• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cell phone crack down

FLMarine

The Corpus rent a cops on NAS suck big time. Always hassling you for going just over the limit. My favorite was when I ran out of gas on my motorcycle after duty at about 11pm. I'm in a flight suit and pushing the bike from the VT's to the gas station when one of the rent a morons pulls up beside me and asks me seriously,"there better be a good reason you're pushing a bike this late at night." Of course I answered back,"yeah there is because I like to steal bikes when I'm wearing a flight suit with my name on it." They have no humor. Guy just drives off without saying another word.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh the Whiting guys were total douchebags. I've never had a run-in or a problem with anyone at Meridian.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
S.O.B. said:
Needles to my general opinion of Navy Rent-A-Cops is “D0shbags, fighting the war on terrorism five miles over the speed limit at a time.”

...with nothing better to do than keep the streets safe from speeders and cell phone scofflaws....they were running a trap at Oceana last week and snagging people right and left...I'll push the limit out on the open highway, but not on the base

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Why do we spend the money to have these guys? Couldn't we cut back a few base cops and buy some extra stuff for our planes? Seriously ... why waste the money to have these guys enforce the 2 mile over the speed limit rules? Is there ever a situation where we need all of these guys, or could we stand to cut their numbers down? Seems to me like we could.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
VarmintShooter said:
Why do we spend the money to have these guys? Couldn't we cut back a few base cops and buy some extra stuff for our planes? Seriously ... why waste the money to have these guys enforce the 2 mile over the speed limit rules? Is there ever a situation where we need all of these guys, or could we stand to cut their numbers down? Seems to me like we could.

While I'm not necessarily defending all they do, they do come in handy when you have to arrest someone at the BEQ or when a bunch of dudes come back on base at 3 am completely blasted.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
While I'm not necessarily defending all they do, they do come in handy when you have to arrest someone at the BEQ or when a bunch of dudes come back on base at 3 am completely blasted.
It's all about force protection. You can't just ramp these guys up the next time someone decides to go to FPCON "End of the World," so you have to have a reasonable security force on hand at all times. I will say that I'm against active, organized efforts to make our Sailor's lives harder, even if it's under the guise of "enforcing traffic laws." Hey, if a guy is blatantly speeding, or otherwise being reckless, by all means give him a ticket. Otherwise, leave everyone else alone.

Brett

KBayDog

gatordev said:

Problems which are rampant at NASWF, right? :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
KBayDog said:
Problems which are rampant at NASWF, right? :D

Just broadening the discussion. ;) I was always was waiting to get pulled over on K-Bay for answering the duty phone. That thing never stopped ringing, and I even was coming on base to take care of official business on a weekend one time, and the damn thing rang while I was passing through the gate.

My favorite is to see the Base Police on a cell phone when in their car.

KBayDog

Fly Navy said:
Pull THEM over :icon_smil

Just as long as they haven't seen this:

Driving tip: Don't honk at the cops
Student protests police using flashers to run red light

CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee (AP) -- A Tennessee judge gave a college student a driving lesson in court this week: don't correct the police.

Clay Palmer, a student at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, honked his car horn when he saw a policeman turn on blue flashers to pass through a red traffic light. The officer then turned the flashers off after moving through the intersection.

Palmer said officer Matthew Puglise then stopped his patrol car and issued him a ticket for honking his horn for no reason -- a violation of the city noise ordinance.

The charge was reduced to a warning Wednesday when he went before a judge who told him he acted wrongly.

"The horn blowing is not the real problem here, it's that you were trying to correct the police and they didn't need correcting," Judge Russell Bean said.

Palmer left traffic court saying he still believed officers were abusing their authority.

"I see this cop with his blue lights come screeching up beside me and I didn't know what was going on," Palmer said. "Before they got to the next light, I could see they turned their blue lights off."

Officer Puglise said he was helping fellow police track down a speeder when Palmer saw him pass through the red light.

Judge Bean said Puglise was right and Palmer was wrong.

"I expect officers to follow the rules like everyone else," Bean said.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Police officers don't always respond with lights and sirens, but will engage them when necessary. That makes sense.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
gatordev said:
As for the civilian side, many states do already have laws which require headsets. Guess what? Cell phone related accidents didn't really go down. It's not the holding of the cell phone, it's being distracted while driving. I can run three radios while flying, having my head in a TACAID, and slapping my H2P around, but I still hate driving w/ cell phones, and hate driving around people on cellphones even more.

I don't see how talking in a hands-free device is any less distracting than talking to a passenger. Dialing is only slightly more distracting than tuning your in-dash FM. I don't see how cell phones became a new category of accident.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pulling police over

Fly Navy said:
Pull THEM over :icon_smil

It was actually done by the legendary Joe Satrapa decades ago at Pt Mugu during his "war" with the base police. "Hoser" was a gifted fighter pilot from another age and he LOVED anything to do with firearms. He used to mine the ranges for spent lead to use for sling shot ammo (also reputedly "fished" with hand grenades). Police used to chase him off so he started stalking them and pulling them over for slightest infraction on their parts. Finally, the base CO intervened and gave Hoser "mining" rights in exchange for truce over him stalking the base police....later Hoser got caught at Oceana with an AK-47 in his pickup (oops) and blew his thumb off testing 20mm rounds in his single shot 20mm weapon he built and was testing in his own backyard near Fallon (doctors attached one of his toes to his hand so he could still fly).

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
heyjoe said:
It was actually done by the legendary Joe Satrapa decades ago at Pt Mugu during his "war" with the base police. "Hoser" was a gifted fighter pilot from anothe rage and he LOVED anything to do with firearms. He used to mine the ranges for spent lead to use for sling shot ammo (also reputedly "fished" with hand grenades). Police used to chase him off so he started stalking them and pulling them over for slightest infraction on their parts. Finally, the base CO intervened and gave Hoser "mining" rights in exchange for truce over him stalking the base police....later Hoser got caught at Oceana with an AK-47 in his pickup (oops) and blew his thumb off testing 20mm rounds in his single shot 20mm weapon he built and was testing in his own backyard near Fallon (doctors attached one of his toes to his hand so he could still fly).

anim_lol.gif

Now that's what I'm talking about! I want to party with that guy!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PSno23 said:
I don't even think that you can't even wear a handsfree device to use your cell phone.

So you're saying you can wear a handsfree device...

Huh?

I didn't do nothin'