• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS China's CV is getting real.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From one perspective it is fascinating to see them start their program from scratch, obviously emulating us as much as they can down to the colored jerseys. On the other I think it is just a hint of the long-term threat we will face from the subsequent carriers the Chinese will operate.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From one perspective it is fascinating to see them start their program from scratch, obviously emulating us as much as they can down to the colored jerseys. On the other I think it is just a hint of the long-term threat we will face from the subsequent carriers the Chinese will operate.

The Chinese method for pretty much everything is to start with an exact copy of whatever it is - technology, techniques, procedures - and then refine or customize it based on their needs, and what they discover during their testing and development. They don't reinvent the wheel if they don't have to. With a decades-successful US/UK/French CATOBAR CV model, plus whatever they bought or stole from the Russians and Ukrainians as part of buying the now-Liaoning, to copy, they don't have to.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Chinese method for pretty much everything is to start with an exact copy of whatever it is - technology, techniques, procedures - and then refine or customize it based on their needs, and what they discover during their testing and development. They don't reinvent the wheel if they don't have to. With a decades-successful US/UK/French CATOBAR CV model, plus whatever they bought or stole from the Russians and Ukrainians as part of buying the now-Liaoning, to copy, they don't have to.

Yes, what I meant was actual ops. But you are pretty spot on with your description for many things, they are doing plenty else on their own now too though.

In other news, they just announced they are building their own carrier now.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
All fine and good, but... do they log their drills in CV Sharp? If not, they didn't happen!!! And their readiness sucks!!!

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Does anyone know if China tried to buy France's two ex-Russian Mistral helo carriers?

That would have been a bargain and a force multiplier, coupled with the Liaoning. Game changer for the SCS.

France ended up selling to India - no friend of China - but I wonder if China made an offer.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
They actually sold them to Egypt of all places.

Egypt just purchased 46 Alligator naval attack helos from Russia for their carriers - good looking machine.

http://www.defensenews.com/story/de...ian-navy-with-46-ka-52k-helicopters/78182410/

112ffd77621428e508d3fb0ccf9d433f.jpeg

jmcquate

Contributor
Egypt just purchased 46 Alligator naval attack helos from Russia for their carriers - good looking machine.
Who thought it was a good idea to sell Egypt a small deck and attack helicopters?!? Who is an Egyptian naval threat besides NATO (meaning us).

jmcquate

Contributor
Mostly to protect the Suez Canal, I bet. Maybe also to deter Iran, Israel, AQIM, Palestinian factions in Gaza/Sinai, and/or internal dissidents.
Suez is fine, we protect that ditch. All the others you listed don't have navy's (littoral does'nt count).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Egypt has long been an ally and have bought lots of our gear and have continued to receive U.S. training support (for their fleet, not TRACOM), even after the Arab Spring.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Suez is fine, we protect that ditch. All the others you listed don't have navy's (littoral does'nt count).
Just because they don't have navies doesn't mean they don't have targets for helo-launched AGMs. Egypt saw what happened to the government in Yemen (even with the backing of U.S./Saudi air support). The two Mistrals are perfect for parking offshore in the Red Sea or Med, and doing power projection inland.

jmcquate

Contributor
I understand that Gator. What I'm not getting is how this capability enhances our military relationship. The Egyptian military has been used for internal control (and commercial enterprises) since the 72' war.