• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CG Outlook 2012

It's too bad I decided to explore this branch at the time I did. It seems I've missed the early 2012 OCS cutoff by a few months. I wasn't discouraged though, in my eyes it just gave me more time to prepare for the next board. I've been reading as much as I can about the process, and it seems fairly similar to the other military branches. So, I thought I would contact a recruiter and get the forms going, etc. I tried to contact the St. Louis recruiter, and I'm almost certain he's just picking up the phone and setting it back down. I talked to the Chicago recruiter and was told to read the website, everything I need to know is there (I have, and obviously still have questions). She also said there may not even be any more OCS selectees for 2012. The chat feature on the website has been "temporarily disabled." I hate to be so negative after only speaking to ONE person, but talk about a let down. I was pumped before today.

For some reason I was under the impression that the outlook was good for CG hopefuls. I suppose I can still contact the recruiters for the Indy/Louisville locations and see if they are more helpful. All I was hoping for was to find out which programs I may be applicable for, and which forms I need to fill out to get things moving. Anyone care to improve my morale?

Unfortunately, I've experience the same thing with the Navy. The only branch that has seemed interested in me at all is USAF. I've been somewhat sidetracked recently though, and need to try contacting the recruiters again. Or just start showing up in their offices on my days off, haha.

Brunes

pilot
1) There are no officer recruiters in the CG. You've gotta talk to folks at the Academy Admissions Depart or OCS program office or find the info for yourself. The website really does have everything...It's what our active duty education services folks use to set up OCS applications too.
2) IDK that any service is "good" There is less money which means less jobs and in turn less new people needed as folks try to keep the jobs they have longer. It is going to be a lot of work to get a slot in any service...Good luck!!

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
Regardless, don"t give up. With any branch.... The air force told me while I was applying that the only chance I ever had was enlisting because of the academy. Clearly, not the case. I wanted Navy and stayed persistent to get the information I needed. Applied and was a non select and applied again with twice the application. Timing is rarely perfect, but effort will pay off. Good luck

I will have to do a search and come up with some contacts to the OCS Program Office. That seems like a more direct route to the information I would need. I do agree the website has everything you need in terms of supplying all of the forms and general information on OCS. But, some guidance on which forms apply to each candidate and discussing eligibility for some of the programs available for aviator hopefuls is what I need.

For instance I believe I was eligible for the Blue 21 Program before it was phased out. Aviation degree with 3.2 GPA, and instrument rated Private Pilot with 200 hours (soon to be Commercial/Multi, and CFI). I also have experience as an A&P Mechanic and thought that may, if nothing else, improve my "whole person" and show some dedication and leadership qualities. Well, now it appears that Blue 21 has been replaced by the WIFI program and has tightened the eligibility requirements. The brief descriptions on the site leads me to believe that my only real shot at this now is OCS and hoping I am lucky enough to make to flight school.

I feel like I need a few players on my team to help with the process because so far recruiters seem largely uninterested in my progression. I can't say I blame them, they probably get so many people calling saying "I want to be a pilot," and I'm sure half of them have zero clue what is in store or what it takes to become a military pilot, let alone have a resume that can back up that decision. I don't mean to sound conceited but it really makes it difficult for those who do have a shot at making this a reality.

Like you all have suggested though, there's not much a guy can do besides keep keep his nose to the grindstone. It's almost as if the application process is a "weed out" tool in itself.

NavyOffRec - Is the Navy looking for FW pilots in the near future? I tried to submit the generic application on the Navy website and tried contacting a few recruiters via phone and e-mail with no results. I need to revisit those efforts if you believe it's a viable option for the next few years.

exNavyOffRec

I will have to do a search and come up with some contacts to the OCS Program Office. That seems like a more direct route to the information I would need. I do agree the website has everything you need in terms of supplying all of the forms and general information on OCS. But, some guidance on which forms apply to each candidate and discussing eligibility for some of the programs available for aviator hopefuls is what I need.

For instance I believe I was eligible for the Blue 21 Program before it was phased out. Aviation degree with 3.2 GPA, and instrument rated Private Pilot with 200 hours (soon to be Commercial/Multi, and CFI). I also have experience as an A&P Mechanic and thought that may, if nothing else, improve my "whole person" and show some dedication and leadership qualities. Well, now it appears that Blue 21 has been replaced by the WIFI program and has tightened the eligibility requirements. The brief descriptions on the site leads me to believe that my only real shot at this now is OCS and hoping I am lucky enough to make to flight school.

I feel like I need a few players on my team to help with the process because so far recruiters seem largely uninterested in my progression. I can't say I blame them, they probably get so many people calling saying "I want to be a pilot," and I'm sure half of them have zero clue what is in store or what it takes to become a military pilot, let alone have a resume that can back up that decision. I don't mean to sound conceited but it really makes it difficult for those who do have a shot at making this a reality.

Like you all have suggested though, there's not much a guy can do besides keep keep his nose to the grindstone. It's almost as if the application process is a "weed out" tool in itself.

NavyOffRec - Is the Navy looking for FW pilots in the near future? I tried to submit the generic application on the Navy website and tried contacting a few recruiters via phone and e-mail with no results. I need to revisit those efforts if you believe it's a viable option for the next few years.
let me explain how that website thing works, you put your info in, it goes through a few systems into one called Rtools, this system was designed for enlisted recruiting and now we are attempting to make it work for the officer side, your name goes into a pool at the NRD and someone has to assign your record to an OR, then the OR has to know how to use Rtools correctly and if he sees your name he will call you, if he isn't overloaded with other duties, of which there are many, they have increased the duties of an OR but the number of personnel have not increased.

Pilots one of the few designators we are looking for, but whether or not you get FW is not determined until you are in the pipeline.

If you can tell me what major city you are near I should be able to give you a contact person and number.

sardaddy

pilot
You have to remember the CG is a small service. Our recruiters are officer and enlisted recruiters. They also cover entire states with one or two recruiters. They will contact you when they have an opportunity but they are extremely busy.

If you have already looked at gocoastguard.com and have questions you can ask them here and we will try to help you out or you can keep trying to contact a recruiter. This isn't the Navy or Army where the recruiters have to actively pursue candidates. CG recruiters are historically overwhelmed with applicants for very few spots. They will eventually get in touch with you.

By the way, who told you the outlook was good for CG hopefuls? People can still get in but we are having to kick out people who don't want to leave on the enlisted side because the promotions for junior members are moving at Glacial speeds. Officer advancements are not much better. Two years ago the typical wait from getting selected for O4 and pinning it on was 2 years. Our OCS programs went from three selections boards a year picking up 50 or more people on each board to two a year who have picked up as few as 6 each.

It isn't hopeless for new personnel but it isn't easy either. Most CG members love this service. We have a higher retention rate than any other service. Since there are fewer slots and a lot of applicants CG recruiters can be selective on who they want to bring in.

So again, be patient they will call and help you get the process going. If you can't wait, you can keep calling but don't be a pest. The squeaky wheel doesn't always get the grease. Sometimes it gets taken to the trash pile and burned.

exNavyOffRec

You have to remember the CG is a small service. Our recruiters are officer and enlisted recruiters. They also cover entire states with one or two recruiters. They will contact you when they have an opportunity but they are extremely busy.

If you have already looked at gocoastguard.com and have questions you can ask them here and we will try to help you out or you can keep trying to contact a recruiter. This isn't the Navy or Army where the recruiters have to actively pursue candidates. CG recruiters are historically overwhelmed with applicants for very few spots. They will eventually get in touch with you.

By the way, who told you the outlook was good for CG hopefuls? People can still get in but we are having to kick out people who don't want to leave on the enlisted side because the promotions for junior members are moving at Glacial speeds. Officer advancements are not much better. Two years ago the typical wait from getting selected for O4 and pinning it on was 2 years. Our OCS programs went from three selections boards a year picking up 50 or more people on each board to two a year who have picked up as few as 6 each.

It isn't hopeless for new personnel but it isn't easy either. Most CG members love this service. We have a higher retention rate than any other service. Since there are fewer slots and a lot of applicants CG recruiters can be selective on who they want to bring in.

So again, be patient they will call and help you get the process going. If you can't wait, you can keep calling but don't be a pest. The squeaky wheel doesn't always get the grease. Sometimes it gets taken to the trash pile and burned.

It also depends on the quality of CG recruiters in the area (this goes for the other services as well), in my area I have met the CG recruiters at several school events, I and the other services and gov't agencies were not impressed, they should up late to the event, left early one was visibly overweight and they were in coveralls at an event were the other services were in dress uniforms, I have had family members that served in the CG and these recruiters looked bad. I would not expect good service from the ones I saw, a recruiter that takes time to put on a nice uniform, show up on time, and stay as long as it takes to answer peoples questions is going to put quality time in with you and getting your application together.

sardaddy - The questions I had right out of the gate would be pertaining to my application package and given my resume, which programs I would or would not be eligible to enter. The way I read the website, my only chance is OCS since Blue 21 has been removed. But, sometimes the right people can pull some strings and give suggestions on how to apply for certain programs. Then, depending on which direction I end up going I would need to know which forms are required, and all of the other items I would need to collect for a complete package (letters of rec, transcripts, work history, personal statement). And finally, what is my timeframe on submitting my package. At this time, there are no scheduled boards for the upcoming year. But, I'm sure there is talk of whether one is needed or not and prospective dates, if so.

I'm really not sure why I had it in my mind it was a good time for hopefuls. I read out of 5 different forums and it's very possible I browsed a thread from several years ago thinking it was current info. I will take your advice and be patient and let the process work itself, but you know how it is to be excited about something. You want all the info pronto so you can get moving towards the goal.

exNavyOffRec

It is not just CG, but other services as well, people looking to join don't just walk into the office blind, they do research, I have had applicants tell me recruiters have told them various things such as "go enlisted first, you have a better chance at being an officer", "go infantry then do a designator change to be a pilot", "we only take pilots from the Acadamy", "if you join the CG you won't go overseas", or the one from 2 weeks ago "if you join the Navy you will be deployed on a ship for several years and only come back for repairs". These recruiters were caught in lies and people talk so others will know.

I guarantee you there are some USN recruiters that have done the same, these are the ones that end up failing, and that is sad because recruiting officers is easy.

I could look back years with all the people I have dealt with and get a decent number, but given I don't have access to my work computer so I can't, I can however tell you in the past 2 or 3 months I am now working with 2 who were working with the USMC (one wants SEAL, the other Pilot), 1 who was working with Army (probably not getting in), 2 from USAF (one Pilot, one engineer but this one is more like 5 months).

The one who was working with USMC tried to work with USCG, became frustrated and then tried USMC.

exNavyOffRec

... but, if you start by mopping the shi**er in a big grey ship, you can have the opportunity to end up like Maverick in Top Gun~

I am not trying to minimize what you do... I was just replying to your statement that was indicating the bad CG recruiters are helping to point folks in your direction.
In my area they have, but I am sure there are honest, hard working ones out there. I have been around enough to know if you lie to an individual that enters the service that you have the beginnings of a cancer in someones division, I would rather be blunt with an applicant and have them not join.

I have had to confront a substandard Navy OR myself, the COC became aware of the problem, and this person had it documented in FITREPS.