• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cell phone crack down

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnugg said:
So you're saying you can wear a handsfree device...

Huh?

I didn't do nothin'
Ahh, we're all familiar with the double negative, but what about the seldom employed triple negative? "I ain't didn't do nothing." :D

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
anim_lol.gif

Now that's what I'm talking about! I want to party with that guy!

You don't know the half of it...

Hoser was famous before he even got his wings...first claim to notoriety was as a Mid. After racking up so many demerits, he figured he'd the best of it trying to be the "Anchor Man" (combo of worst grades and most demerits). Everyone chipped in a back so anchorman walked away with some cash. Hoser missed it by one. He flew the F-8 and RA-5 over Viet Nam and EVERYONE figured the only reason he didn't get a MiG was none were flying when he was airborne. He was so wild that when he reported to VX-4, his last squadron sent a condolence card to his new command. In those days, they took out the new guys in an F-4 with the top stick to humble the new guy in order to show him how much he didn't know (VX-4 was best of the best in tactics development). Hoser proceeded to have his way with the senior F-4 guy even though he had never flown the F-4 before. That got him immediate selection to learn the Tomcat and participate in the famed AIM/ACEVAL T&E at Nellis followed by orders to VF-101 as a gunnery instructor where he dressed up like Patton and gave a fire breathing speech to standing room audiences as part of gunnery syllabus. He taught the whole community how to shootm but he was so wild that he was a terminal LCDR that everyone wanted to be. After retiring as an 0-4 in eighties, SECNAV Lehman figured bringing him back would be a big morale boost and imporve readiness. He called Hoser at his cabin and said "what would it take?" Hoser said, "Make me a commander!" and Lehman did (not as easy as he thought, but with a White House intervention on his behalf, it happened).

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
heyjoe said:
It was actually done by the legendary Joe Satrapa decades ago at Pt Mugu during his "war" with the base police. "Hoser" was a gifted fighter pilot from another age and he LOVED anything to do with firearms. He used to mine the ranges for spent lead to use for sling shot ammo (also reputedly "fished" with hand grenades). Police used to chase him off so he started stalking them and pulling them over for slightest infraction on their parts. Finally, the base CO intervened and gave Hoser "mining" rights in exchange for truce over him stalking the base police....later Hoser got caught at Oceana with an AK-47 in his pickup (oops) and blew his thumb off testing 20mm rounds in his single shot 20mm weapon he built and was testing in his own backyard near Fallon (doctors attached one of his toes to his hand so he could still fly).

His callsign was changed to "Toeser"

No kidding...met him at Fallon...just don't stare at the thumb.

KBayDog

Brett327 said:
Ahh, we're all familiar with the double negative, but what about the seldom employed triple negative? "I ain't didn't do nothing." :D

Brett

Who needs to learn English? :icon_tong

Why aren't these knowledges shared in the "Lib. Art vs. Physics" thread?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
etnuclearsailor said:
I don't see how talking in a hands-free device is any less distracting than talking to a passenger. Dialing is only slightly more distracting than tuning your in-dash FM. I don't see how cell phones became a new category of accident.

You'd think. But it seems more often than not that the "idiot" in front of you is talking on a cell phone and not the passenger. Some think tank did a study recently on this and that's where the stat came from. I can't remember who it was though. Sure, it was only one study, but an interesting data point, nonetheless.