• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Centennial Paint Schemes

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I continue to be baffled by what -41 was going for here. The HSC-3 paint job is another one. I understand painting something in a legacy paint job, but shouldn't it be YOUR legacy and not someone else's? To me, it seems like the Romeo should be painted like the Sierra and the Sierra should be green like a Phrog.

So what do think they were going for in this "event"?

47815_424642892682_165050697682_5137994_3272485_n.jpg

Only the bunny knows for sure....;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
194033_207115332635586_165347483479038_862654_4010117_o.jpg

Arguably the most famous MPRA callsign/paint scheme: Strawberry 5

@ Dev, indeed some paint Retro schemes seem to somewhat tenuous or not part of a family tree relationship, but this one is the most appropriate of them all IMHO

I'd agree, for MPRA. That looks sharp. But if you're going to go retro for HSL/M, go with the Hookey-Tuke blue.

So what do think they were going for in this "event"?

47815_424642892682_165050697682_5137994_3272485_n.jpg

Only the bunny knows for sure....;)

Hopefully they weren't going for a lake.

How much does one of these paint schemes run?

I think our estimate was ~$20,000...I think. The order of magnitude is right, I just can't remember if it was a 2 or not.

KBayDog

When do all these birds get un-painted? At their next trip to the depot? Or do we go grey (or orange and white) on New Years Day?

Also, any sign of a Centennial Phrog? The closest thing I've seen to a throwback Phrog is Lady Ace 09, at the Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum at NKX:

4582564929_539c9d4235.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are these paint schemes being done by the squadrons themselves? I haven't seen any Marine units doing them, and I'm wondering where the resources are coming from to do these. No matter how cool it looks, I can't see putting an airframes shop out of business for a couple of weeks just to but a bitchin' scheme on one of our planes. Some pinstripes, maybe, but doing a digital design has to take some serious man hours.

All were done by squadrons, except the Growler, which was done by the squadron?

I continue to be baffled by what -41 was going for here. The HSC-3 paint job is another one. I understand painting something in a legacy paint job, but shouldn't it be YOUR legacy and not someone else's? To me, it seems like the Romeo should be painted like the Sierra and the Sierra should be green like a Phrog.

When do all these birds get un-painted? At their next trip to the depot? Or do we go grey (or orange and white) on New Years Day?

Also, any sign of a Centennial Phrog? The closest thing I've seen to a throwback Phrog is Lady Ace 09, at the Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum at NKX:

4582564929_539c9d4235.jpg

Found this brief on the Heritage Paint Scheme caper. Answers a lot of your collective questions

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Found this brief on the Heritage Paint Scheme caper. Answers a lot of your collective questions

That's handy, but alas, still does not answer my question about -41's bird. I know, I'm the fool...trying to understand LAMPS.

I do like all the thought processes of the other aircraft though. Pretty well done. Even if HSC-2 and HSC-3 apparently had the same idea at the same time.

Pags

N/A
pilot
That's handy, but alas, still does not answer my question about -41's bird. I know, I'm the fool...trying to understand LAMPS.

I do like all the thought processes of the other aircraft though. Pretty well done. Even if HSC-2 and HSC-3 apparently had the same idea at the same time.

Yeah, HSC-2's bird has more lineage to their squadron. Capt Thornton flew for HU-2, which was the predecessor to HC-2, which then became HSC-2. 2 even flies from the Thornton Memorial Hangar at Chambers. I would have thought that HSC-3 would have gone with LT Clyde Lassen's H-2 that he earned the Medal of Honor in. HSC-3 even has his citation up in their wardroom.