• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Church Recommendations

Rg9

pilot
Moving frequently has made it an almost continuous exercise for us to find good churches, as I'm sure is true for others as well, and I didn't see any discussion focused on this topic.

So I thought I'd go out on a limb here and see what recommendations people had for churches in different locations (as is common sense, no bashing churches please, only recommendations). Hopefully it will help some.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Thanks Rg9, I thought about asking about these as well. Obviously I'm wondering about P'Cola, since I haven't been through OCS yet.

Rg9

pilot
To start...

NAS's Pensacola/Whiting: Calvary Chapel Gulf Breeze... solid biblical teaching, good fellowship in their small groups even though they're pretty big (1000 maybe?), great atmosphere, they've been trying to do some ministry at NAS P'Cola

NAS Corpus Christi: The Summit Church (formerly Faith Temple)... great music, very loving people, good size (300 or so maybe), seemed like there were always flight students coming through (even knew an anti-mine ship - forgot what they're called - CO from Ingleside who went there), the teaching wasn't incredibly in depth but the fellowship made up for anything lacking: my wife and I drove to Mexico with them to help build a house, and the pastor came to my winging (he's been to a few)

NAS Jacksonville: Still looking... any advice?

Lastly, if you weren't familiar, Officer Christian Fellowship has groups all over, as well as The Navigators (which is generally a much smaller, one-on-one type ministry focused on discipleship - the people in this organization have blessed me beyond words in so many ways).

Again, hope this helps some.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I'm Catholic.

In P-Cola, I usually just went to church at the base chapel. I also went to Little Flower church for a while (when my wife was their music director).

Here in Oak Harbor, we've found that St. Mary (in Anacortes) or St. Augustine (In OH) are the best bets.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
I liked Bay Area Fellowship in Corpus Christi, for us non denominational types

MasterBates

BAF was good as well, but now that they have become a "megachurch" complete with HUGE place out by Cabaniss, have not been.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
My family and I go to the base Chapel. It makes it easy when you PCS and you support the base at the same time. They seem to be downsizing the Chaplains though. The Chaplain here does the service on both bases.

eaw75

For Catholics in San Diego, I highly recommend Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala. It is California's first mission; a beautiful church and a great parish. They are also very supportive of the military. When I was deployed on my IA to Iraq, while my wife was pregnant with our first child, they went out of their way to check in on my family... unfortunately, I can't say the same for my command at the time.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
My family and I go to the base Chapel. It makes it easy when you PCS and you support the base at the same time. They seem to be downsizing the Chaplains though. The Chaplain here does the service on both bases.

I don't think that's a downsizing thing so much as chaplains not joining the service.

That said, I attended both the chapels at P-cola and Whiting. The NASP chapel is a lot bigger than the congregation at Whiting (a much bigger base obviously).

In Corpus my wife and I tried BAF but ended up going to Real Life Fellowship. It's currently on the corner of Holly and Staples but will be moving temporarily out to Flour Bluff before their permanent buidling is finished.

Pilot123

pilot
OCF is an awesome deal, especially in Pensacola. There are three groups there (PCola South, North, and Milton). The couple, Mike and Arden Patterson, run the north group and are awesome people! They do dinner every Wednesday evening at 6PM in their home and follow it up with a bible study and fellowship. A great place to meet other military people and couples.