carrier or to their shore bases.

Additionally, a few of my flight deck buddies said something to the effect that when Ospreys land, it stops all other traffic in the lineup and that the Air Bosses want the Ospreys gone ASAP. Drop their stuff and leave because it's a big hassle to move, ie. wings cant fold and move under its own power like the E-2/C-2 can. Is there any truth to this?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know how the logistics of this will work? I imagine before, you wouldn't need a det organic to the carrier for the C-2 because of parts commonality with the E-2 squadrons (ex. if you needed an engine swap). But now that they're switching airframes, doesn't that mean a whole lot of extra space allocated to spare parts/maintainers is needed aboard ship? Or will some squadrons just have to be cross trained?

Not sure how the COD squadrons worked in terms of moving all of their personnel/parts/equipment with the carrier or to their shore bases.

Additionally, a few of my flight deck buddies said something to the effect that when Ospreys land, it stops all other traffic in the lineup and that the Air Bosses want the Ospreys gone ASAP. Drop their stuff and leave because it's a big hassle to move, ie. wings cant fold and move under its own power like the E-2/C-2 can. Is there any truth to this?

Not sure about the logistics side of things.

Over the course of our work ups and deployment, the deck got a lot better at managing the Osprey. Normal ops had the Osprey marshaling at the top of the stack (Case 1), commencing and landing last, unloading pax/cargo, reloading the offgoing pax/cargo, and then taking off before the next event’s launch.

There were some hiccups, mainly things like the Osprey breaking down in the LA and delaying the next launch and recovery, but generally things seemed to go pretty smoothly, and I imagine it will continue to get better as the community builds boat experience.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Not sure about the logistics side of things.

Over the course of our work ups and deployment, the deck got a lot better at managing the Osprey. Normal ops had the Osprey marshaling at the top of the stack (Case 1), commencing and landing last, unloading pax/cargo, reloading the offgoing pax/cargo, and then taking off before the next event’s launch.

There were some hiccups, mainly things like the Osprey breaking down in the LA and delaying the next launch and recovery, but generally things seemed to go pretty smoothly, and I imagine it will continue to get better as the community builds boat experience.
I think VRM took a lot of HSC folks so that they could retain that corporate knowledge of how to operate on the carrier deck while not being wanted there.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Sounds like great anti-ice to me

Except that’s not even close to what happens.

It doesn’t “catch fire.”

Worst case, it causes a burned blade, typically on the preflight test. By “burned,” I mean damaged skin, not ablaze. You may have to replace a blade, but that’s a far cry from “catching fire.”

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Idk if any Marine pilots can speak more to this, but back when I deployed on Special MAGTF with a VMM squadron, I had to forecast for alternate flight paths to specifically avoid icing because at the time (2017-2018) there was an issue where if you attempted to use anti-ice....it would catch fire...

I addressed the false statement about "catching fire" already. If the squadron MAINTAINS the IPS, it works fine. If you wait 6 months and then turn it on, then yes, problems ensue.

As for taxiing, the V-22 can taxi on an LHA/LHD, so it can certainly taxi on a CVN. It obviously can't fold while turning, so that does limit options for unloading cargo clear of the landing area, though they do have that special roll-off container to help.

Just heard N98 talk about the first deployment. He seems happy with it.

Ventus

Weather Guesser
pilot
So coincidentally, we were just visited by Commander of Naval Air Forces Atlantic and I was able to ask this question.

Specifically the part about how the CMV-22s would be organized and if new dets would need to be organic to the carrier, etc. Long story short, big Navy hasn't figured it out yet. They're experimenting with different configurations with what the fleet currently has, which isnt very many delivered aircraft to begin with. I believe his exact words were "The answer to your question will be forthcoming."

Last edited:

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So coincidentally, we were just visited by Commander of Naval Air Forces Atlantic and I was able to ask this question.

Specifically the part about how the CMV-22s would be organized and if new dets would need to be organic to the carrier, etc. Long story short, big Navy hasn't figured it out yet. They're experimenting with different configurations with what the fleet currently has, which isnt very many delivered aircraft to begin with. I believe his exact words were "The answer to your question will be forthcoming."
Haven’t figured out how they would be organized? There is already a squadron and a wing. I’m a little confused as to what the current discussion would entail. The only off-the-wall idea we considered was to have dets report to a numbered fleet rather than the CSG. The idea was that the fleet logistics staff could prioritize the use of the -22s for CVNs or amphibs or…

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
It’ll be interesting to see what happens when the Osprey breaks on the beach. I’ve never been involved with the C-2 so I can’t directly compare rates but in the AF Ospreys doesn’t have the greatest aircraft availability rates. Plus, from talking to some CV-22 mechs, they aren’t the easiest things to fix.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
It’ll be interesting to see what happens when the Osprey breaks on the beach. I’ve never been involved with the C-2 so I can’t directly compare rates but in the AF Ospreys doesn’t have the greatest aircraft availability rates. Plus, from talking to some CV-22 mechs, they aren’t the easiest things to fix.

I mean C-2s have been doing this for decades...? Beach Det followed the ship around the strategic logistics bases. What the PUK needs to be I imagine some 10lb brain folks have thought it up.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I mean C-2s have been doing this for decades...? Beach Det followed the ship around the strategic logistics bases. What the PUK needs to be I imagine some 10lb brain folks have thought it up.
My point is that rotary platforms tend to break more often and in much more unique ways than fixed wing platforms. They can also be much more of a pain in the ass to get into an up status. I don’t envy the dets trying to keep the plopters up.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Do these improvments get back-fitted to entire MV-22/CV-22/CMV-22 fleet?

Big deal, yes. Nacelle improvement will greatly improve readiness. I think “major redesign effort” is a misleading description, though. Makes it sound like a whole different aircraft is coming out.