• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
My understanding is that VRC (and now VRM) uses this unique paint job to identify them as a non-combat cargo aircraft for when they fly into foreign airfields. There was discussion of changing the paint though.
Are there places that care? Pretty much any other cargo aircraft as mentioned above is grey
No idea. All I know on the subject is what I shared above. I pushed the I believe button and moved on but the VRC guys seemed to think it was important.

Deep state VRM Conspiracy theory: paint them in a non-tactical paint job to avoid being assigned tactical missions (i.e.: PR/SOF/things that MH-60S was supposed to do if it were funded/trained/fueled appropriately).

taxi1

pilot
It does make sense since there are tactical armed variants, to give it a clear discriminator.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
It does make sense since there are tactical armed variants, to give it a clear discriminator.
Of course our adversary does not care - a white top bird is equally a target...in battle logistical support aircraft most certainly will be sought out. I assume the countermeasures are similar to AF CV-22 or Marine MV-22...

Pags

N/A
pilot
Of course our adversary does not care - a white top bird is equally a target...in battle logistical support aircraft most certainly will be sought out. I assume the countermeasures are similar to AF CV-22 or Marine MV-22...
Not CV and depends which MV config. They're essentially the same config that as a Block C/MCOI MV off of the production line.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Deep state VRM Conspiracy theory: paint them in a non-tactical paint job to avoid being assigned tactical missions (i.e.: PR/SOF/things that MH-60S was supposed to do if it were funded/trained/fueled appropriately).
Probably depends which part of VRM, the former VRC or the former HSC bubbas that you're talking about. That and whatever CNAF has a plan for. The CNAF thing should probably go first.

Last edited:

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Probably depends which part of VRM, the former VRC or the former HSC bubbas that you're talking about. That and whatever CNAF has a plan for. The CNAF thing should probably go first.

FWIW the VRC guys I know want no tactics. The guys I know from HSC that jumped ship are doing their best to also avoid them.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let’s also face the reality of tacticool missions: you can’t do that and succeed at the COD mission. The COD requirements already are barely met by a 3 aircraft det. To add missions, you would need more aircraft, more crews, more maintenance teams, and more space on the ship.

Just because an aircraft is capable of an additional mission doesn’t mean it can do both missions at the same time.

As for the fugly paint scheme… yes, that’s traditional for the COD mission of flying into civilian airfields, especially for DV missions.