• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I think all versions of Navy 60s had some iteration of deice/anti ice, but I can’t remember ever actually seeing it installed. A lot of times the cables to the slip rings were cut and taped over.

Having flown on both coasts, I can confidently say I've never seen that, and have only flown one 60S where the de-ice was hard down for a very long time. The ones I'm flying now I have had to use the anti and de-ice fairly often, and so far, to good effect.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
On the H-46, the crude heated blades, engine inlets and windshields were remarkably effective - not transport category levels of protection but would do the job. You had to have it on before encountering ice buildup - but I can remember plenty of times low IMC around the boat in winter - invetitably shoes would steer the boat where the wx was vs that clear patch that you could see was "right over there". Stub wings and pylons were ice magnets.

croakerfish

pilot
Having flown on both coasts, I can confidently say I've never seen that, and have only flown one 60S where the de-ice was hard down for a very long time. The ones I'm flying now I have had to use the anti and de-ice fairly often, and so far, to good effect.
Where are you flying? I haven’t seen functional de-ice on an HSC-3 bird yet. I’m sure the fleet squadrons maintain it.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Where are you flying? I haven’t seen functional de-ice on an HSC-3 bird yet. I’m sure the fleet squadrons maintain it.
Ah, you know what, as a CAT I in the FRS, I probably had no idea if it was working or not. I was referring to my fleet squadrons. San Diego and Norfolk. In San Diego, we had 1 bird that had it installed but it never worked and was an open gripe for the 3 years I was there; the rest worked, although I think I used it once.

So far in a Norfolk squadron, it's been on deployment that I've had to use the system to its full extent although I am sure winter in Norfolk presents the opportunity to use it as well.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The de-ice system in the -60 is modular and is a kit, designed to be removed when desired. Typically FL, CA, and HI squadrons don't have them installed at home. If a deployment is going somewhere cold, they can get the kits from the Wing (or from on-hand if they've continued to manage the system).

I've seen cut de-ice harness like IBB said as well. It's an indication of a lazy Mx department, or lazy Wing. If you zip-tie the breakers and pull out the control box from the center console, you're not going to burn up the blades accidentally. Even the Bravos had the kits right up until sundown, they just took some grooming to get them to work.

As an aside, the SD to Vegas mishap aircraft had a functioning de-ice system and the crew turned it on after they started accumulating ice. Something I never heard debriefed whenever this mishap was discussed was that the crew started hearing a knocking-type sound after turning on the de-ice. The crew reported it but didn't seem to know what it was. Sikorsky said it was most likely the ice shedding off the blades and hitting the fuselage, and the sound is expected and means everything is working well.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sikorsky said it was most likely the ice shedding off the blades and hitting the fuselage, and the sound is expected and means everything is working well.
Used to happen on turbo prop aircraft I flew. The Jetstream actually had a reinforced band around the fuselage like a torpedo belt on a ship where the ice would strike. First time I heard it scared the crap out of me.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Used to happen on turbo prop aircraft I flew. The Jetstream actually had a reinforced band around the fuselage like a torpedo belt on a ship where the ice would strike. First time I heard it scared the crap out of me.

Knowing the system was working makes the mishap even more tragic than it already was. There was a lot of politics that went into that SIR, but unfortunately I don't think any NOTE for NATOPS came out of the ice-shedding information. I don't ever remember seeing anything in the Icing section for the Bravo and it's not in there for the Romeo, either (unless it's in the checklist...but I don't think so).

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Every fleet bird I flew in Norfolk from 2012-2016 had functional deice. Occasionally you'd see PMC for de-ice, but it wouldn't be for long. Having said that, never flew in icing in a helo.

First time in legit icing in the airlines was interesting, but now it's become "not a big deal".

ChuckMK23

pilot
Every fleet bird I flew in Norfolk from 2012-2016 had functional deice. Occasionally you'd see PMC for de-ice, but it wouldn't be for long. Having said that, never flew in icing in a helo.

First time in legit icing in the airlines was interesting, but now it's become "not a big deal".
Even in GA, icing is something you manage ... or else I'd have to hangar my aircraft from December - April. Having a plan in hand, already thought out when it develops is key.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Lots of confusion on the type of aircraft involved in mishap. Too many 2's. Some ADS-B spotters claim the hex code of subject aircraft associated historically with a C-2. We'll obviously find out in the morning.

Best-22

None
Yeah the initial reports didn't make sense at all on this one. Callsign was from the C-2/E-2 training squadron, next to the training squadron's base, crew of 3, reports that the tail separated in flight... not sure why people jumped to the conclusion of Osprey crash.